Flaps and elevator mix

Advert

Thats what i am trying to find out . I thought ( maybe wrongly ) that long winged gliders did one thing and short winged aircraft went the opposite direction but as i have said could well be wrong so if nose rises when flaps are lowered Ill have to programme in some down elevator to compensate

Thanks

Mike

Different planes do different things. Best way is to watch what the plane does when you hit the flaps. Unless you use a delay you will notice a balloning of the plane for a few seconds so let that happen before you check if to add up or down

It can go either way - depends on whether the flaps move the centre of lift forwards or backwards.

Most commonly the nose goes up - but it is by no means 100% the case. Really you need to fly the model with no mix and try the flaps at height and deployment airspeed and note what happens. Then add your mix bit by bit until you have it right.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/05/2011 15:30:58:
It can go either way - depends on whether the flaps move the centre of lift forwards or backwards.

Most commonly the nose goes up - but it is by no means 100% the case. Really you need to fly the model with no mix and try the flaps at height and deployment airspeed and note what happens. Then add your mix bit by bit until you have it right.

BEB

Well i have learned something different today! thanks BEB

Posted by Dorset flyer on 15/05/2011 15:22:41:
Doesnt the nose usually rise due to the increased lift of the flaps?
that does depend on at what speed as centre of pressure does move over the chord of the wing when speed ie air flow is increased or decreased
cheers mark full size glider pilot and instructor