Resurrecting 35mhz Sanwa - Advice Please

John Roberts 9

My first post so please be gentle!
I am trying to breathe life back into an old (but never used) Sanwa VG6DR six channel 35mhz set (about 8-ish years pld I think).
I have ordered some new batteries for the TX & RX and will soon be plugging everything together to establish that everything still works as it should.
Unfortunately I no longer have the manual supplied by Sanwa and I need some advice about which plug connectors go into which sockets please.
Specifically, the RX has seven connector slots. Am I correct in thing that slots numbered 1 to 6 are for the servos and that the seventh slot, marked B/7, takes the battery power lead via the on/off switch?
Apologies for asking such an embarassingly simple question but, as a complete novice, I don't want to risk frying the RX.
Thanks in advance, your advice will be very welcome & much appreciated.

Advert

Hi John, and welcome aboard. No need to worry about posting questions here mat, we are a friendly bunch on the whole, and remember , there are no stupid questions, but there could be stupid answers.
Avoiding the temptation to suggest throwing the old stuff away, and buying some modern 2.4Ghz gear, heres my 2p worth.

Yes, the end pins "socket" you mentioned will be for battery supply ( via switch as you summise ), but TBH it doesnt matter if you plug the battery into any of the "sockets" as they all share a common positive and negative rail.
You cant fry the receiver by plugging in the battery the wrong way around, all that will happen is that the rx just wont work, so if, on your first attempt, it seems to be "dead", try swopping the plug to "upside down" as it were.

Hi John,
Your radio should be ok with new batteries but a good check over
as you say is a good idea.
A range check is obviously wise too.
Here are a couple of links to 'Airtronics' manuals - the US name for
Sanwa.They should have all the info you need on connections.

The slot marked B/7 is the battery connection & channel 7 through
a Y-lead (probably not used with a 6 channel Tx though)
Hope these are useful.

Cross posted again!

Edited By Richard Wood on 24/08/2011 10:33:04

Tim, Richard, thanks for such prompt and helpful replies - problem now sorted!

I don't think it will be too long before I upgrade to more modern 2.4Ghz kit. My plan is basically to get flying as cheaply as possible to begin with using the radio gear & IC engine that I already have (all several years old but never used - long story!). Once I have a bit of experience under my belt and hopefully get all the beginners mistakes out of my system I will then make some longer term decisons about what model to build/fly, what radio gear to use, what engine to use etc etc.

In the short term it just seemed sensible to use what I already have and make the bigger spending decisions when I am slightly less "wet behind the ears".

Thank you again for the very speedy and helpful responses.

Edited By John Roberts 9 on 24/08/2011 11:00:27