consolidating topics

Tim Mackey

As the forum grows (which it obviously is doing) several topics are getting a bit fragmented, due to people perhaps starting a subject as a new thread, without realising that the topic - and indeed sometimes the actual answer to their particular post, already exists elsewhere on the forum. A particular example is the 2.4G radio stuff....several different threads in different places. Surely it is time now to tidy up the categories a bit. The "hot topic" thing does not really cover it. When a subject such as this ( which by its very nature is going to create a LOT of interest ) gets a lot of hits, it should have a dedicated section, and the moderators could move all existing scatterings on the whole 2.4Ghz debate into it, and ensure that future postings are redirected accordingly. I am ( apparantly :) ) a bit biased on this particular topic....but there are others I am sure .

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for not picking up on this the first time around, guys. The problem with merging existing topics is that the flow of both threads is disrupted somewhat with posts that weren't originally there, if you see what I mean. I think the solution is to pick up on duplicate threads where possible and point the relevant poster in the direction of the original thread. This is one of my jobs of course, and I'm aware that I've let some slip through – I'm sure you can appreciate that I've had a fair bit on my plate with the launch of the site. I'll endeavour to keep an eye out, but if you guys can assist by linking to existing threads where possible, I can come in and tidy up any duplicate threads as and when.

The sort of thing I had in mind was a general topic folder with appropriate heading...
for instance ( a hobby horse of mine I am afraid :-( ) - 2.4GHz
Why can you not set up a section called "2.4Ghz" every sub topic which is about 2.4Ghz then gets directed into that section. At the moment there are lodas of different "threads" within different sections...but they all relate to the main issue of 2.4G.
Sorry...just realised, I pretty much said all this b4 :-(

No matter Timbo - in essence is it not possible to take the main heading that you already have Tom and add subcatagories to them - for instance under the "Begginers" section you could have sub folders for things like questions on trainers - engines - props etc - you know the sort of thing us newbees are always asking. It will give us an oportunity to be more specific about our question and will save us having to trawl through all the posts to find someone has changed the subject part way through and diverted to other topics. Whats already there will just get linked as you have said but it might help us with future topics. Anyway thats my pennys worth.
Antony