Blackhorse Chipmunk

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Hi to all ive read a lot of you also have issues with the tail wheel...the fullsize chippie has a fully caste ring tail wheel completely free from the rudder which would do away with the appalling idea in the kit ive used the wire to move the rudder but not the tailwheel that slides through a hole in a cross member inside the fuz i hope this helps other than that its a good kit  ive put a OS91 in mine   cheers mark

• 3 months later...

Mark,

I built the Airsail Chippie a few years ago and my one regret was the castoring tailwheel, which is, as you rightly say, as per full size.  However, the full size uses differential braking via the rudder pedals (you partially apply the wheel brake lever which allows drag on the wheels without locking them) which allows you to steer when taxying crosswind and helps in the initial stages of take off.  Although my Chipmunk is a delight to taxi in light winds, in anything more it was a real pain.  I don't know the extent of the problems on this model but I would not recommend free castoring.

Recently, I locked the tailwheel with a few degrees of controlled self centering movement using rubber stops and it is now a delight even in strong winds.  Perhaps a simple fixed tailwheel would be the answer unless, perhaps, operating from concrete or tarmac?

I must say that the flying pictures on Clive's original article look superb - very realistic - but what was going on when they designed that cowling!  It looks nothing like the very distinctive deHavilland nose.  I wonder if the Airsail one (or a Carbon Copy relacement) would fit these models and finish them off? I think they're a similar size...

• 6 years later...

Hello and many thanks to all of you who've taken the time and trouble to post your experiences, pics and advice on building this kit. I'm about to start my build having finally gathered the bits and set some time aside to get the head down and get on with it, so I'll be referring to all of this a lot over the next while.. I'm fitting a Saito FA72 to mine.

.smile d

• 1 month later...

Hi Mr Muttley. Just thought I would add my experiences which might help after building and repairing a few of these...oops! My Chippie uses an inverted mount OS95v and a 5cell 2500ma battery mounted under the engine in the front. I have a just engines aluminium spinner. This balances well with not much lead in the front(about 60g). I reinforced the plane from new with epoxy and matting especially in the engine bay where I added an internal thickener to the firewall too. I also reinforced the cowling and fuselage which is a bit delicate.  I cut an extra engine vent and put in baffles(for looks mainly as I like to see the engine but the standard kit vent is offset).
The tail wheel definitely needs upgrade. The standard tail wheel is heavy and control wire too feeble. I used a lighter foam tyre Wot 4 tail wheel, but upgraded the wire with a much thicker grade. My tip for the tail wheel upgrade, with thicker wire is to just bend the 90deg part which slots into the rudder first then assemble and glue. When all is assembled and dry, then make the more complex bends near the wheel using adjustable wrenches. NB It's essential to grind a flat spot on the tail wire where the control horn fixing will grip. I also cyano'd that. Good luck it's a great plane and flys very well the flaps are fun and as long as you don't put them on with too much speed it only needs a few degrees of down elevator mix.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 26/11/2015 13:49:43