Lozenge WWI covering

Stevo

I have been looking for a way to paint Solartex with a WW1 5-colour Lozenge Pattern Camouflage using Vallejo acrylic paints on my (Peter Rake designed) Albatross D XI. This design uses a Clark Y aerofoil, so spray-painting the underside using stencils will be relatively straight forward, but the wing top surfaces present a problem using this method, particularly with the leading edges, which I could hand paint, but this is not my forte!

I am therefore thinking, why not tape the Solartex to a flat surface before covering, and use the stencils to spray paint? I could then iron on the covering, saving the problem of tackling the leading edges. But….

BEB has pointed out elsewhere in an earlier post that it would be wise to apply an undercoat to avoid paint leaking under the stencil edges. Could the leaking problem be avoided by first applying one or two layers of thinned dope to seal the surface of the Solartex before painting, or will this create more of a problem with shrinkage than it will solve? If so what other primer or sealant could be used? Will the solartex still tighten without damage or distortion when ironed onto the wings?

I will be fuel proofing the D XI with Aerocote, because I have converted it to take and SC52FS. Tightening the fabric if it stretches at a later date by using dope will then probably not work.

I would be grateful for any comments or advice would be most welcome.

2W

Advert

This subject of German WW1 camouflage was strongly discussed and argued about in the Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft for ages and it kept on cropping up periodically Color variation caused the biggest ( arguments ?? ) discussions.Back issues of the mags 50's/ 60's period should reveal loads. I think it was in annual but not sure which one. Someone with a better memory than mine might be able to say more as I can't get to my old mags right now. I hope they didn't get damp in my shed. It's a good one off the ground and doesn't smell damp and tools aren't rusting but you never know. I know there is damp in my other shed as there are gaps in the boards and I can't get to it at present ,. Any way back on topic. One thing usually agreed on is that colour variations occur straight from the factory and through fading in the field .Also patterns can vary somewhat if they were pre printed designs and depending on which manufacturer they came from.Red and shades containing red were the ones most likely to fade ( Brown, Lilac )

I did this on a DVIII. I would never spray lozenge again.

I went to B&Q, with a colour rintout of the lozenge. I then bought loads of matchpots... masked off each colour and sponged it on. Finished off with fuel proofer.

d7 28.jpg

d7 58.jpg

Part two ( for the third time )One I was told to break it into two parts which I already did .Annoying. Second one shot offand left me with the PM page. Anyway back on topic.I was going to say" usually" providing the plane lasted that long. smiley John xx

Not a lot of work Matty, I believe the lozenge was pre-printed on the roll of material rather than painted. If you look closely at photos of aircraft covered in it you can sometimes make out how the panel covering is made up of strips of material sown together and this can leave a step in the lozenge pattern.

a modern repro using original methods

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 02/06/2017 14:30:30