R/C Flight simulator for Vista HELP

Jon

Think I may have posted this in the wrong section of this forum as I got no replies so here it is once more

##########

Hi

I have only just started flying but have already clocked up 72 crash landings and a total of 184 hours of repair time!  but am finding it harder and harder now to crash as I have either improved a little bit or am now enjoying a spate of good luck!!.

I have been self training on private farm land (with the owners concent) on a 3ch Wing Dragon and am about to take delivery of a 4ch version. eh... also I have jioned the RCM&E and am trying to join a local club near Chichester on the south coast. but its a bit far as I live on Hayling Is, Hants.

In the RC Aircraft kit was a ART-Tech R/C Flight Simulator CD which will not work on my new Vista Laptop or on my old XP Laptop ( old one has problems anyway) 

Could any of you good chaps please advise me on a suitable flight simulator that would work with it on my vista laptop.  It would be nice to use both the supplied transmitter controls and the audio connecting cable that came with the kits, to make it more realistic. I don’t have a joystick only the flight controller that came from Art-Tech.

Or should I buy a new transmitter controller and simulater, say phoenix, or  what do you think is best for me .

I have a fast laptop with vista & USB skts etc etc but the ART-Tech has no USB skt and dont work on vista....Which do you think would be the best for me. A cheap Sim and contoller or for the longer term should I set my self up with a more improved combination which may be cheaper in the long run.  

Sorry, if this is covered elswhere in the forum but being a newbie I just hav'nt been able to locate it 

Kind regards John.... 

Hi Thanks for getting back to me Shaun...

The connection is via a audio input to the mic input of the PC and then you have to set up the audio side of the PC and addjust the supplied s/w to respond correctly.

but its a no go-wer...

This type of audio jack "interface" is pretty crude, and for you to enjoy a proper sim experience, I would suggest you get a decent flight Sim program. There are several threads here on just this subject " which flightSIM to buy". Most of the better ones use simple P N play USB dongle jobbies.

As for VISTA, well.....I really couldnt say about its compatibility with flight SIMs, I mean jeez....it doesnt even work with most "normal" hardware / software. I am staying WELL AWAY from Vista, and will only change when eventually MS decide to stop supporting XP ( which they are already discussing doing incidentally !! )

It is just sexed up marketing by MS to get you to buy the latest "must have". Why am I so sceptical about Vista and MS.... because my stepson actually works for MS, and I listen to his advice !!!!!!!

sorry...rant over

John..Im a MSP (Mircosoft Certified Professional...thats debatable!) and I agree with Timbo...although a piece of software designed to run on XP SHOULD run on Vista with a bit of tweaking, I have managed to get 95% of XP stuff working. But in this case, as Timbo suggests, invest in a new one with USB connection....and come down to CADMAC! Unfortunately we will all have to go Vista soon as we wont have much choice...even downgrading to XP wont be easy as drivers etc may not work if designed for Vista. Mind you...everybody hated XP...but MS sorted it out in the end.....!

ah ...so now we know who to blame for this Vista thing eh!..

I agree, we may as well get used to Vista as its here to stay just as XP and all the other attemps by MS to get it right have been.

anyway thats not the reason for my posting... So If you were me which TX controller and Sim would you buy... Is a Phoenix a bit too upmarket for the likes of me or is that the way to go? if so since money dont grow on trees and her indoors holds at least one of the strings..which Sim and controllere would you reccormend

I personally like the aerofly pro deluxe - although a little pricey if you have to buy the actual program if you know what I mean .....nod nod wink wink

I think RCME are giving away the RC planemaster if you take up subscription....and that is pretty fair

(NOT in the same league though as AFPDeluxe IMO )

Use the private email button in my header if you want to enquire about the AFPD

ok thanks for that... we are off in the motorhome up to northyorkshire so hope to get a bit of fly time in then but not sure if we'll be back by the 8th...you know how its is with us retired early types he he

I have been in direct email contact with Timbo and he has proved to be a real help. hope to be up and running with a sim soon. tell you about it when I see you

John

I started with computers before you could buy a PC, by building my own  bit by bit and having to rebuild it over and over again, I can also remember all the changes since the first PC's came on the market right up to having to buy a new machine just as you have  Eric... its been the same story all the way along.

I think thats what they call progress, dont it just hurt....I wonder how many times the Wright brothers had to rebuild before it flew ok and howmany designs have come and gone since!

There is a PC wise guy who lives near me who is making good money re-converting Vista based machines back to XP for many vista suckers just like you & me. But he runs vista on his own laptop...!!! wonder why

Chin up mate it will get better just like XP did...but then it'll all change whem MS need some more cash.

Regards from one more long suffering progress follower ...Jon 

Eric I have a nice little program here which runs within windows, and takes a back up mirro image of all your hardwares drivers, which can then be copied onto a disc and kept for use on the machine after you have formatted / reloaded whatever. Any use to you ? Heres the link to the free downoad.

http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/read/index.php?page=docs__toolkit__download

Hi Shaun...

Seems I'm missing a driver, D3DRM.DLL.. windows looked for it but cant find a copy for vista...wonder if a copy from an old XP version would work.?

Any way I have joined the RCM&E and ordered a JR 9XLL plus battery, charger and some RX bit's from Probuild.com for just £175. Also a copy of Phoenix for vista... have a done right?

I shall be at the next club meeting which I think is at Fishbourne Nr Chichester but at the moment am parked up in my motorhome near Northalerton North Yorkshire but cant fly as the weathers not dead still for me!

Thanks for the tips... keep them comming as I'm here to stay & learn, have flown slope RC guilders about 12 years ago but only ever leant how far it was to the bottom of the hill to collect the bits! 

Hi Chaps

I'm a happy bunny now as the postman arrived today with my JR PCM9Xll and a copy of the Phoenix Simulater.

I loaded the sim onto my HP vista laptop and also the DirectX which were both on the disc..and bingo it all worked. Pluged in the 9xll and once I found out how to change the TX over to PPM I was able to set it all up and complete the calibration .

Been flying all afternoon!... very impressed ...

Only problem I have is the TX handbook has been sent using snail mail due to its weight.

The phoenix Help is very help full..but I must say that without all of you chaps and the help you have been (not just on this thread I might add) I would still be waiting for a no wind day!

Thank you..Jon