Aurora 9 and Optic 6 Biding. A tale of patience, frustration and perhaps... joy?

Joao Miguel

I am getting back to model building and flying! What a better way to teach my son patience, frustration and joy (not necessary at this order   ? We joined the SAA, visited the local club and arranged some flying lessons. We chosen 2 models, one for traditional building within the following year and an ARTF electric glider. RC was dead easy, Hitec Aurora 9, considering cost/performance. In our first lesson, some difficulties we had with the training. The instructor suggested I get another radio for binding and after reading and thinking, the chosen was Optic 6 (not the sport). It seemed obvious as it was from the same manufacturer, inexpensive yet powerful enough to grow. And I could use Hitec receivers across the fleet...
I ordered from Elite Models on the 13/Jul, hoping to take full advantage of our Scottish summer(??) and it arrived a few days later. The transmitter was working well and I installed the receiver into my plane. Now, buddy was complicated. I had to buy the buddy cable for the system (#58321 Full package).
I patiently followed instructions from Aurora manual (Optic manual was poor on that), browsed online discussions, checked the firmware versions, etc. Maybe it was my Aurora, purchased befor the change to J Perkins... Finally, I started to grow frustrated from what was going on and went to my instructor. It worked on his radio with my Aurora! Further, with simulators (ClearViewRC and RC PlaneMaster) Aurora would work but Optic 6 would not. Some calls to J Perkings and HITEC USA and I was sending my brand new radio back together with the training cable.
The delays
On the 02/Aug my radio went special delivery to Elite Models. I didn't ask for a refund (which was within my rights from their terms and conditions) since I wanted to have it solved ASAP and get back to fly; summer was getting thin. After a number of calls and non-materialised promisses, I wrote a letter on the 18/Aug expressing my frustration and demanding a solution. They promptly apologised and sent the transmitter to J Perkins (although I had the impression they were replacing with a new one and sending it back to me). More calls and yesterday I was told that they could have replaced since they had none in stock. Today the final stab....
Elite Model called explaining that J Perkins tested my Optic. They also tested brand new Auroras and Optics and the veredict is that the Optic 6 does not buddy to the Aurora!
Worse, this is not a problem of my particular radio but is shared with all the Optic they tried. Furter, the Optic can buddy to another Optic. Their veredict is that there is a firmware problem with the Aurora 9!!!
Pardon, I said? But the Aurora buddy to the Futaba, the JR, even the cheap 4CH Art-tech transmitter that came with the plane!!
I am writing this hoping someone can shed some light for me to decide what to do. I love my Aurora 9, spend money with it and cannot return it anymore. I was offered a full refund from Elite Models for the Optic but then.... what am I going to buy? If I go for a different brand I will have to deal with multiple receivers and to stay with Hitec I need absolute guarantee that biding will work.
Any help will be appreciated...
Still hoping for joy, altough not from Scottish weather
Regards
Carlos
Note: I am posting this into a number of forums that I subscribe and sending a copy to HITEC USA as well as Elite Models and J Perkins. I will post follow-ups and intend to be fair to all involved parts.

Edited By Joao Miguel on 03/09/2011 11:14:42

[url=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19219597&postcount=4]Answered Hitec RCD Support Forum[/url]
Sorry to hear you are having a problem, but all my tests and instructions below,
were done using an Aurora and an Optic 6 before the Aurora was released in USA or UK.
Have had no issues with either to date.

1. "It worked on his radio with my Aurora!
What type of radio and using the mentioned Hitec cable or another?

2. "Further, with simulators (ClearViewRC and RC PlaneMaster) Aurora would work but Optic 6 would not."
Optic 6 has no problem working with all known simulators (- refer Simulator section on my web page): which cable were you using as in this case you would use the "Master" DIN adapter, not the slave.

. Which model Optic 6? AFHSS or PPM (QPCM RX?).
Either way please enter the systems menu, hold down top left buttons whilst switching on and check Optic 6 is set to both PPM & N Shift for use on Simulator and as a Slave.
. Was the model tested and working AOK with the Aurora before the Optic 6 was connected and turned on?
. Did you have any communication at all between the Aurora and Optic 6, if so what worked and what did not.
. Did you try swapping over the two DIN adapters in case they were incorrectly labelled as master or slave?
. Use a multi meter and check the wiring? refer diagrams.
. Did you refer to:
Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up & Data Transfer A9<>A9.

Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, FAQ & Comparison Charts may also be of interest.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers & Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

and much more regarding cables and use of the Optic 6 under sub Section
"Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)

Alan T.

Edited By A.T. on 03/09/2011 20:45:29

Correction to Post #2...( was way to early in the morning here).

Please Delete
2. "Further, with simulators (ClearViewRC and RC PlaneMaster) Aurora would work but Optic 6 would not."Optic 6 has no problem working with all known simulators (- refer Simulator section on my web page): which cable were you using as in this case you would use the "Master" DIN adapter, not the slave.
Please Insert
2. "Further, with simulators (ClearViewRC and RC PlaneMaster) Aurora would work but Optic 6 would not."
Optic 6 has no problem working with all known simulators (- refer Simulator section on my web page).
. If no DIN plug connector supplied with the Simulator program e.g. Reflex, use the "Slave" DIN adapter, not the master, with the mono plug lead supplied."

Alan T.

Edited By A.T. on 03/09/2011 22:33:00

Edited By A.T. on 03/09/2011 22:39:00

Hi Alan and thanks for your input on both forums.
It worked with an EFLY-4B 2.4GHz RC System (from art-tech and my instructor's radio as well. The EFLY has a mono connector as the Aurora 9. I made my connection with the mono cable from the HITEC 58321 system.
I used the DIN with the Optic 6 but the mono cable for the Aurora. By the way, the EFLY works with the simulator as well. Yes, I used the slave for that.
The optic 6 is the AFHSS, with the Spectra module. That is why I could use with my receivers both Aurora and Optic.
I didn't do the buddy tests. It was J Perkins Distributions that did, so I assume they are aware of this settings. However, when I had the radio, I tried with different settings and I am sure I changed those without success. If you can buddy the Optic 6 with the Aurora (can you confirm that?) than the problem IS with my radio and the incompetent tests from J Perkins. I need a confirmation to further argue with them.
Regarding cables, I tried everything you mentioned (even praying and swering) I did not check the cables with a meter but I purchase them from J Perkins and I would assume they have done that. Again, a trial with an Aurora and Optic 6 with the cables would confirm this hypothesis.
I have been reading your posts before buying and that is why I purchased the 58321 cables to avoid any problem.
It figures....

As in post #2/; "all my tests and instructions below, were done using an Aurora and an Optic 6 before the Aurora was released in USA or UK.
. No issues with either to date."
Just in case of any changes in recent Aurora or Spectra updates, have just retested with Optic 6, Eclipse 7 and others with no problems, even with slave's module still inserted.

The Aurora//Optic 6 Sport/Optic 5/Zebra 4FM cable is a cross wired stereo cable, it is not a mono cable, but a moino cable is used on the SIC cable as detailed and pictured:
[url=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1090600]Aurora - Simulator function Set-up[/URL]

Alan T
NB: J.Perkins are a very recent distributor and their team must be given some latitude whilst they become fully conversant with the extensive Hitec RCD systems and accessories..

Edited By A.T. on 04/09/2011 03:56:56

Edited By A.T. on 04/09/2011 03:57:16

Edited By A.T. on 04/09/2011 04:01:40

That provides me confidence to argue with J Perkins tomorrow as they stated that any Optic 6 they tested, including mine would not buddy with an Aurora 9. They must have done something wrong then.
Thanks

I just spoke to J Perking (Jeffens), nice chap. They are looking into it but he confirms the problem, even following Alan's instructions. Weird. I will update whenever I get some answers.
Carlos

I just received a letter from Hitec USA. However I am not authorised to disclose their statement according to the legal footnote....
Jeezz... what is wrong with making a statement?

Ok, a follow up of my tale. Hitec states that Aurora and Optic should work without any issues. J Perkins found an issue with my 6pin connection at the back of my transmitter and fixed that. Therefore, I was told I will receive my fixed and working transmitter by post. I will update when received it and tested.
Thank you all.

Hi Miguel,

Many, many thanks for your posting. I use an optic 6 with the spectra 2.4 module in the back and was going to buy the Aurora for use as a teachers radio. Your posting has saved me wasting over £270 so thank you so much for that.

I think Futaba or Spektrum will now get my hard earned cash.

Thank you,

Ian

Just to keep things updated. Received a call on Sat, 10/09 from Elite Models. They received my transmitter and will check it to make sure it is working properly. I appreciated this thoughtful approach. I will update when transmitter arrives.

Hi Miguel,

Still not fixed then?

See it's this failure to understand that to the supplier one radio issue is no big problem, but to the radio owner, it's a huge problem. They should have just swapped it out for one that does work, how easy and sensible would that have been.

Hitec, sorry but this level of service sucks, could well be DX8 coming my way !

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry, I should have updated this earlier. The problem is solved. It was never the Aurora 9 but the connector on the Optic 6. J Perkings fixed and returned the transmitter. I tested buddy last week and all was fine as it is suppose to be.
Thank you all.