ST Model ASW-17 EP ARTF

I bought one of these a few months ago and it flies beautifully. My record is 1 hour and 13 mins on an 850mah lipo. The biggest problem it has (and the sole cause of all the damage inflicted) is that it wont come down!

Any breeze on the slope and it just will not land without a fight! It was my first foray into gliders and I have been hooked on gliders since. Anybody looking into getting into gliders should really give this one some consideration.

Gary

Advert

A while back in this thread there was a mention of the ST DG1000 and it's potentially problematic motor raising mechanism.

What is supposed to happen is that when the motor is retracted that it pauses part way down and in the process a boot protrudes into the arc of the windmilling prop. This holds the prop aligned for the full retraction into the fuselage.

I have found that somehow what happens after only a few flights the rubber boot breaks away, taking with it enough of one of the support legs to severally weaken it. This makes further use of the motor a very risky business without replacement or repair. I have now done both and also a very simple modification that so far has worked really well and I'm genuinely expecting to have solved the problem completely. It may even be worth making the modification from new. (No doubt that would have warranty implications). All it is, is, a length of fuel tubing and two small wire ties.

propstop1.jpg

propstop2.jpg

In operation the motor works very well and coupled to a Turnigy 3s 1300 Lipo gives ample power. The glider flies well but retract the motor and use the retracted motor CG point for balancing taking care to ensure it is spot on. That way you should not get the surprise I got when I retracted it in flight for the first time and the rearward movement of the motor made it rather tail heavy!

Just a few comments in case anyone was still weighing up the ASW 17 Vs DG1000.

• 6 months later...

ASW-17

Great flyer, but... now with over 50 flights the wing fixing nylon clips are breaking up. 2 busted already and I have had to replace with emergency ally homemade versions.
Tried everywhere to get new ones, no luck, even manufacturers with no response to e-mails. Don't think they expect it have a long flying life.If anyone knows where they can be purchased, please leave a note

• 1 month later...

Sorry to 'bump' this. Re the ASW 17 brake function. To check do the following;

Position the throttle stick at bottom, switch on TX. Connect ESC to battery. If there is 1 beep, the brake is off, 2 beeps is on.

If brake off and wanting brake on, switch off TX and disconnect ESC battery. Position throttle stick at top of range, switch on TX. Connect ESC to battery. Wait 5 seconds and there should be 2 beeps. Move throttle stick to bottom position.

To confirm brake is on, disconnect everything and switch off TX, follow the bottom stick instructions.

• 1 year later...

It's a great buy. I have been flying mine for over 2 years now had a few heavy landings and replaced broken nose/cockpit with Lucozade bottle...flew amazingly well. Now have new fuselarge and it still flies well. Knocked up over 65 flights although the wings are now showing signs of crazing.

Think about the wheel housing though as when landing in grass the forward rake either side of the wheel will snag on the grass and bring the glider to an immediate stop which can dig a wing in hard.

I fly with a 1300 lipo and longest flight so far being 35 minutes with power off most of the time of course. My altimeter often gives me over 200mtre high. (Suggest you don't try this height at Mill Hill!) .