Formosa BRC hobbies setup?

Kit White

I have a question: I already have a 2408 21T Towerpro brushless bell motor, a 1000mah 3s lipo, a 20amp esc, a slowfly propellor 8040 GWS prop and a few 9g servos. Can I use this existing RC of mine in a GWS Formosa NPS kit, like this:

Thanks.

Edited By Kit White on 06/07/2011 22:44:34

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 06/07/2011 23:04:26

Advert

• 2 months later...
Kit. That's almost the setup I have in a Formosa. They go much better with a brushless motor, don't bother with the 'powered' version. My first Formosa (R.I.P.) had that motor but on 2S. My present one has a 2212/10 motor from BRC with a Wasp 20 Amp esc and a 35C Dualsky 1300 2S. On an 8 x 6 prop the motor draws about 16 Amps at full throttle which is its limit but in the air I use only 1/2 - 2/3 throttle and full for short periods, got away with it so far... I used cheapie 9g servos except for the ailerons which have a Ripmax SD200 mini servo (it just fits). Your 2408-21T should be ok on 3S but check the current draw with an 8040 on 3S though. I've got that motor in a GWS 109 on 2S/35C with an 8 x 4 prop, flies well. My Formosa's fast and gives about 8 minutes flying time, I want to try a 9 x 4 to slow it down a bit, checking the current first. I like the Formosa so much I'm thinking about buying a third one, SG of course.

Hi Kit,

You might find my build thread for the Formosa helpful, and details of my power train are there. However, note that with my set-up the stick mount uses the bottom hole in the firewall, whereas if you use the 2408 you would normally use the special little aluminium clamp mount and then the stick goes into the top hole in the firewall.

The thread is here

If and when I get round to Formosa 3, I would use top and bottom holes and short sticks with with a ply plate on the front to mount the motor. That way it would be easy to include some downthrust. My Formosa has a ply box mount instead of either stick for the motor. My Formosa 1, a conversion, used a 2408-21T bolted to the grey plastic motor mount which had a small woodscrew into the top stick. Not the best way and I'm sure the aluminium clamp mounts are better. Weight may be needed because a 2408 is lighter than the original motor & gearbox.