DX8 owners thread...

Tim Mackey

OK, so been busy binding my models, and generally finding my way around this set, after 4 years+ with my trusty DX7 and DX6i. So far I like the feel and general functionality of it, but have some queries ( and minor niggles ) and though it might be best to start a thread to exchange info with other DX8 owners.
So to kick off, heres a couple of things.
The manual is up to usual standards EG: Poor.... I hate the way they have now mixed the aero with the heli settings rahther than on the DX7 where he manual was in relevant sections .
1) If you enter the system settings mode by holding "clear" and "back" buttons whilst powering up, you get a screen called "Raw Input Test". Moving the trims and switches produces a number to appear against their designated spot on the screen, with different numbers for different directions and so on....but just what is the screen for ??
2) In the "Monitor" screen, my throttle only shows 95% at full WOT, or -97% at throttle shut -unless I push the stick hard against the end stops, when it then momentarily reaches 100%.
I found a calibrate screen at the end of the settings menus, and moved eack stick ( and the rotary knob for aux3 ) to their extremes, then centred etc, and got 4 x "OK" indicators, but it hasnt changed the throttle throw ?

Ill have loads more Im sure as I get deeper into things, but lets keep each query relatively short, before moving on

Yep, it's growed like Topsy - but with nearly 700 pages it's a bit unwieldy now. There's a lot of useful information there but unfortunately about 650 pages-worth are Spekky-sniping, ego-promoting posts which rather detract from the value

However, if you have a question, AK will respond pretty quickly or point out where it has been dealt with.

I know Chris Bott has had a problem resolved, as I did, with a DSMX/DSM2 French setting issue.

Pete

One last thing I'm not convinced I have my head around.

The software includes so called reverse mixing. This gives more flexibility but can cause confusion.

Say you have a two aileron wing on a model.
If you mix something like rudder to aileron or elevator to aileron you can mix say elevator to left aileron and both ailerons will operate. Or you can mix elevator to right aileron and both will operate. However in one case the ailerons will both go the same way, in the other case they will go opposite ways..... I think! Very useful, quite confusing.

Posted by Chris Bott on 19/08/2011 21:12:55:
Tim the calibration works at a system level so affects all models. It has to be done on a fresh (or reset) model memory. The knob also has to be turned from end to end and set back in the middle. Try all that and see if it's any better?

Yup, done that and its still the same.
More worrying, I used it for the first time today after binding half a dozen gliders to it last night. First flight of first model, and it needed some down trim due to high windspeed up the slope - clicked the elevator trim tab, and the opposite effect was applied - the model climbed even more!! " others stood at the side of me and watched as I applied trim ( both up and down ) and it was working in the opposite direction
Other models were also flown and the trims seemed to work correctly - this has me baffled

Tonight's teaser ( after the trim direction mystery ) - in the free mixes, why is there a second setting for the rate applied to the slave channel. I am used to seeing just the facility to select master and slave, and then apply the rate of mix required between them ( and also offset ). However the DX8 seems to have second mix rate that can be applied?

Repeat mantra moan about the rubbish manual.

On calibration, I sem to remember something about using a very feather light touch when going near the stick limits, and to do each axis separately. Personally I'm not too bothered what the numbers are, as long as they stay consistent.

On the trim direction, I seem to remember that cropping up recently, I'll go back and have a look. Was it a different model type to all the others or something?

If it's an issue that Andy is working on he will be very interested in your results...
I had an issue with flaps operating elevator in an unwanted way, but only if i had a lot of elevator trim in. They cured that after I brought it up..

Ah I see, so one could have the slave channel working in one direction at one side of the master stick travel, and the opposite direction for the other side of stick travel.
Bit like your post earlier....clever, but as yet I cant see a use for that
Postscript: just thought of one perhaps......throttle to flapperons ( glider )
Throttle master, flaps slave. Throttle high ( above midway point ) and flapperons go up as spoliers, and throttle low ( below midway ) and flapperons go down as errr, flapperons.
All proportinal of course to throttle stick position.
I currently have some of my gliders set like this on the DX7, and its still pretty easy to set, as during the mix setting, you can move the master ( throttle ) stick to above or below midway, and apply either -ve flap, or +ve flap as required.

Posted by Chris Bott on 19/08/2011 22:35:24:
On calibration, I sem to remember something about using a very feather light touch when going near the stick limits, and to do each axis separately. Personally I'm not too bothered what the numbers are, as long as they stay consistent.

On the trim direction, I seem to remember that cropping up recently, I'll go back and have a look. Was it a different model type to all the others or something?

If it's an issue that Andy is working on he will be very interested in your results...
I had an issue with flaps operating elevator in an unwanted way, but only if i had a lot of elevator trim in. They cured that after I brought it up..

It was a simple two servo elevon glider model, with the same settings as the second model flown...also 2 servo elevon. In fact the basic settings were done by copying the first to the next free modelslot, and renaming. I then simply tweaked sub trims etc to suit. Its all very odd, and I may try a posting in that giant RCG thread and see what happens.
Be interested to see if you can find reference to the issue elsewhere.

Wow yes - thats it almost exactly Chris!
Except mine was on elevator only - aileron was correct, and it only happened on the one model.
If I hadnt been on the slope, in big empty sky and at good height, it could have been catastrophic. Have to say this is pretty worrying for a brand new "improved" radio.

I'm getting close to the discussion on your problem. I found a post, page 653 post 9789 that says "Just be sure to check your elevator trim for proper movement, and most importantly, proper direction. If you have an issue, report it to Andy."

Now looking to see what has been said before that. It seems to be an issue new in 2.03 and would probably be cured by going back to 2.01

Edited By Chris Bott on 19/08/2011 22:54:22

I have done the "mod" and setting flap to inhibit cures it.
Very naughty mind, and they have known about this for weeks, yet the homepage of community site has NO MENTION of it even today !
I also cant see why the default setting is for the flaps to be active, when setting wing to elevon mix - pretty unlikely to find flaps on an elevon model.

PS: I also think its worth highlighting that us DSM2 users ( I have 28 x DSM2 equipped models and no intention of using DSMX at the moment ) need to be particularly careful when in the frame rate screen. Default is DSMX, and simply pushing the roller changes it, without the need to scroll as in most other ops.
Same applies to frame rate, I found it all too easy to accidentally set to 11ms, and leave the menu without realising.
Some of my models require larger trim steps, and some need smaller, and I discovered that the trim step rate is settable for each individual model, the default being 5 all round. So thats a good thing

That's good that it's fixed Tim, but I agree they should let us know.
If you've registered the radio with them they could even email us all.

My guess is that they don't want to tell us anything negative for publicity reasons.

I'm pretty sure the radio will sort its self out to DSM2 on binding, or if you accidentally set it wrong afterwards then it just wouldn't talk to the Rx at all.

As for frame rate, yes you could inadvertently change that. I large warning does come up though.. and this is all in the System Setup menu which you don't go into every day.

I've learned how to set up Throttle Cut for electric models properly today
Sorry I have no time to post details but will do so tomorrow..