Upgrade from my DX6i

Phil 9

well after 3 years of use I am now starting to out grow my DX6i running out of channels and mixes but where do I go next.

the obvious choice being the DX8.

I can see myself flying both scale and aerobatic type aircraft in the future.

My new model is a global rc 3d70 and the dx6i will fly this just but with options for seperate servos on elevators and maybe smoke on bigger models and scale models with multi servos flaps grar light ect I can see my next upgrade will need a new tx also.

any suggestions?

Advert

DX8 would be the obvious choice, but there seems to have been some issues after the DSMX upgrade and some DSM2 Rx's, so if you get one I'd test it on a couple of hack models first.

If you don't think you'd need DSMX you could always look at the JR 9DSX etc which would work with all your existing Rx's but here in the UK the JR sets can't be upgraded to DSMX.

I have just gone through the same process, DX6i user for a couple of years - no problem with it but the dollar rate is so good at the mo I thought time to to future proof!
Agonised over spending that much on something that doesn't actually fly?
Obvious choice was DX8 but the more I looked the more glitches, recalls and strange happenings are apperent on every forum! Anyway other options - JR too expensive, Futaba seem to keep changing their mind about operating system & confusing (FASST, FHSS &GDNOWS). Oh DX8 no glider setup.
Then looked at Hitec - nothing bad on any forum I could find, High spec more than I need, good price. So what if I have to buy a few new rcvrs off to the States in a month so that will fix that.
Hopefully I have made a good (right) choice time will tell.
TH were the cheapest so have pushed the button. Hopefully it will arrive before I go Statesideor my wife will findout!!!!

Oh sorry, remembered after posting. Hitec Aurora 9. Used an email coupon from TH and added a Hitec HPP-22 programmer to give $100 discount - Sweet I hope!
Don't know of anyone who has one in our club but out there on sat. everyone said they had heard only good reports.

I only have the one rx that came with the DX6i plus some cheep orange ones. I did have one other spectrum rx but that was lost along with a model.

I am in no hurry though as my DX6i will fly my current model (although I did need to compromise on the set up) future models will require a tx upgrade

Edited By Phil B on 22/08/2011 11:38:39

if i had the choice i would go for the Aurora 9 simply based on a few things
1 the problems the DX8 is having
2. the Aurora has a dedicated glider mode
3 the extra channel
4 the looks and feel
5 moto function for electric gliders

given the cost i think you get more bang for your book, but this opinion is only based on a quick play and fondle of either set

Thats the conclusion I reached Lee. I have five rx's (2 spekky 3 Orange) which I will keep and use with DX6 at least in the meantime. Aurora rx's aren't that expensive anyway - $45US for 6 channel upwards and voltage telemetry to boot, which I could have used the other day when went deadstick after only 8 mins cruising around. Turns out one cell on a new (4flights I think) Turnigy 3S dropped to 2.4 volts. recharged ok and has performed ok since - strange. Ideas anyone?
That actually raised another question, with ESC set for soft cut, it seems it makes it hard to tell that batt. voltage has reached cutoff when flying on low throttle - I guess telemetry & alarm set will help.
Sorry Mr Mackey as Norman Stanley Fletcher used to say.

No need to apologize to me mate..... I have absolutely no vested interest in the sets one way or another. We are all entitled to opinion, and if asked, I am happy to give one - but thats all it is, an opinion. One generally finds that, like car owners, the owner of model A will always find a reason to knock model B, even though in many cases they have absolutely no sound reason to, and have probably never owned one either.
My only "loyalty" to Spektrum is based purely on my experience of the gear over 5 years exclusive use, and ownership of 30 odd receivers

Oh, and as for telemetry, it holds little interest for me TBH - I NEVER fly to LVC, preferring instead to use a timer to ensure I always land before hitting the LVC level.
I build and fly models to enjoy them in the air, not spend half my flight looking at a screen so full of data that its hard to tell what is what.
A vibrating, and audible alarm as my time is up is the most useful gizmo I have had in a tx.

I agree Tim and normally I don't fly to LVC but telemetry would have helped when that 1 cell went down. I was probably going for 30secs or so before I realised it was deadstick as I was only cruising. I could not even get a blip of throttle after shutting off for a few secs as you can normally when cell voltage will increase with no load.
Also I guess that the other problem as in your case with 30? rcvrs is that we are locked into one system on 2.4. Great for the manufacturers! One up for the old crystals?

Phil have a think about the number of receivers you may want to buy into the future. Then have a good look at receiver prices. It might make a difference to overall costs.

PS I think my DX8 is absolutely superb.. But I do worry about the niggly issues. Once it's sorted, and it will be, it will be an excellent radio for me for many years.

Posted by Tim Aspinall on 22/08/2011 20:12:57:
I agree Tim and normally I don't fly to LVC but telemetry would have helped when that 1 cell went down. I was probably going for 30secs or so before I realised it was deadstick as I was only cruising. I could not even get a blip of throttle after shutting off for a few secs as you can normally when cell voltage will increase with no load.
Also I guess that the other problem as in your case with 30? rcvrs is that we are locked into one system on 2.4. Great for the manufacturers! One up for the old crystals?

Well actually, many fliers ( me included ) had already moved over to PCM modulation when we flew 35Mhz - and PCM receivers were also locked into the Tx brand. In fact , one could argue that this was even more prohibitive than the 2.4Gear, as there were no such things as inexpensive clones of those. We spent half a weeks wages on a 6 channel PCM rx!

Nothing wrong with the DX7, it still works for me and has plenty of mixes and 20 models; I can't afford that many Rxs!!

I have also just bought a new Futaba T6J, which although not FASST, its S-FHSS (so like all other 2.4ghz systems, less Spectrum/JR) it does have a decent spec, 15 model memory etc., In fact it has a better spec than thier FASST 6EX 2.4Ghz set (you can compare radio systems on Futabas website).

Worth a look for 2 reasons; its pretty inexpensive, but looks good quality and the 6 ch RXs are much cheaper than others (unless you use the orange/chinese copies).

Well I guess at the end of day it all comes down to what each of us is comfortable with. But (always a but) I did not want to be a test bed for a system which although it will probably be sorted and give good service eventually, it obviously has some issues which could involve some added expense on the flier, i.e. smashed aircraft.

As a side issue I have found that my Orange Rcvrs seem to perform as well as the AR6200's I have and have found no difference in range or performance and when first connected don't indicate a brown out if you are a little timid when plugging them in. I use seperate 4mm bullet type which may contribute to this and unless you get a solid connection 1st time the AR6200's little LED flashes like mad which means unplugging, switching off theTX and starting again. If you fly like that then you won't know if there was a problem during flight.

Anyway its a perfect day here - blue sky, 18 degrees no wind so I am off to you know where...........................................................................