Greetings

Advert

Almost two years ago, I went through this same process of what first mouldie.

I wanted something fast, precise, aerobatic and versatile, within a reasonable budget.

The Typhoon fits the bill beautifully, so take the advice that Tom is offering.

Beware beacuse there is no such thing as a "one and only" mouldie.

Once you fly a mouldie, the addiction reaches a whole new level.

I now have three and am looking for another!

Posted by Slopeflyer on 20/09/2011 18:59:49:
Thanks Tom,

So which are better than the typhoon.. Or at least similar. Bearing in mind I want fast, precise, aerobatic
And versatile.

Cheap would also be good, but since this going to be my one and only mouldy, which should it be.

First and only? Ha! Yeah right ......

Typhoon really does tick the right first mouldie boxes like the guys say. But (and this doesn't help you much) the Vector III is a real cracker for aeros. 2.365m, takes 1.4 Kg ballast and is in the same price bracket. I had a stir of the sticks with one the other day - and now I really want one of those too.

Ro.

Posted by RGPuk on 20/09/2011 20:22:35:
Posted by Slopeflyer on 20/09/2011 18:59:49:
Thanks Tom,

So which are better than the typhoon.. Or at least similar. Bearing in mind I want fast, precise, aerobatic
And versatile.

Cheap would also be good, but since this going to be my one and only mouldy, which should it be.

First and only? Ha! Yeah right ......

Typhoon really does tick the right first mouldie boxes like the guys say. But (and this doesn't help you much) the Vector III is a real cracker for aeros. 2.365m, takes 1.4 Kg ballast and is in the same price bracket. I had a stir of the sticks with one the other day - and now I really want one of those too.

Ro.

Yes, shhh, i need to tell the mrs this is the last one, or ill be in trouble.

Yes, the vector 3, now theres a machine id also like. Again, i heard they are more suited to the long mynd, rather than local bumps.

Edited By Slopeflyer on 20/09/2011 21:09:03

Posted by Peewhit on 20/09/2011 20:53:16:
Hi Roger,

Does the Vector not have a symmetrical wing therefore not so versatile regarding light lift.

I would like one of those too.

Yup. The wing section is symmetrical apparently and it was with massive trepidation that I had a stir with someone else's machine on a really dodgy lift day at Baildon west slope. I was amazed at just how well she made the most things. With some full-span camber dialled in, Vector was as easy to fly on a poor day as Luna, which is meant to be far more of a pussycat.

To be fair, although I'm sure it was down to some great set-up and trim, my lust was properly tweaked by the precision of the aeros. It even made me look vaguely competent. And - I think she looks good too - very pleasing proportions and a tad different.

Ro.

Posted by Tom Satinet on 20/09/2011 09:09:31:
Alex XL
Blade 1.9

I would put the bigger 2.5m stuff in another price bracket (e.g Tomcat, alex XXL, skorpion needle 100, big bird etc) . Although the mach 2 is 2.4.

Edited By Tom Satinet on 20/09/2011 09:12:00

Personnally, I dont like the Alex, or the Luna or the blade.

I dont know the others, but so far i like the typoon and the vector.

I think it will come down to what i can fly on the local pimple. I doubt that the vectopr 3 would fly on that.

However, i want the machine to perform on hill coastal hills too, as i often fly there too.

So possibly the vector would win on the big hill?

The extra 0.4m span take is just above the size i think i want but its certainly interesting and since its about the same price, attractive.

How is the typhoon on big coastal sites?

Edited By Slopeflyer on 20/09/2011 21:25:40

According to popular opinion, you don't more local and pimply than the west slope of Baildon. There are those that are very disparaging about the place and it's characteristics.

If I managed not to stuff Vector in there, enjoy flying and land well, on a very duff day, then it must be saying something.

Ro.

Posted by RGPuk on 20/09/2011 21:36:10:
According to popular opinion, you don't more local and pimply than the west slope of Baildon. There are those that are very disparaging about the place and it's characteristics.

If I managed not to stuff Vector in there, enjoy flying and land well, on a very duff day, then it must be saying something.

Ro.

You havent been to Burton Dassett country park then have you. That wins the 'worst pimple in UK crown' by a long way ill wager.

Posted by Slopeflyer on 20/09/2011 23:02:00:
So the view is that the typhoon is better in poor lift than the vector 3, but the vector is better in big air? Peewit, how is your wizard compact? That's also abOut the right size but more pricey. What the performance like?

Edited By Slopeflyer on 20/09/2011 23:03:23

"So the view is that the typhoon is better in poor lift than the vector 3, but the vector is better in big air?"

That may very well be the case for those with more experience and comparative perception - but even with limited experience, I didn't find that. But I was flying a Vector set up rather well.

Over to you Peter re the Wiz.

Ro.

Posted by Peewhit on 20/09/2011 23:20:05:
Wizard Compact is fine thank you and, for three times the price, flies nearly as well as the Typhoon.

I have the C93 clockwork version which needs to be "wound up" before every flight.

Bye.

Well, the first bit says loads - but the second bit, I don't understand. What does C93 mean?

You up for an Orme visit soon Pete? PM me your e-mail address please - I washed your card in my mucky jeans. ...

Ro.

Jimbo,

Having seen your last project, I was about to fold on this thread thinking that it was one big wind up, but thanks to Tom I will persevere.

The Wizard is a totally different animal and even my "lighter" C93 version weighs in at 95oz compared with 55oz for the Typhoon.

The Wizard needs big air (20mph+) and a big space. It is fast, responsive and good fun yet is not as agile as the Typhoon. It is also full of quality build and expensive.

You asked about the Typhoon in big sea air.

It has a big ballast tube and just using brass rod as opposed to lead, will take up to 24oz of ballast.

Ballasted, it will cope in nearly all wind conditions and I have flown it at Filey on the coast with no problems.

I have also flown it in 6mph at the Hole of Horcum.

You want versatility combined with performance, so check out the Typhoon videos on you tube then go and get one.

Posted by Peewhit on 21/09/2011 11:14:10:
Jimbo,

Having seen your last project, I was about to fold on this thread thinking that it was one big wind up, but thanks to Tom I will persevere.

Hmm. I was wondering about that too .... however ....

Wind the clock back a year or so. With just a Wildthing 60 and a couple of dodgy Chinese glass fuz and balsa winged specials under my belt, I'd have gone for a Typhoon as my first mouldie rather than Luna - if one had been available and I'd known any better. And I should have known better 'cos I'd seen Pete's fly.

You just need the right hill and the right blow I guess Peter, and then you'll get chance to fall in love with your Wiz properly. The Orme beckons - mail address received, I'll keep in touch.

Ro.

It took a while to get around to that one Jim.

You won't regret it, either on your mound or in big sea air.

Just don't go and spoil it by putting in any nasty cheap servos, and note that the aileron servos need to be very thin (9mm is fine) otherwise they will stick out of the wing.

The deck space is also very tight and needs careful planning - there is a blog of my build somewhere on this section of the forum.

If you need any help in the assembly, just shout (or ask Tom).

Roger,

I have had my Wizard for twelve months, have fallen in love with it, and love flying it.

Just get a bit frustrated when conditions are not right, and have only flown it properly once this summer.

In a good blow, it will hold its own nicely against these so called F3F ships.

Now for this Saturday (24th) there is a 15mph (20+ on the edge) SSW forecast for Horcum - definitely Wizard weather.

Would love to try the Orme - transport via V5 or TSI?

Edited By Peewhit on 21/09/2011 19:05:27

I'll see if a second hand one comes up at end of season, otherwise ill build one. Have plenty of time, weather turned sour and lots of stuff coming onto the market daily.Savox 0255 have been recommended to me, servo wise. Not used them myself, but they are better than hs 5125 and nearly half the price.Anyone got one for sale, (i already asked tom - no deal there).

Edited By Slopeflyer on 21/09/2011 19:57:03