Boom strikes - Raptor 30s

Ian Whittaker

Hi to all.

Now i'm starting to throw my Raptor round a bit, i keep suffering boom strikes, and it's proving rather expensive!
They seem to occur most when flipping back upright from inverted, and needless to say the flight ends there and then.
I've fitted hard rubbers, carbon blades, and try and keep the head speed high to avoid problems.
Would a engine governor help, or am i really just pushing the helicopter past what could be expected of it? I'm thinking that before i invest in yet another crash kit, skid set etc, i may be better off looking at other options.
If this is the case, dare i ask what would be suggested as a suitable replacement?

All. the best,

Ian

Advert

To continue with Al's theme, is the head worn at all..?? Not just blade holders, but all the arm ball ends..!!
Any slop in these could cause variations in each blade line.. If you've increased the head speed for 3D, a small amount of inaccuracy would be more noticeable and put a lot more pressure on all the control rods

I'm sure you've checked it all, especially as you've replaced the head n tail more than once by the sound of it..

There are plenty of Raptors doing funky stuff on Tube, in all states of 'Bling', so she should be good for it...

Not heavy is she.. ??

HTH's

Luv
Chrisie... xx

• 10 months later...

I have found that using the ElyQ 50 was a step in the right direction. Don't let the price fool you, if you build it well it will reward you with a very agile performance, the only part I have had any problems at all with are the rubbish clutches.

Solution, fit a trex 600 clutch straight away.

Ian

Get a more suitable 3D machine as Tom mentions a TRex 600 would be ideal which has tons of parts all over, and is a more capable machine than the rappie, then keep the Rappie as a spare sports flyer.

My 600 needs a engine bearing change, any maintenance takes me ages to get around too, and while it's waiting my good old Rappie 50 has come back out and was a joy to fly again for sport type flying that is, not stick banging !cheeky

If you are starting to throw it around, have you wound up the head speed? If you a bogging the head during your flips, you will increase the risk of a boom strike, especially if the blades are not tight in the grips. Checking the dampers are not worn is important.

Cheers,
Simon