DX8 is on the way

Tim Mackey

I have just ordered the DX8 ( great price from Inwoods BTW ).
I have gone for just the bare Tx and NiMh package, as I have plenty of DSM2 receivers, and am not bothered at all about DSMX capability.
I note that it is not backward compatible with the AR6000 - which is a shame as I have 3 models with these receivers, and they have been superb.

I know there is a download facility for 4 servo wing mixes and the like, but could any existing owners post any other important things that I, as a hardened DX7 user for the last few years will need to know? Cheers.

Advert

Tim, did you not fancy the telemetry option, there's some good stuff coming out soon, airspeed (great for a stall warning), altitude, fuel tank level, the list goes on.

I really fancy the 8 although I've been a little concerned with the current press and recalls.

Fuel tank level - Ha! TBH Ive been a little underwhelmed at all this telemetry stuff whenever I have tried it.
First off, I dont like trying to read data on a Tx screen in the sunlight, whilst my eyes should be on the model! I fly all electric these days, and much prefer to rely on a timer to tell me the state of my electron supply - but one of the features of the DX8 I do like, is the vibrating timer alert - and perhaps, this coupled with onboard telemetry would be a useful addition.
I have spoke with Dave at Inwoods this morning, and he is OOS on the DX8 right now, with fresh supplies arriving from HH mid week - complete with all the latest updates ready done.
This was important for me, as I shall only be using the unit in DSM2 mode.... for now.
Tx, NiMhs, Neckstrap, and SD card = £179.99. Good price I think.

DX8 is on the way

Q. What do I need to know? A. Go Futaba !

Sorry just my Friday afternoon humour !

That does look like a great price, chap down our club has one, had to send it back after smashing a model, that suddenly did two loops, turn out that is was an loose connection on the RF board, even though he did a full range check, and also had to have his gimbles replaced........sure yours will be ok......

Keep checking the servo screen for wandering centres on the gimbals. Send back to HH if you see a problem. Even some of the newer units at my field have already been sent back.

Has this one been upgraded to solve the compatibility issues with some of the older DSM2 receivers ??

I thought you'd weaken eventually, Timbo........

Throttle timer is a very useful feature - you can set the minimum throttle % at which it starts timing, so it's more accurate than a straight countdown.

You'll probably find that it arrives with the v2.01 software installed, which is the DSMX upgrade. If you do not want it, the v1.04 update is still available if you register with the Community. If you revert to 1.04, you'll lose other updates, though - including the variable throttle start position referred to above.........

Bear in mind, yours will have the DSMX /DSM2 issue fixed, so you should have no trouble with the DSMX version. Mine's going in next week when I'm back in the UK.

Future upgrades - and one is expected fairly soon - will be DSMX anyway.

Pete

Posted by simon burch on 08/07/2011 15:45:29:
Keep checking the servo screen for wandering centres on the gimbals. Send back to HH if you see a problem. Even some of the newer units at my field have already been sent back.

Has this one been upgraded to solve the compatibility issues with some of the older DSM2 receivers ??

As I say, they are all OOS at the moment, with fresh supplies arriving approx mid-week, so therefore I think its fair to assume that the new arrivals will be completely up to date with any firmware updates recently done.