Ever seen two Rainbows collide?

Pete B

Terry came up for a day's flying today - despite the forecast 31C.......

He's been enjoying his new Phoenix Rainbow so I set mine up with a keyfob cam for a bit of air-to-air.........little realising it would become a mid-air!

Enjoy!

I hope you'll agree he made a great job of getting his down safely with that amount of damage - shades of WWII..........

Got a bit too warm for much more flying this afternoon so went for a swim instead..........

Pete

Advert

Morning all!

I know we couldn't do it again if we were being paid! It just goes to show that caution is better than the ' it'll never happen to us' method of filming!  Still amazed that we got them both down and with a new fin and rudder to build and cover plus a small re-build and re-fixing of the starboard stab for mine she'll be back to new.

Just gotta hope for rain this weekend so that I am excused garden chores by SWMBO (except of course for this pm as it is our preparation day for the Interclub a week tomorrow!)

Really appreciated the swim Pete. Sorry had to rush off to my committee meeting where we spent an hour on deciding on a dinner menu for the next outing and the next hour drinking wine and chatting! Normal french committee meeting!

Onwards and upwards!

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 03/09/2011 07:50:57

Well, as the video seems to show your Rainbow approaching from below - and the irrefutable physical evidence of your rudder bending my landing gear - I have to do something to make mine more visible........H & S, you know!

What's the phrase - "All clear above and behind?"

Fifteen - Love, I think!

Pete

Pete's Rainbow is already flying again (but with a safety concious yellow bottom!) . Mine is now ready to re-maiden because She has a new fin/rudder and a repaired stab!

First I had to draw the plan! Luckily I could draw a rough template from Pete's fin/rudder and then using the remains of mine work out what goes on inside.

Then a quick and straight forward build over the plan.

Nice work, Terry - looks as good as new!

I must say I enjoyed the whole thing - I don't often get the chance of a mid-air - and it beats just an ordinary crash..........

Here she is now, after 3 years of wearing big boots, sporting a slinky pair of spats. No, you can't see her yellow bottom - she's a lady, after all!

Pete

Beautiful afternoon here.

My repaired Rainbow maidened perfectly at my club near Cahors. Had 3 lipos worth of very nice pleasant flying in a sky empty of other Rainbows! Lovely - just lovely.

Also flew my EG and had a little touch of thermal (called 'le pompe' here) here and there all very nice.

Then had 2 flights with my VMAR RF4 Fournier. Still very respectful of it's ability to tip stall quite dramatically but not today - hooray! Really looks good in the sky. Thanks for the help with the set-up on that Pete B! Cross wind landings as well!

What a great day - 3 a/c out and 3 a/c back no damage just a lot of enjoyment and a bit more sunburnt!

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 06/09/2011 18:35:31