adding differential to ailerons via Tx

Handyman

Can any whizz-kid out there tell this white haired old (66) aeromedeller how to introduce aileron differential, electronically to my aircraft, instead of mechanically, as I am used to doing.

I am using Futaba's  T6EXA equipment, and although I have read the manual through several times, I still don't seem to have hacked it,

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Handyman

Advert

I must ask the obvious question first Handyman .....

You are using seperate servos for each aileron aren't you? ....you are - oh good !

Being a whizzjkid 56 yr old JR Spekky man m'self there may be a small difference in menu selection etc, but this is basically what you need to do.

All the following assumes of course, that the set actual provides this function in its system.

Ensure the system is set correctly for 2 independant servo operation -normally you must have the wing setup as either flapperon or elevon mode within the SETUP mode. Then in the main settings menu - function - ( as opposed to SETUP settings ) find "differential" and simply dial in the amount you require. On the JR system increasing the amount DECREASES the down going travel of the ailerons

EG: "the more you set the more the effect" IYSWIM.

However I believe ( and someone will no doubt correct me if wrong ) that on the Futaba sets, the opposite is true.

HTH

PS. if you do not have the function on your tr, then you could always resort to using mechanical offset of the servo horns to provide permanent differential, like wot we did do have to in the good 'ol days m8

Hi Timbo, nice to chat with you, as I have said, my gear is the Futaba 6exa set. I actually have used the flapperon mode on my ARC Ready, and although it slowed the aicraft down considerably, I also lost a lot of aileron movement.  I put things back as they were, and resolved to build my Ready a new wing with seperate flaps, and that would solve the fast landings symptoms.

With the ready wing, it seems that the control horns are already made to be angling forwards, so in effect giving more up than down, so no problems there. It's just that I do not think that I am getting the most out of this gear, but I can not find any mention of "differential", anywhere in the manual.

I do still tend to refer to my old radio control book that I have had for " God knows how long" and set the differential mechanically. I will have to try what you suggest.

And just as an aside, I am an old "mode1" flyer, my first bird was a " Super Sixty" and I used a Macregor 2 channel radio set with push buttons and wind up rubber driven escapements. I didnt have a throttle in those days. We were advised to fit the propeller the other way around to reduce the thrust, and not put too much fuel in the tank for the first few flights until things were trimmed out.

How about that then, all you Mode2 junkies.????

I think the best thing that I can do, is to ring up Ripmax on monday and pick their brains, providing of course that they are au fait with these sets.

Still, you have given me food for thought, will have to have a good think over the weekend, and another look through the manual.

Thanks again. Much appreciated. Tony.

Hi David,  I wish I had waited a bit longer before buying my 6exa gear, it may be page 20 in your book but it's page 13 in my 6exa book.

I can get into the flaperon programme ok, so are you saying that I can set servo travel in this mode, but ignore the flap function that I also get from this mix?????. I can always give it a try.

I thought that computer radios were supposed to make things easier, not demand a degree in Rocket science.......DOH!!!!!!!!Whats a wrinkly to do about all of this.???

I think you are correct David, I will probably forget flaps for a while until I build a new wing for the Ready, but it is a slippy aircraft on approach and does not seem to want to slow down at times, but the flaps make it a different aircraft, especially when it gets into "ground effect". it just floats about a foot off the floor until you cut the throttle, and then down it sits without a bounce.

Thanks for all of the advice,I will sit back now and read all of the other ideas coming in, especially the answers to Doug Ireland's problem.

Hi Doug, no problems. I have a couple of jobs on the back burner, for next year. I specifically wanted to use flap function, but without the problems of decreased aileron movement, as was the case using the flaperon function.

I am going to go with separate flaps, using an high torque servo, in case of blow back on the flap surface, and I am going to obtain aileron differential mechanically, as I have nearly always done in the past.

Now here's a thought, " if adverse yaw is a problem caused by the down going aileron ", why do we then have to have ailerons working in tandem.????.

Would the aileron effect, (which after all is only used to raise or lower each wing,) be any the less effective, if only one aileron moved up to obtain the angle of bank that we require to initiate the turn.

I think I had better go and put the kettle on, make a drink, and then go and do some "balsa bashing"

Happy landings........Tony...alias...Handyman.

Hi Jetsome, I think that I am going to have to go out to my nearest "Ship's chandlers" and get me a lifejacket.

I am sure that I am slowly drifting out of my depth with this flaps versus aileron topic.

Mind you, it's good to know that other people have similar sorts of problems. At this moment in time, I am struggling to build a "Burt Rutan" Longeze for ( elec***c power,) or is this a taboo subject.

I am an engine fella through and through, but I thought I should at least dabble my feet in the water, and give it a try.

Happy landings.!..