Photosynth flying site guides

Hi

A friend of mine gave me the heads up to this useful gizmo by microsoft, its a free bit of software that allows you to take a large number of pictures and stitch them together producing a virtual view. Here is the link to one I did this afternoon of one of my local flying sites.

I thought it would be good to build up a data base of these, it would give a good idea of what to expect at a site for visitors - feel free to shoot me down if you think its a daft idea!

Advert

I like it...

My thought is weather it is possible to turn such a panoramic into the type of thing needed to make flying sites in Pheonix sim creator. It would be great to be able to fly at your own site on the sim.

You can Birdy. If you look on the Pheonix website there are instructions on exactly how to photograph your site and then send it in to them. My guess is though that if in reality its just "another flying field" they wouldn't be too excited about it, but if it was something a bit "different" then they would jump at it!

I love these - and I don't even do sloping!

BEB

Pheonix needs far more detail for its sim, And you can download the edit program to make the site yourself , I am thinking a video camera on a tripod , going round the different picture requirements then pulling individual pictures off the video using the pc instead , should mean you can get it all done quicker and it will sew together much better.
The problem with the photosynth is the fish eye effect , You can't have that on the sims as it would make ya throw up lol

Lee

The fish eye effect depends on the lens setting, if you set your zoom at about 55mm this is roughly the same as your eye (I think!) I will try one later, the biggest problem with this type of photography is to be totally realistic you must pivot the camera around the centre of the focal path of the lens. You do not get this with a std tripod head. You can buy a panoramic head adapter but they cost loads.