4 Stroking 2 strokes

BB

Being that 2 strokes are that much cheaper than a nice sounding 4 strokes. Often with a new 2 stroke engine manual is the news that in running in, one should 4 stroke the engine for a while.

While I know this method riches and beds in some engines by lowering top end rpm and increasing low end torque.

Has anyone purposely induced 4 stroking via a 2 stroke? Putting up with the 50/100 power loss and having a sound flight. In a scale plane.

Asking because of the pro-hibative, for some, of a decent four stroke against a decent 2 stroke.

Q: Is the way to go (against fuel consumption, prices etc..) I.E. are back to basics the way to before going to Petrol/Electric.

I apprecciate All input. I am aware of the multi-question ... And answer to this seemingly simple question.

Thanks BB.

(mods - may need moving to 'Engines / I.C. etc)

Edited By BB on 01/12/2011 15:03:00

Advert

A 4 stroking 2 stroke doesn't sound good to me...it sounds like its running rough....because it is!!!

The basic idea behind running in a 2 stroke by making it 4 stroke is to get extra fuel & hence oil through the engine....the fuel evaporates taking heat with it whilst deposting the oil onto the working surfaces. (Not to be used with "ringless" engines by the way)

To do this you need to run the engine very rich so it effectively misfires every other stroke & this means that when it does fire it won't produce much power....it will also be highly unstable in flight & prone to stopping...

So...a bad idea in my opinion....any money you save by not buying a 4 stroke will quickly be spent on repairs & new models to replace the ones you crash due to your 4 stroking 2 stroke stopping in flight.....

Take a look at the SC & ASP range of 4 strokes...excellent budget engines.....& not that much more expensive than a 2 stroke...

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 01/12/2011 15:15:05:
A 4 stroking 2 stroke doesn't sound good to me...it sounds like its running rough....because it is!!!

The basic idea behind running in a 2 stroke by making it 4 stroke is to get extra fuel & hence oil through the engine....the fuel evaporates taking heat with it whilst deposting the oil onto the working surfaces. (Not to be used with "ringless" engines by the way)

To do this you need to run the engine very rich so it effectively misfires every other stroke & this means that when it does fire it won't produce much power....it will also be highly unstable in flight & prone to stopping...

So...a bad idea in my opinion....any money you save by not buying a 4 stroke will quickly be spent on repairs & new models to replace the ones you crash due to your 4 stroking 2 stroke stopping in flight.....

Take a look at the SC & ASP range of 4 strokes...excellent budget engines.....& not that much more expensive than a 2 stroke...
Agreed. But still am seeking ppl that carry out this kind of operation, as its an agreed secondrly operation of a 2 stroke engine etc..

BB

I'm not sure what you mean BB by "...its an agreed secondrly operation of a 2 stroke engine.."

The only way to get a 2 stroke to "4" stroke is to have it mis-fire every other stroke & this really isn't the way to get the best from an engine!!!

Control Line aerobatic pilots used to set their engines up so they were very rich in the circuit & "4 stroked" but when the nose was pointed upwards they leaned out & 2 stroked cleanly with a consequent increase in power & pulled the model through the loop or wingover or whatever.....

Just to add to Steves comment a 4 stroking 2 stroke has a simply appalling fuel consumption for the power produced,
First it is running very rich to make it misfire and then every other stroke the fuel is simply blown unburnt straight out of the exhaust!

The particular sound of a true 4 stroke is largely due to rate at which the exhaust valve is opened.
A 2 stroke exhaust port is created by the piston and releases the exhaust very quickly over a short period.
A 2 stroke '4 stroking' will still produce the same sort of 2 stoke sound but only half as often!