Vote! Use it or lose it!

Peter Christy

As some of you will know, I've been agitating very hard within the BMFA to try and make it more accountable to the membership.

This resulted in last year's first ever ballot of the membership for the election of some members of the executive.

However, due to the poor turnout, opposition to "One Member, One Vote" is growing in Council.There are some on Council who
wish to remove the right of you, the members, to vote directly on who runs the BMFA.

If you wish to retain the right to vote in future BMFA elections (even if you don't always use it), it is essential that you make your views known to the Council!

I have therefore set up an e-petition, where you can go and register your support for democracy within the BMFA. The address is:

http://www.vote-bmfa.org.uk/

Please head on over there and register your support! Please also spread the word as far as you can!

This is YOUR Association, and it is run with YOUR money. It seems only right that YOU should have a say in who runs it!

Thanks in advance,

Pete Christy

Advert

"Peter, What ever happened to the Model Pilots Association. When It died a while
back there was no explantion in RCME although it was advertised in the mag."

Allan,

I'm not connected to RCM&E, or the publishers, so I can't give you a definitive answer.

I know the group of magazines has changed hands several times in recent years, and I think the Model Pilots Association parted company during one of the changes of ownership.

I thought they used to own a couple of fields, so perhaps they still exist, and are just keeping a low profile!

Maybe someone else will pick up this thread and provide an answer!

--
Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys, I am also a licenced radio amateur. The national body is the Radio Society of Gt. Britain. The same problems abound there. I think that the corporate body thinks the membership is a encumbrance.
Any way why call It Gt. Britain, there is nothing GT about the way this country has been sold down the river.

<Hi Guys, I am also a licenced radio amateur. The national body is the Radio Society of Gt. Britain. The same problems abound there. I think that the corporate body thinks the membership is a encumbrance.>

Yes, but let's DO something about it! These attitudes only grow because WE ALLOW them to!

Right now you ALL have an opportunity to make yourselves heard! Act NOW! You may not get another chance....!!!

--
Pete

Hi. Peter, although I am not a member of the BMFA I'm with you on this issue. Perhaps
I could suggest that only when they introduce " one member one vote" will I even
consider becoming a member. When I joined
the MPA some years ago I did so because I had heard that the BMFA membership was not
altogether happy with the way things were
going in the BMFA. It's a great pity the MPA folded when it did. I'm sure I'm not the
only one who felt that the BMFA were in need
of competition.The more I hear of the BMFA the more I wonder if they are some kind of aeromodelling qwango. Does anyone else feel that way?

<Perhaps I could suggest that only when they introduce " one member one vote" will I even
consider becoming a member. >

Well, "one member, one vote" was actually introduced last year. The problem is that because so few members bothered to vote - for a variety of reasons - the system is already under threat!

I fully accept that last year's elections could have been better handled, but let's not forget that this was a first attempt. It was a learning curve for everyone, and the problems can easily be addressed.

However, the poor turn out has given plenty of ammunition to those who wish to revert to the old ways of doing things. I need something to fight back with, so please, BMFA members, get over to www.vote-bmfa.org.uk and register your support!

--
Pete

• 4 weeks later...
Just a reminder that the e-petition site closes on the 30th of April.

So far it has only attracted 156 votes! Out of 35,000 members, that is pretty pathetic, and I can only assume that none of the members cares about how their money is spent, or if the leadership should be accountable to the members!

If we lose this, it effectively shuts the door to you having any meaningful say in how your hobby is run - and don't think it doesn't affect you! It does!

Whether its getting frequencies, protecting flying sites or any other clashes with officialdom, your only voice is the BMFA!

If it wasn't for the BMFA, we'd still be flying on 27 MHz, with only six channels available! There would be no 35 MHz, or 2.4 GHz. Anything larger than a rubber powered 20" span chuckie would have been banned some years ago under CAA proposals, had the BMFA not intervened. So this DOES affect you!

Make sure you have a say in the future!

Get over to www.vote-BMFA.org.uk and register your vote!

--
Pete

Antony,

All you need is your BMFA number. You may be able to contact the office and get this, if it hasn't arrived yet.

The deadline is midnight on the 30th, though it may stay open a little after that whilst my web-master saves the database.

Mike and Antony (and all those others who have voted),

Thank you for your support!

I'm going to need it!

--
Pete