Obstacles

Phil 9

with my attention firmly fixed on the model I have damaged two models recently buy hitting obstacles. The first was a tree at a new flying site and the second was a temporary fence put up at my local field (put up for a compertition).

so normally at my regular field you know already where to (and where not to) fly. Do people have any tips on how to see a models flight path while still keeping an eye on the model?

Advert

Sometimes (for safety reasons) at our club we have to approach, land and stop the model directly in front of the pilot. i.e. passing by landings are not permitted.

This is so we do not hit any member of the public who inadvertantly wanders across the strip whilst we do not have a safety marshall looking out for us.

Perhaps landing like this might help?
Of course, this is depedant upon on space available at your club.

Its down to the "batsman trick" I'm afraid. When taking the strike at cricket the batsman has a good look around at where the fielders are. Its the same for flying.

Before flying have a good look round try to spot any likely obsticles, then (and this is the clever bit!) try to spot a landmark or feature just up and down wind of them. If when flying you see one of your landmarks coming into view - then you know you might be heading for trouble

Other than that - faster reactions!

BEB

Tunnel vision syndrome!!! Affects us all...especially when new & learning. You're concentrating so hard on the model that you ignore everything else around you until suddenly a tree appears from nowhere & snatches your model out of the air...."Honestly...it wasn't there when I took off..."

Reminds me of Jasper Carrot & his insurance claims....."I drove into the wrong house & collided with a tree I haven't got...."

Personally I always try & put the model on a predictable path & then take a good look around me a few times during the flight.....& especially just before a landing circuit.....