Vantex Edge 540T 88"

One of the few RC shops in NZ was trading on the NZ equivalent of ebay. They advertised the 88" (2.2m) Edge 540T by Vantex as a $1 reserve. I bought it for $320 - normally $799. The auction price attracted me - would not have bought it otherwise.
It is an ARTF and precovered in black and red iron-on plastic. All hardware is included except for spinner and pilot and the hardware itself looked to be good in quality.
It arrived in a huge box but was poorly packed.
2 minor fractures - one to a horizontal stab fixing point and a crack in the rim round the cowl made of grp (which is the size of a bucket). This has 4 clips that slot into the firewall and it is secured by 2 screws from the fuz side, over the tank bay.
The fuselage is made mostly from 3mm or less ply, and balsa longerons with a foam turtle deck. Wood parts are largely laser cut and slotted together. Closer inspection reveals poor tolerances on the interlocking parts with very little glue apparent. However all seemed to be held together ok, out of the box.
The canopy and tank bay cover is one piece giving great access to the capacious fuz. 3mm ply tabs protruding from the front of the canopy that interlocked into the firewall. Vertically arranged tabs slot into the interior of the fuz aft of the canopy and are held in place by 3mm screws from the outside just above the trailing the wing.

The wings are held to the fuz over an aluminium tube and by one bolt and 2 incidence pins of wood dowel per wing. The bolt is a 4mm cap screw retains a washer which in my opinion is too small. I replaced these with a penny washer.

It was a very simple job to put together with little reference to the brief instructions. I chose bluebird MG 616digital servos all round and decided on an AR 9110 power and 3 receiver system, all using 2 2-cell LiFePO4 packs.

Engine is a DLE55 currently with standard exhaust (which I may upgrade).
22x8" carbon prop from HK.

After the first engine run, it became clear that the aforementioned slot-together fuz was struggling to cope with vibration.

Several parts were frankly loose requiring re-gluing so I decided to re-glue as many joins I could reach! This included the now loose cardboard tube in the fuz that secures the aluminium wing-joiner tube.

By the second tank I noticed the cowl was rubbing on the spinner. Close inspection revealed the plastic clips holding on the cowl had broken. I fashioned some more, and simply pressed out the old ones(!). I also put a T-nut at the bottom of the firewall to accept a bolt through the cowl framework as extra security.
On the next flight the canopy came off: the tabs on the front of the canopy were simply too short and released in flight ripping the securing bolt through the fuz sides.
So again I pressed out the old tabs and replaced them with longer ones which I glued in securely, along with the rest of the canopy framework.

The 3rd tankful saw smooth, excellent flight characteristics - until the right wheel fell off.

No, the collet did not loosen. No, the nyloc nut holding on the axle did not shift: the stub-axle fell out of the bolt in flight! (pic below comparing the axles.) It seems it had a fear of heights and decided it was better to jump without a parachute than to wait for a perfect landing... the wheel was recovered but not the stub-axle.

Despite as sweet landing as could have been made, the right U/C leg dragged on the grass and the moment of force ripped the mounting in the fuz. Was I miffed!!! The right wingtip dropped to the gound and the aircraft arced round, prop still turning, without prop-strike or engine bay damage.
New Axles coming - from Dubro...

I have taken out the carnage below the tank bay and repaired the damage. As soon as the axles arrive I'm good to go again.

SO - Apparent value for money, let down by poor build quality, fit of parts and lack of glue! Advice - re-glue ALL joints and consider reinforcing the fuz round the tank bay. Consider removing the tank bay floor and reinforcing the U/C mounting points. Consider replacing the axles with ones of known make.

On the bright side, as a first petrol-engined aerobatic aircraft, its CofG is good with the ignition battery in the trad pace - behind the engine - and it flies beautifully and is probably the easiest plane to fly land I have ever flown. As a first big gasser it totally dwarfs .5Cu In planes and makes mincemeat of the taxi to the airstrip. It's as if it's already halfway there!
It tracks wonderfully in the air and with a great low reliable ignition idle, the loops are of constant radius and speed both in the up and the down line.

For a cheap airframe as a first "gasser" it's ok, but needs inspection and reinforcement in places. Modify as above.

Would I part with $799 for one? Probably not. If I were to buy a 50cc size model again I would seriously consider saving up for better quality.

Advert

Good review Steve,

Any ARTF that I buy gets a thorough examination before assembly: And I now factor in the price of a pack of Epoxy, Cyano & Fibreglassing. ARTF's always come in 'underweight' in my opinion. So adding a half pound in extra weight doesn't seem to hurt them adversley. Moreso with 'gasser's' because of the extra vibration.

Result: They last a bit longer, are less prone to small knock, heavy damage syndrome,so typical of many ARTF's.

BB

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Basildon Biggles on 26/05/2011 13:47:51:
Good review Steve,
I now factor in the price of a pack of Epoxy, Cyano & Fibreglassing.

Thanks for that BB (BTW I used to live in Billericay before my flying days).
Interested to know if you dabble with larger models and if so what you use the fibreglassing for.
I have been flying for around 10 years but this Edge is my first "gasser" and first >10cc engined plane.
I bought an HK 4" aluminium spinner for the Edge. I wrote a review of it for HK as the backplate broke round the prop driver and the subsequent vibration shook the model's engine box to bits, fortunately identified after a successful landing. It is again repaired and reinforced! I have learned a lot with this model, from spark-ignition, high torque servos, battery supply and Rx choice, ARTF reinforcement and trailer-box building for transporting it (I'm very proud of my trailer box).

Hi Steve,

If I can the glassing will be against the engine bulkhead, U/C and dependant on model type in the fuz adding support near the wing mounting areas.

Been flying a 68" Zenoah powered 23cc Petrol powered Wot 4 for the last 18 months

And just finished putting one of these 26cc Katanas together, or rather finding places to hide the wiring. It's a profile. (pic is a promo pic - not mine). Maidened it 3 weeks ago. Very mental on full throws.

Im currently looking at this kit as a contender
Farmhand 90 for 30-65cc Petrol by Steve Holland.

Its a bit different so could be fun

Sounds like your enjoying your gasser experience Steve

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 05/06/2011 15:13:45

Hi Steve. Your post got deleted. But I got the e-mail notification,which was handy. Probably because the embeding didn't work. Mods are hot on that sort of thing. Here is a working link to the video that you found though;

Farmhand 90 by Steve Holland.

Your Post;
" It seems it can be built without a plan! Great idea - but I''d like to know if that applies to the wings too. A mate of mine fancies gliding - it would be a reasonable tug I would think on a 55cc engine.
I''d like to know how you get on with it.
I have indeed had a good time with the Edge - notwithstanding the issues. I am pressing on with it and I can whole-heartedly recommend going bigger. It''s one of the easiest aerobats I have flown. I have a Kyosho cap232 40-size with a 55 ax in it and to be frank this Cap is tricky to master in comparison.
Steve. "

Your right it probably would make a good tower. Looks fairly aero capable don't it. Looking more and more likely methinks.  Heres the Youtube video embeded.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 06/06/2011 07:19:43

Well I couldn't resist any longer. Laser cut wood pack ordered today, along with accompanying DVD. I'll await it's arrival before even looking at a suitable engine. But, it will be the 65cc version !

With the extra wood & materials (inc engine & servos) it should come in at around the £600-700 mark. I'll take my time on this to spread the cost I think.

BB

• 8 years later...