HobbyKing Buddy Codes

Pete B

Like the earlier 'Swarm' scheme, it all looked a bit complicated to me but yesterday, in the course of ordering a few bits from HK, I thought I'd look a bit closer at their Buddy Code system, which is a way of obtaining a lower price on certain items.

By way of example, I was able to reduce the price of Nano-Tech 3S 2200 25-50C Li-Po's from $16.48 to just $10.27 each and the Turnigy 4000mAh DX8 Tx Li-Po pack from $17.95 to $15.12, not to mention their 50g super-thin CA reduced from $2.39 to just $0.97!

Those savings, IMHO, make it well worth a bit of time spent checking whether there is a code available for your product.

RCG has a number of threads on their 'Hot Online Deals' part of the forum and there is a specific website RC International where you can browse or search to see if what you are looking for has a code.

I'm a long way from fully understanding the system but, first and foremost, you must be logged-in to your account on the HobbyKing site, then do a search for a code on RC International or click on a published link on a forum.

If the code is valid (and they are time-limited) the HK product page opens with the reduced price indicated by an asterisk. Put it in your cart and you get that reduction!

Conversely, I couldn't find a code yesterday for a particular motor, the NTM Prop Drive 3548 900Kv, so I paid the normal member price of $21.30. Today, I checked the order page to see a blue footprint symbol alongside that item.

Clicking on that, the site produced a Buddy Code for that item, reducing the price by $4.12.

I've uploaded this code to RC International and posted it on an RCG thread. If anyone else takes advantage of this code, I'll have the $4.12 credited to my account for future use. No, you only get it once.....

OK, it isn't the most intuitive scheme going, but a bit of application has produced enough savings to pay my postage costs for this particular order.

Not to be sniffed at, I'd say!

Pete

Advert

Cheers, Mark. So far as I can make out, if you have purchased those Li-Po's within the past 14 days, and on checking your order page you see the blue footprint against the item, you can generate a code (which will show you the discount), publish it on the Web and, if others use that code, you'll be credited with the value of the discount.

With a bit of application, it seems difficult to lose, doesn't it?

Pete