DISCUS-CS GLIDER

Hi Chaps, I have a Jamara? Discus CS glider that was given to me a while ago (lucky me), but it did not come with any wing joiners. Having looked at various sites on the web, it has 3 joiners, the center one 6 mm, either carbon, aluminium or steel rod, but no info on the other two.

Could anyone advise on what the best joiners to use are and the sizes required,ie length and diameter. Or I suppose, where I might get a set.

Any / all advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited By Dave M on 20/11/2011 11:16:44

Advert

I don't know the model / specific size but can share some experience. A few years back two of us bought Purbeck Sailplanes Graffiti's which came with both steel and Carbon joiners. We started with the Carbon ones but after several months of agressive flying both of them developed cracks at the point of the wing / fuselage join. Needless to say they were binned and we used the steel ones from then on.

There is a solid carbon rod, 6 x 600mm and 2 steel wires (piano wire) 2,6 x 170mm.
There are no cracks or whatever problem with the wing joiners. The weak point is the fuselage which is quite brittle and therefore easy to break - a faster landing and you have easily a crack.
Cheers VA

Weight is no problem - I had to put quite a bit of lead into the nose - so if you do the reinforcement it will not lead to a problem. Where was the problem: bottom in the area of the cannopy. So best would be to put some glass fabric into the fuselage before or together at the same time as fitting the servo and the receiver board. Cheers VA

Posted by Devon Flyer on 21/11/2011 18:13:10:
Posted by Dave M on 20/11/2011 10:51:00:
Hi Chaps, I have a Jamara? Discus CS glider that was given to me a while ago

You've been keeping that one quiet Dave !

I'll dig me DG1000 out and we can have some combat.

yep, it 's been gathering dust, but its important to get these things out so that when the accountant see's it, she doesn't think I've bought myself an early Christmas Prezzie and I miss the chance of another new toy in a few weeks time!!

Not too sure about combat tho

Edited By Dave M on 22/11/2011 18:22:50

My preference would always be for a carbon rod over steel. Steel can be substituted for carbon when extra ballast is required. The main reason is that carbon has excellent energy absorbing properties, on an impact, the rod will break and save your plane. I know I have nosed in from height and done nothing except broke the carbon rod. Carbon is a model saver. Not even mentioning tje lower AUW your plane will have.

If the carbon rod is within spec of what you intend to do with the plane, there is no reason why it should break in flight, carbon is excellent except under shear stress(during impact). Of course with carbon you need to ensure there are no cracks or the strength will be substantially reduced, then in flight forces may break it.