gliding get together?

can it be done? i live next door to LOTS of slopes, but would like to try the orme, etc, can a forum gliding do be sorted??????? ideally, would like 3 classes, combat (best fun you will have with clothes on) aerobatic, or pylon, just for fun, and some nice scale ships, slopes would have to by not up a mountain, i just cant do it anymore, sat on the car bonnet sloping i like,

can it be done, a forum glide-in????????

my area is the lancs yorks border, but willing to travel up to 60 miles post codes ol4,

Advert

I used to arrange such things Alan, but no longer do so "officially" as quite unfairly, I was once assumed to be the "official in charge" of such a do, and was told in no uncertain terms by some jobsworthy spoilsport, that should an "incident"occur I would be deemed to be responsible.
Quite unfair as I say, for the Orme is public access, and is not controlled or policed by any club or whatever these days.

Good effort Alan.

I don't have a glider, well I do but it needs maintenance work and it's not it's turn yet .

However if I had one servicible I think I would like to have a go at sloping as I've never done it.

I'll be keeping an eye on how you go on with this idea, well done for proposing it in the first place.

Ian

Without it appearing to an "official event" I would just remind people that anyone ( with insurance ) is welcome and free to do some sloping on the Orme at anytime.
If you want the chance to meet up with myself and other regulars, just drop me a PM, as we will be happy to meet up and guide you as it were.
Now, if it so happens that a few people all plan on coming on the same day, then thats a fine co-incidence aint it .

• 2 weeks later...
OK Tim, we put my cat in charge so nobody with a sense of self preservation can complain that there is no organisation, anybody who does want to complain they can take it up with him and after we stitch the complainant back together I will be the first to apologise for my pets bad manners.
I cant see that we couldnt make it common knowledge that there is a meeting of friends at the Orme and everyone is invited as long as they are BMFA members or wont be flying, that way everyone is insured who needs it and as we will be there as individuals who just happen to have a bit of friendly rivalry once in the air it should work out OK, just make it plain that it is just a unofficial meet with each individual responsible for his or her own actions.

It's alright for you chuck it and chance it guys, I live in Somerset and hills are at a premium, it ain't so much fun off a bungee. Cheers my friends
Geoff

Webbitstein Builder No 20

Quote from one post
"I cant see that we couldnt make it common knowledge that there is a meeting of friends at the Orme and everyone is invited as long as they are BMFA members or wont be flying"

Quote from another post
" Orme is public access, and is not controlled or policed by any club or whatever these days."

There is insurance outside the BMFA

The "other post" was mine. As a born and bred local and frequent user of the Orme site, I always ask any friends who are thinking of flying it, whether they have insurance. I dont have any jurisdiction over them, or indeed anyone else for that matter, but I DO have a vested interest to see that any flying on the site is done by insured people, for given any accident the council would surely be investigating such matters.
BMFA are by far and away the largest provider of model flying insurance, but yes, I understand others exist. I dont care which, only that they have some - only last week, a flyer let his model get away from him in 40+MPH wind, and scratched the roof of a friends car in the car park. Could have been a lot worse.

Yes I totally agree with you regarding valid insurance. It is a must have and there is no excuse for flying without valid insurance.
I was only gently trying to point out that membership of the BMFA is not a requirement to having valid insurance.