The joy of slope

Advert

Well no show by Conwy Soarer - work must have got in the way
However, old friend and fellow forumite Alex leigh showed up as promised, along with his flying mate Geoff.
Here's Geoff who appears to have dropped his transmitter, Alex in t'middle, and local model destroyer (but luckily also ace builder /repairer) "Rocket" Ron Cooper.

We were also graced with the presence of supremo sloper Paul Jubb - but he went camera shy, as did latecomer Steve Streetly
( Steve you wont forget to "tart the jart" for me will ya mate )
Decent collection of models for just 5 flyers, including my Jart LT, BAE hawk, microfloh, foamy wildthings and Weasals, compo Vectors and some nice big scale stuff from Paul.

This time with Tx in hand, Geoff lobs a big 'un off the edge

And Alex looks like he needs the toilet again

I wonder if this is why he landed so far behind the LZ

On a more serious note, we all enjoyed the usual smooth booming orme lift, and only a light shower interrupted us briefly. I think Alex really enjoyed some combat fun amongst the more serious moulded stuff, and went home with a big grin on his face.
Although a seriously good smacking from Alex's 46" WT saw one of my servo horns get semi-stripped off the splines - it was simply not enough to prevent me retain the honours overall for the Welsh team though .
Dont make it so long until the next beating boys....

Yeah unfortunately jobs came first - I forgot its Cosford this weekend, I was planning to camp all weekend but in view of the forecast just going for the day. Glad everybody had a good fly!

Myself and several members from Basingstoke go to our regular slope whwnever the wind is in the right direction. Apart from the serious models we all fly Zagi's for combat sessions which usually has us giggling and laughing insanely. The Zagi is the best value for money,as it's virtually indestructable so is good for complete novices as well as us loonies. Zagi combat is a great stress reliever as well.

It was a great day I let Tim win after sending his Wildthing into "the spinning foamy of death" which nearly lacerated all of us as it scythed back into the slope.

Last time i was at the Orme, it was 60+ plus and I was a sloping newbie. I left with some broken models and a love of sloping that's never left. It was great to go back and fly some nice gliders in that awesome lift. These guys are so spoilt!

See it wasn't just me who was walking!

Few more here: Flickr

Thanks Tim, Paul, Steve and Ronnie for making us feel so welcome. I had a blast. Don't think my Bird-60 has ever flown that fast

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 15/07/2011 22:27:15

Hope you dont mind ,but seeing as Our slope fest is coming up fast I just thought I may throw a Video up that a new recuit to the slope put together about last years event . he's only 16 and I think he did extremely well and captured the feel of the event. He's also hooked on slope now and champing at the bit for this years event .

Sorry tried to embed the video a few times but just didnt seem to want to play the game for me. 

Edited By stephen wenban on 16/07/2011 00:07:20

Edited By stephen wenban on 16/07/2011 00:08:05

Edited By stephen wenban on 16/07/2011 00:10:19

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 16/07/2011 09:11:03

Posted by Alex Leigh on 15/07/2011 20:55:53:
It was a great day I let Tim win after sending his Wildthing into "the spinning foamy of death" which nearly lacerated all of us as it scythed back into the slope.

Last time i was at the Orme, it was 60+ plus and I was a sloping newbie. I left with some broken models and a love of sloping that's never left. It was great to go back and fly some nice gliders in that awesome lift. These guys are so spoilt!

See it wasn't just me who was walking!

Few more here: Flickr

Thanks Tim, Paul, Steve and Ronnie for making us feel so welcome. I had a blast. Don't think my Bird-60 has ever flown that fast

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 15/07/2011 22:27:15

Love that Hawk, it looks soooo real

Yep thanks Tim,
I did exactly that 3 times but it wouldn't work ?
P.S I'm not spring chicken either but I dont mind the music  

Edited By stephen wenban on 16/07/2011 10:43:56

Yes Ken, its my old 'un. I paid £10 for it around 4 years ago at the NATS swapmeet.
It was originally an IC pusher, built from unknown plans, and in a rather sorry state.
I stripped and rebuilt it, recovered, fitted a cockpit, canopy, and pilot, new gear, and working /switchable noselight.
It has had 3 major "incidents" over its time on the slope, including a mid air, lost in fog, and a dumb thumbs incident. One of the crashes required a whole new wing, which Phil Wood cut for me, ( separate thread all about that was done at the time ).
I have used 3 different nose-light systems also, and the latest version uses high wattage 12V LEDs with a heat formed lens made from an old plastic bottle.The main radio gear ( spektrum AR7000 ) is powered by 2s Lipo and regulator.
As I say, its rather tatty close up TBH, but in the air she looks good.
Its also the one in the recent video we posted at the spring PSS meet at the Orme - chasing Phil Cooke's version with his camera in the tail

Flies well, likes a minimum of around 12 -15MPH windspeed, but flown her in 45MPH +

A few pictures show some of the various jobs done over the years.

One of the first mechanical jobs after purchase was to change that terrible AMT axle and horn arrangement that some one had bodged. This was driven by aan equally sloppy snake arrangement from a servo up front.

Removing the engine obviously meant that weight would be needed at the back end, so I made up a new aluminium axle and screwed "horn" which is driven directly by a full sixe high torque digital servo mounted in the same space.

High power LED cluster - fed from a separate 3s lipo. My home made "GloNGo" electronic switch controls the noselight operation via the spare gear channel.

Literally all that was left after one incident - wings disappeared!
Still smiling though

First look back home shows rather a lot of damage.

A bit of work here and there, some handy foam offcuts for wing seats, turtle decking and fairings etc, and shes getting there....

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 16/07/2011 10:53:25

Posted by stephen wenban on 16/07/2011 10:42:39:
Yep thanks Tim,
I did exactly that 3 times but it wouldn't work ?
P.S I'm not spring chicken either but I dont mind the music

Edited By stephen wenban on 16/07/2011 10:43:56

Did you use the old embed code ?

nice model tim--i've admired it since i joined the forum....... if you are going to bash your head on some more sheds etc......leave a bit of paper in the hawk donating it to the HTP squadron.......we'll send a donation to her indoors for you.....for the knee's up ....

ken anderson ne..1/i saw it first dept....etc... .

Well I went out flying up the Meio today to give the Beevo a thorough work out and, I was disappointed. Wind was 25 - 30mph ish and she struggled, whereas the WT took it in its stride and I was flinging her all about the place doing great big loops, cubans etc. So, I think what I'm going to do is scrounge some 1" wide, 1/4" thick flat steel bar from work and bury it into the wing at the balance point.

Ron Broughton was there too as there had been a MoM comp up the Bwlch on Saturday. He was flying a new model, based on the Weasel but completely different to look at, in fact it looked very similar to THIS , a Stan Yeo design. She flew very well and when he added the ballast, woooooohoooooo, did she go. Very nice.

Steve,
I think you'll find that your probably nose heavy and carrying excess reflex to fly level ,May I suggest moving the cg rearward a little at a time and removing the reflex till its level (meaning zero up trim . You'll also need to reduce the elevator throw down as well but once dialled in it will be fine the beevo's are pretty quick without extra ballast but you need to trim it in .Penetration is not just about AUW its also about a cleanly trimmed wing
IMHO

Stephen

Not sure what you mean by reflex?

The build instructions and the forum thread on RC Groups all said to have the CofG at 8.25 - 8.5 inches from the nose, mine is at 8.25 and seems to fly ok but I will add a little tail weight a bit at a time as you suggest. On the maiden flight I had to give it quite a lot of down trim as it constantly wanted to climb, I've since adjusted that mechanically but after todays flying it still needs more. I set the elevator throw to a 1/4" as suggested in the instructions and 1/2" for aileron. I found the aileron wasn't enough and rolls were very slow and laboured so I increased the aileron throw and rolls were much better.

I'll do what you suggest and let you know, thanks Stephen.

Ok ,
Now your explained it a little better you are in fact a little tail heavy rather than the other way around ,Reflex is an upward trim of the elevons that take up the bottom shape of the airfoil .We have found that dialling the CG in that the best trim is neutral so elevons level with the foil centreline, Obviously by your latest description you need to move the CG forward to achieve this. I use a 20 gram stick on wheel weight and move it forward or backward to achieve the perfect position . temp tape the weight and try a launch , the optimum is zero trim .It will surprize you the difference it will make.