A Question of Timing

I've just finished the Flyingwings Raven, but I'm having some troubles with the drive train that came bundled with it. Holding the aircraft stationary at full throttle with the (bundled) propellor attached causes the motor to suddenly stop after about 30-40 seconds or so. After lowering the throttle to minimum and attempting to restart the motor, it simply spits and sputters into life, and becomes almost too hot to touch over this period (the ESC also becomes quite hot, though not nearly as much). Since this issue never occurs with the propellor off and the motor appears healthy other than for this issue, it seemed reasonable to conclude that the ESC was at fault. Given that the motor is designed to operate at a high RPM, I believe (but I'm not sure) that the ESC timing needs to be changed from medium to high. Would I be right in doing this, and what exactly is timing anyway?

Advert

It sounds like a timing or PWM issue.
You dont say whether the motor is inrunner or out.
Inrunner generally work best at low /soft timing, and high frequency setting on the PWM, whereas outrunners with their higher magnet count work better on high /hard timing and low frequency PWM.
Experimet with altering these settings ( you wont break anything on test running ) and see which works best.
Start up options ( if available ) may also affect things.

Ah, I wondered if depriving the electronics of moving airflow might be part of the issue. I've spent the last two or three years having only an Easyglider to fly with (fortunately I have an RC flight sim), and only just got back into the hobby in the last week. It's an outrunner by the way.
Oh, and you're going to have to fill me in here - what's PWM?
My thanks for your help here.

If its an outrunner, then try higher timing, and low frequency PWM.
PWM = Pulse Width Modulation, which in simplistic terms affects the length of pulse of power that is sent to each stator coil, longer pulse = more power applied to push /pull the rotor around.