Greetings

Just joined the forums.

Keen on slope soaring.

Been flying for about 8 months.

My toys include

Wild thing, m60, spirit elite, highlight, psycho, acrostar and vortex.

Thinking of buying a first mouldy. Any tips? I would like something over 2m, precise, quick and aerobatic. Like my acrostar.

I consider myself a pretty good flyer, my slope vary from very poor (local slope) to big Coastal sites with epic lift. So want something flexible. Must also pack small and prefer Standard tails.

Thanks.

Jimbo.

Edited By Slopeflyer on 16/09/2011 21:32:40

Edited By Slopeflyer on 16/09/2011 21:33:53

Advert

Posted by Peewhit on 18/09/2011 15:39:18:
Hi slopeflyer,

A lot does depend upon your budget.

The Tomcat does look lovely but it is 600 notes.

I have a 2M RCRCM Typhoon which is fast, fully aerobatic and half the price - available from Sloperacer

Had I known more about mouldies prior to getting Luna II, AND had far more time before leaving for a holiday on The Isle of Skye (sea breezes and big cliffs .. .. ) Typhoon would have been the choice for my first slippery machine - mainly based on looks and reputation.

That said, a year down the road I am not disappointed with Luna II one little bit. She is a fine machine for the dosh.

Availability can be a big issue with these models types, and on the day Luna II was in stock locally, in a colour that didn't offend, Typhoon was not.

I've seen Peewhit's 'Phoon strut it's stuff, in the merest zephyr and in a gale with lead in it's belly. Fast, agile and red. Very red. Lovely .. ..

Ro.

Tomcat - nice but too expensive for rcrcm midel IMO.
Big bird - can't see a price for that, but I like it.
Phoon - does look like a contender. It ticks the fast precise and aerobatic boxes. However I've heard that the tail breaks easily before the x tail and build quality is suspect.
Luna - seen one of these fly, has changed hands a few times as owners not seemed to get on with it. Not fast enough for me I think as on mh32 section.

Tough choice this ...

Posted by Slopeflyer on 18/09/2011 16:35:47:
Tomcat - nice but too expensive for rcrcm midel IMO.
Big bird - can't see a price for that, but I like it.
Phoon - does look like a contender. It ticks the fast precise and aerobatic boxes. However I've heard that the tail breaks easily before the x tail and build quality is suspect.
Luna - seen one of these fly, has changed hands a few times as owners not seemed to get on with it. Not fast enough for me I think as on mh32 section.

Tough choice this ...

TomCat - the jury's out until I've seen one up close at T9.
Big Bird - GFK - 615.00 euro, Carbon - 755.00 euro, Double Carbon - 855.00 euro - but I don't know how these euro list prices translate into the UK distributors prices.
Typhoon - I'd still like one and Peewhit's seems fine for quality - but things do seem changeable in this price bracket.
Luna - I like mine very much but it has suffered a (common but easily fixed) split in the fuz halves join just in font of the fin. The section isn't the fastest but it isn't slow either.

Choosing a machine is always hard.

Yes the Typhoon can break, as can all mouldies.

I have seen a Skorpion F3F job smash into many small pieces.

On landing approach, I caught a downdraft 2ft off the ground, did a cartwheel and this was the result

Fus smashed just behind the wing.

All was not lost.

A kevlar bandage with resin, filler, lick of paint, and it now flies again as good as new.
The one good thing is that it now needs slightly less ballast

My Typhoon has had over 150 hours in the air and has survived some fairly hard landings.

IMHO for performance per £ they are the best value on the market.

Still fancy that Tomcat though!

Mine is the glass version.

You can't access the fus for inside strengthening unless you canabalise it and hack off the nose pod.

It does need strengthening at the front where the ballast tube ends.

This is easily achieved with some glass cloth/resin through the part of the deck opened up for the servos.

Are you tempted yet?

Slopeflyer, to whom is that comment addressed?

I am out on the slope at least once a week and I note that you do not yet have a profile.

Regardless, if you are anywhere near Yorkshire, send me a PM and you can have a go with mine.

Sometimes gardening (otherwise maintenance) is necessary to get the most out of the plants (planes).

Edited By Peewhit on 18/09/2011 22:23:05

To Tom.

Peewit, Thanks for the offer that's very generous. I imagine the phoon goes real nice on those big yorks hills.

As for gardening, that comes a distant second for me and you it seems At least now is autumn, the garden is dying not growing and one can dedicate mOre time to flying and building.

The hills do not need to be very big.

Just long, steep and facing the right direction.

Sloperacer have Typhoons due in October, but their order list is filling up fast.

This model does seem to sell very quickly.

I wonder what the reason is for that.

One of our club members had a Luna and then he saw my Typhoon go.

He sold the Luna and guess what he bought!

Tom,

Bad luck with the ballast.

My C of G has gone back and back and back.

Zim at Sloperacer flies his at 100mm, but I am happy with mine at 97mm.

Since moving it back to this, the Typhoon is much more responsive and aerobatic, and uncannily it also rolls faster.

On thermal, it does need increased aileron differential otherwise there is a tendency for tip stalling.

What C of G are you running on?

Hey, we could start a new (yet another) Typhoon thread here.

yeah it's probably old ground but I can't remember the previous threads...

I did have ballast but I shared it with another model which I since sold including the ballast, so now I need to make some more or buy the ballast kit. To be honest I felt it was a model that didn't want to be over ballasted, but I haven't flown it in enough conditions to get a real feel for it. But as I say it does what I want of it.

Not sure what CG I am on - pulled a fair bit of lead out of the nose - I would guess in the low 90s somewhere. Yeah it is pretty agile - the roll rate is good even for the size.