Blackhorse Chipmunk

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Flew mine for the first time yesterday; it was way too windy for a maiden flight, but temptation got the better of me...

Flew a couple of circuits before bringing her in, and despite the gusty conditions she coped very well; landing was a non event, she just settled in as soon as the throttle was cut.

I fitted a Saito 82 which, when canted a few degees from fully inverted, fits inside the cowl without any cutting required.  The 82 is a very light engine so I had to add a fair amount of nose weight to bring the COG forward.  Seems to have plenty of power.

This model is amazingly well finished for the price, and builds very well.  In my opinion it's a real bargain.

Andy, what was your opinion of the tail wheel/rudder arrangement? Did you have any problems with the under wing fairing?

I also really like this model but find it has a few annoying failings which could be easily remedied at source.

The weight thing is interesting, in order to clear the carb on a Saito 100, I had to mount the engine 5mm forward of the plans suggested position. The result was perfect balance. Can I take it that the 82 fitted in the correct position?

thanks,,decal is an image from the web then printed and coverd over in clear sticky back plastic with a quater inch overhang then put on to the fuz(cheeting is always the cheep option)...sc 91 4/...spinner in pic is a replacement after suffering from thrown props,the original has a smooth back plate and was not griping.new one is an irvine one and i nolonger get the prop drop..

ps decals on the p51 on same page are done the same way

• 1 month later...

Just screwing mine together now (Chrissie prezzie) I have a Magnum 70 fs for mine, yes I'm sure this will notprovide unlimited performance but it will MAKE me fly the model in a much more 'scale like' fashion than my usual! After a brief look at all your comments I haven't found any comments on how much flap has been tried! I'll post this and then have a look at all the pictures.

Thanx Ian  I want to use gear swich for flaps as its simpler to operate but I can set 'throw' up on trannie and then, as you say, adjust to suit. will keep you informed. Reading between the lines it looks like its going to be tal heavy so I will move servos forward and mount throttle on f/ward inside of fuz. If it tunes out to be necessary I can also fit battery in engine bay!?

Steve

Hi Steve,

The Chipmunk flies very happily without using flaps but they are a nice feature to enjoy using.

I've set mine up on a 2 position switch to give about 8 degrees for take off and about 18 for landing. I have mixed a little down elevator in.

If the speed is a bit high when the flaps are deployed the nose will point up dramatically. Once the speed has decayed, the model descends in the perfect attitude for a '3 pointer'.

I don't think that your c of g is going to be far out with the 70. I'm using a slightly lighter engine that's mounted 5mm forward of the position stated in the manual. With 5 AA cells above the tank, it's pretty much spot on.

Ian, thanks for that. I did get a 63mm Irvine spinner, but it didn't last very long. I shall order up the 57mm. Cheers

Thanx for that Clive, I'm sure it doesn't need them too but new is novel so it's something of interest. I have flown a few flapped aircraft before, non of them belonging to me, and one of them (trainer) I could dial in about 60*. It HAD to be landed at a very steep angle and rounded out at the last moment. It was great fun that one!!!

Nearly finished the wings now and will be starting on fuz tomorrow.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Ok chaps nearly finished the 'build' Yes I know it's been a while but I'm only putting in an hour or so some evenings! I've found all the points that you all have put in words and solved them one way or another, but on the whole not a bad kit  Its so nice not to have to mess about with the cockpit area and I must say that the 'office' is quite convincing. Just got battery, receiver and switch to fit but having already done a C/G check have found that the point has come out 15mm behind the recommended position i.e. 115mm behind leading edge! (The battery is a 1400 green cell 4.8 volt and was placed at about the front bulkhead!)

Has anyone got any measurements for their finished and flown chippies?

STEVE

Hi all,

I have been considering getting this model for quite some time now. The build qualitiy does look very good at this price range

Can anyone comment on the likelyhood of converting it to electric! i.e. battery access etc.

Thanks,

Walts. 

The battery would probably be best placed where the fuel tank sits. There would be plenty of room for most battery configerations. It will require cutting a hole in the firewall to suit and making a hatch in the engine cowling. This could be either from the top or underneith and is easier than removing the wings to change battery.

You will need to make an extended motor mount in order to get the correct cowl fit but this will be an easy task and will give even more battery room.

My feeling is that this will be an easy modification and that the kit is worth the effort. It is well built and with the possible exception of the engine mounting bulkhead, light enough.

Hopefully you will here from Murray who has an electrified Chippy, for further (and more expert) thoughts.

Thanks for the reply Clive,

I have a birthday coming up and I'm looking for something not too expensive as a pressie from the misses...........something with in the price range of her Nintendo DS + games i bought her for her's last week, don't want her thinking I'm trying to out do her!

this seems to fit the bill nicely! although i do like the look of the CMPro 50 size Zero too! If it's going to be an ARTF then it has to look half convincing to start with, Which so far these two do seem to don't they.

Cheers,

Walts.