Ask 18 1/4 scale glider from Cliff Charlesworth plans

Nice one Tomtom39, a good option.

Well I have just returned from the field with the ASK-18 after a lovely 33 minute flight, which used 59% of a 5000mah 4 cell lipo, and that was in neutral lift conditions doing continual climb outs and glides.

I tested out the stall, did a couple of loops, chandelles, and a few spins one of which was 2.5 turns. It's amazing how quickly the speed builds up with the ship, I am not used to that with flying my lightweight floaters. I was amazed at the nose down angle the glider took after an abrupt stall! with the sun shining strongly on the wings I was confused for a split second what I was seeing, as the model had pitched it's nose down further than expected. All part of the learning process with a big scale ship I assume!

Below is a picture mid spin from my video! The video has yet to be produced and put on youtube but will soon when I get time smiley

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 08/12/2012 10:40:00

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, today I flew the K18 from a bigger field than our home field in Ollerton, this time in Worksop, in Nottinghamshire. I had a good 17 minutes flight with the K18, and did some more aerobatics which was a lot of fun smiley

I had the Gopro video camera onboard again and my friend Kev video'd the glider from the ground with my HD camera, and has made a good job of the video. 

I have made the video already and am currently in the process of uploading it to youtube. It takes 5 hours to upload a 7 minute video is this normal? so will leave the PC on overnight.

I will post the video here soon!

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 21/12/2012 22:35:26

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 21/12/2012 22:35:45

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 21/12/2012 22:36:58

Here is the video from yesterday's flight. The flight duration was 17 minutes and I used 36% of a 5000mah 4 cell battery, which was good smiley considering I was wasting energy with aerobatics!

The landing was far too 'hot' and I did not use air-brakes initially, the plane bounces and then I deploy a bit of brake and land normally. The field I flew from is very big and landings even without airbrakes are not a problem. So all in all another successful flight. This means the K-18 now has 1 hour and 7 mins in the log book!

• 6 months later...

I have been flying my ASK-18 quite a lot, well I think it's a lot lol, so far I have clocked up 3hrs and 33 mins over several flights and the flight performance of the model is fantastic. It reponds well to lift, a little too well, just take a look at this video, I really thought I would lose the model today !!

It just kept getting smaller and smaller, now when a 4 metre wingspan model begins to look like a dot that's not good at all!

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 25/06/2013 23:15:13

• 1 month later...

Hi John, what a question! Well I did enjoy building the ASK-18, and it's a lovely model to fly so well worth the build in my opinion. The only major thing I would change is to use full ribs and notch them for spars top and bottom of the wing, rather than having a continuous spar and having to cut each wing rib in two, as that was a bit of a pain.

Make sure you get the control snakes nice and free as my elevator sticks a bit with a double neutral issue.

I wish you best of luck with the build

Thank you for the info Stuart. I remember your comments on the ribs from earlier in the build thread. I dare say its 6 of one verus half a dozen of the oher. Either way its lots of bits of ribs or lots of bits of spar! Just for the hell of it I will follow your advice and let you know how that goes. I am always very fussy about snakes so will be sure to follow your advice there

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, I have noticed when flying the ASK-18 it porpoises up and down, I have looked at the servo and it's OK, the elevator is free and smooth in movement.

I found that I am getting a double neutral on the elevator position, and hence the oscillation in flight. I think this is due to plastic snakes, so I have removed the elevator snake.

Now, I want to replace this with a pushrod and would like some advice as to the diameter of pushrod required to operate the elevator.

The length of the pushrod ( inc the connectors) would need to be around 41" or 1041 mm in new money

I have read that hardwood is a good material to use, is that so?, and what cross- section is best, square or round?

Also, does the push rod need apertures to pass through, to stop it flexing along it's length. When the pushrod is pushed forward it will give up elevator but this is the most likely to cause buckling / bowing of the pushord as it's in compression.

Regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I have a 1/4 scale T61 which had a sloppy servo linkage with a rear mounted servo( and lead in the nose).I moved the servo to the rear of the cockpit and used a 6mm carbon rod with 3mm pushrods epoxied down the tube.This is supported down the fuselage with 2 no 6mm square balsa across the fuselage frames and 2 vertically in the form of a cross with the carbon pushrod running in the hole. one at either end of the fuselage. This has removed the slop and allowed me to remove 125g of lead from the nose.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi Stuart

The carbon rod is hollow.The hole is a good fit for the 3mm pushrod and epoxy.I then bound the pushrod around the end of the tube with thread and epoxy for insurance!

Yes the carbon rod part of the pushrod slides in the balsa guides .I installed the pushrod and then fitted the guides to ensure no slop or binding.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Steve, I have received some 6mm carbon tube with a 3mm inside diameter, the length is just right! Just a quick question about the 3mm pushrods. Firstly is this just 3mm wire with a bend at each end to go through the control horn/servo head with keepers at each end. Or do you have the threaded variety which take a metal clevis on the end, one that is adjustable by screwing the clevis in or out?.