Hacker Reno Racer

Ian Jones

I won it in a raffle a few months ago and it's been in the way ever since.

Not really my kind of aeroplane but... ....get back you lot , I'm keeping it .

It just might be some fun one these upcoming short winter days.

The power spec is for a MegaForce 330 motor & 2 cell LiPo neither of which do I have. However contained in a crumpled up mess in a corner I do Have:
High speed APC Style propeller 0706E / E7x6 ( tpro HSP 0706E )
FC2812 1650KV Brushless Outrunner Motor ( EMZCF2812 emax outrunnner )
A couple of 1300 3 cell LiPo's

In fact there's enough in that crumpled up mess to totally fit out the Cosmic Wind at zero cost, that would be nice.

It should go like stink with that setup, or will it just no go, more sink ?

I could look for help from Hacker but www.hacker-model.com is no longer working. So any experience of this model or suggestions re power setup would very handy thank you chaps.

Edited By Ian Jones on 23/10/2011 20:01:43

Advert

Right that's it then.

Except I've just had a bath and in the bath I tend to relax and think about my playthings (it's alright, you can read on safely) . It suddenly came to me that I could cover the all EPP airframe with CW tape and chuck it off a slope.

Now what do I do!

• 3 months later...

Life's necessities continue to get in the way but a little more progress has been made:

Transplant In Progress

The Mini Jazz donor lies alongside Cosmic Wind whilst the transplant takes place. All servos are now fitted and the electrics have been removed from the donor. You might have noticed that the two rear servos are the same way around instead of opposing each other for balance.

The instructions clearly show the rudder to be hinged on the other side to this. Hope it doesn't affect the balance much.

Rudder Hinge !

enlightened Oh! I don't suppose it would be much trouble to move the elevator to the other side though.

I've never used an airbrush, so I thought I'd have a play. Hmm, room for improvement embarrassed

Spats

By the way, after I submitted this post I returned to edit it. Selected the image of the spats and then clicked on the image icon. In the resulting dialogue box I disproportionately extended the height value so that when it was displayed in the thread it looked about right. This worked even though the image was originally inserted via the "Insert from album" icon.

Edited By Ian Jones on 19/02/2012 00:49:06

Edited By Ian Jones on 19/02/2012 00:50:08

Just finished too late in the day to fly so it sits in the garage waiting for a maiden flight. What an unfortunate time to be going away for week, especially with a calm weekend forecast.

Hmm, should I put an extra well padded suit case in the car?

Finished 23/02/12

Finished 23/02/12

If I'm happy with it after the maiden flight I'll hide/tidy up those wires a bit.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 24/02/2012 15:05:13

• 2 weeks later...

Sure enough, it was a maiden for the Cosmic Wind on 06/03/12, followed by several more flights to adjust the CG rearward a little at a time. Result: a good flyer, average to quick across the sky and fun. I'm not convinced the batteries I used really delivered the gogo they used to though.

Post Maiden 06/03/2012

Safely back to earth, no worse for wear.

• 1 month later...