Seagull Turbo Raven

Hi Bill, Small world...

I am in process of doing all the final checking and testing prior to the maiden flight this coming Saturday / Sunday (weather permitting - it is supposed to rain). I am not expecting any real issues and I am shooting for a CG in the 115 - 125mm from LE range.

I ordered the longer carbon fiber legs (170mm height) and found out China is doing their 2 week New Years Holiday. So, that will not be here anytime soon (two to three weeks --- ARG!).

The Maiden Battery will be a 6S 3400mah 75C unit and I have modified the battery platform to allow the pack to be more rearward if needed. The 1/2 throttle test gave me a 12 minute run time (full cycle). The 3/4 throttle test gave me a 9 minute full cycle run time.

Power system: 5065-400KV (.60) outrunner, 80A Opto esc, remote uBEC, 3 blade 14x7 Windsor prop and a 3.25" aluminum spinner sanded, primed and painted to match.

For the maiden flight I be using larger wheels/ tires without the wheel pants to gain a little nose height / prop clearance.

Stay tuned for the Maiden report...

<Arnold>

Advert

Hi Arnold, I was hoping you would see that I came back to this thread....nice to see some more action here.

With regard to the question from Dennis, about how we get the weight of this model to 8.5 lbs ...could be a couple of things; the original weight listed was "fudged", and some of these 6S lipos weigh a pound or more themselves, and lastly, I'm guilty of this, some of us "build heavy"..! I have torn off too many landing gear blocks that it's usually the first thing I look at with a new model, and most require some additional beef to survive my grass field landings. It's so easy to do BEFORE you tear the gear loose..!

Bill

Mine is built pretty light so far. Only additions are the cockpit mods and a spinner that weighs less than the heavy plastic OEM spinner. With the "Monster Power .60" and a 6S 3400mah battery, I am still struggling to get the CG back far enough (I am currently at 110mm and want it back to about 120 - 125mm. It is starting to look like the battery will be almost directly ON or BEHIND the CG where the RX is / was supposed to be. I may even have to turn the elevator and rudder servos around so the horns are to the rear to make more room. I am trying hard to not add tail weight in the rear "battery area". On TR-1 (Turbo Raven - 1) I had to add a bunch of lead in the tail to get close to the "145mm" mark. I think I wound up around 120mm. and went with that. I do not like adding dead weight. Todays task will be to modify the "RX" area to facilitate the battery and a hold down system. Looks like RX relocation and reroute the wiring as well. My goal is to get to the 120 - 125mm CG without adding any weight in the tail

Interesting project. Seagull kind of missed the whole concept of the Turbo Raven. Wayne's TR was truly a 3D aircraft. Light and SUPER powerful. I do not believe this model was designed with electric flight in mind at all.

Otherwise they would have put 3 servos back near the tail with short linkages and moved the battery area to the center of the airframe. IMHO... . I may have to do just that before I am done. Ultimately I will probably replace the heavy wing tube with a carbon version as well. Just extra weight.

<Arnold>

OK,

After making a battery tray that connects the center servo plate and the rear servo plate, the 6S 3400mah battery is now securely strapped into the area just in front of the rudder and elevator servos. Now, if I need to add any weight to the rear compartment, it will be minimal.

The current weight with battery is now 7 lbs and 6 oz. With the heavy aluminum main gear legs being being replaced with much lighter Carbon fiber and the heavy aluminum wing tube also being replaced with carbon fiber, I just might get this bird down to 7 LBS or even slightly less. Moving and adding one servo under the tail would actually have added the weight of one additional servo. SO for the time being, I am going with the battery tray modification. I cannot understand how anyone can get this airframe to balance at the 145 - 135mm cg location without adding a ton of weight in the tail. Mine is built pretty much according to the manual and she came in massively nose heavy.

Now, if I can figure out how to post pictures in this thread I will do so...

<Arnold>

Hi Bill,

Maybe we have to ask the folks that I had to ask to join the site.... There is a "image button", but it is NOT simplistic. It looks like they do not want any pictures posted. Maybe they are limited on forum storage. I can always just sent you a couple shots via email.

After doing a lot more work, I finally got her back on the balancer and found she was STILL nose heavy at the 125mm CG location. I added a 3 oz. fishing weight wrapped in soft foam in the "rear battery hatch" and this brought the CG to exactly 125mm. The 3400MAH 6S battery is now as far back as it can go without moving the servos to the tail area. All up weight is now 7 lbs and 9 oz.

Earlier in this forum, someone stated the wing tube is a good plane to start the CG at. The center of the wing tube is almost exactly on the 125mm from LE location. Maybe Seagull meant 125mm rather than 145mm. The 145mm from L.E. (Leading Edge) at the root looks pretty far aft to me. I may go find the CG and Center of Pressure calculator (on line) and plug in the numbers. It calculated the CG based on wing shape and includes the tail feathers. The Center of Pressure (center of lift) does not include the tail feathers and is based only on the main wing.

The good news is that I can always change the weight in the tail and I do not see myself trying to get all the way to 145mm. I am tempted to start at 120mm from LE.

I ordered the carbon fiber mains and the carbon fiber wing tube... Someday I will get them (slow boat from China mode shipping).

Edited By Arnold Atkins on 29/01/2020 19:06:33

Posted by Arnold Atkins on 29/01/2020 19:03:12:

Hi Bill,

Maybe we have to ask the folks that I had to ask to join the site.... There is a "image button", but it is NOT simplistic. It looks like they do not want any pictures posted. Maybe they are limited on forum storage. I can always just sent you a couple shots via email.

Arnold

Sign in, and click on Albums on the top line. Create and name a new album

You have to put your photos into this Albumn

By adding photos, then SAVE

Photos are added to your comments/posts from this album

There is no real limit to the number correctly downloaded

Arnold,

When I ordered my "tall CF gear" from China, I waited about 45 days and then submitted a complaint with the Paypal people (since I had used them for payment) Paypal went to bat, lodged my complaint, and "bingo", about a week or ten days later the gear showed up. I could not tell whether I got the original shipment or a second shipment; but I was impressed that PP got results for me.

I'd be interested in getting a link from you for the CF wing tube.

Also I'll try opening an "Album" here and drop some pics into it, and see what happens. Sounds like once you have pics in the Album you can source them when you need to include one or more in a post.

Bill

Nice... Are these the 170mm tall extra 260 26cc / 30cc legs? Once you put the tailwheel on the angle is less steep.

Sorry guys about the multiple posts. I didn't think it registered pushing the "post reply" so I hit it again...still no response so one more time.. I should learn patients... .

Been working in yard ALL day so not much happening (except pushing a button too many times)... We got to 72 degrees F today... WONDERFUL.

Got to love California.heart

My Turbo Raven  is now balanced exactly on the center of the wing tube... and as I measure, it is 125mm from the leading edge.

Mine is still under 8 lbs. (barely). I am hoping the light main gear will take off a few ounces. Those stock legs are heavy (but strong).

Later today I will take pictures of what I did to move the CG AFT without adding a ton of weight...

<A>

Edited By Arnold Atkins on 31/01/2020 01:07:04