E Sport Phoenix

trev

Hello everybods,

A visit to my LMS a few weeks ago resulted in the purchase of the E Sport Phoenix. i wanted something really easy and stable to fly and this is what the man behind the counter reccommended. I looked for info on the internet but there is very little available, so I thought - write a quick review!

I havent flown a rc aircraft for in excess of 30 years and then it was only gliders that I used to fly, wanted to return and learn on something forgiving - enter the phoenix. It came fully RTF, was very easy to build and had superb, clear full colour instructions. It is a foamie 4 channel pusher, with a 4 blade prop, approx 1.4 mtr wingspan and for the money in my opinion, was a bargain. I installed a Futaba EX6 radio system as i wanted better control and dual rates but to be fair, the supplied 2.4Ghz kit is nothing to be ashamed of.

First flight this week, appropriately on an old raf airfield. Did all the BMFA reccommended pre flight checks, then had an assistant to launch it for me. It goes immidiately nose down,so a bit of up elevator and it is away like a rocket, it was about a 7 - 10 mph wind and was a bit twitchy and I was tending to overcompensate quite a lot. throttled back and it was a bit better but still very twitchy. thought I had better bring it in to land, got caught in a cross wind, panicked and put it into a tree - fortunately not too high up, so we got it back after about 35 mins and luckily no damage....lol. Back to the drawing board - dual rates set to 40 percent, all control surfaces checked for damage - all ok. Launched again and trimmed her out properly. This time, what a difference, she flew absolutely beautifully, in fact on subsequent flights I cut the throttle right back or off altogether. Characteristics - smooth, predictable, forgiving and really really good fun - everything a trainer should be. I did plenty of long slow circuits, figure eights, even a few loops and stall turns and lots of course, lots of landings - my smile must have been huge, it was simply joyful after being so nervous about flying again after so long. The kit comes with a 1500ah lipo as standard and this was the power pack I used. I figure I was up in the air for a good 20 mins and also figured that was enough and not to push my luck. Put the battery on the meter and it was still at 45 percent capacity - well impressed, I just cant praise this kit enough, it is wonderful . but does have one or two minor drawbacks, which I will highlight in a minute.

Summary=

would I reccommend this to a newbie - yes without doubt, it is fun, easy and fun. Oh, did I say fun, not sure if I did. ( sorry - I am still beaming like a cheshire cat ) Cant wait to get back in the air again but weather has now turned for the next few days !!!!!!

Quality - very good

value - superb

Pros - handling characteristics, kit content, value, quality, fun, forgiving flight and excellent glide characteristics. Comes apart easily for simple transport and storage. Surprisingly robust.

Cons. very little really. Would be nice if it had an undrcarriage ( minor issue ) but I am working on that, one can be fitted very easily.
Wings didnt seperate in flight but it just feels like it might do, so working on a slight mod with some velcro to cure this. The only other slight thing I can think of is the weight. At 650g FW it is too light to do the BMFA A Cert, which is a shame as this plane really instills confidence and would be a great model to take the test with. And thats about it really - minor stuff.

overall rating - an easy 9 out of 10.

Hope this helps someone who is looking for a trainer - this one will deliver!! I spent hours deliberating over what to get - so thanks to my LMS, who was an enormous help, full of advice, pleasant and suffered the amatuer questions of this mature but eager newbie willingly and incredibly patiently.

Any questions - plse feel free to ask and I will answer them gladly.
cheers
trev.

Edited By trev on 02/11/2011 22:45:02