Petrol Head turning to Electric

Hi Steve,

Lucky escape foam aint the best but it sometimes flies well !!
I'm in a similar position to you and wanting to get in the air quickly I have ordered a Calmato as recommended by Tim Hooper earlier in this thread.
The other one I quite liked the look of was the Seagull E Pioneer, may be worth a look at these as an all wood alt.
Also found a web site for a kit of the Telemaster called http://www.telemastersalesuk.co.uk/
They have kits and plans of well tried trainers.
Good luck and keep posting as to what you finally decide please.

SW

Advert

Hi Steve W (could get confusing without the W! ), I liked the look of the Calmato when Tim Hooper recommended it and after a bit more thinking have now order one! Went for the blue though, apparently there is a red version available but being a loyal Pompey supporter for over 30 years there is no way I could entertain a red and white stripey plane - the colours of our bitter rivals!

I would have liked a kit, but as mentioned in a few posts before, I have a few frames already built, two of which were from scratch, so I will use them once I get the flying knack back again.

Ordering radio gear tomorrow, going down the entry level for the moment until I am happy with it all and then upgrade later.

We will be able to compare notes !
BTW are you aware there are two versions of the electric Calmato? The old and the new. Tim is talking about the new one which is Kyosho part number 10051, two servos in the wing and the battery hatch on the top.
(The old version is part number 10050 and normally £20-ish cheaper)

Yep, it's the 10051 version - http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=30597 and I got it for £122.50 inc.

I'm shopping around for the radio eq, was going to order it tomorrow but as I'm installing a new boiler I'll leave it until next week. Some good deals out there but one or two are very limited, one in particular has only a max range of 100metres, so staying well away from that! Used to have Futaba, might yet head back that way or go for Hi-Tec.

Kit arrived today, got to say I'm highly impressed with the quality of it and already getting excited at the prospect of taking to the air again!

One point that concerns me after reading some of the posts prior to this regarding interference from extended battery to ESC is would the same issues arise when using servo extension leads? The reason I ask is that the resistance would increase of course due to the longer length of lead, and therefore cause the problems discussed by John Cole, or is this purely an ESC to battery problem?

That said, my radio is Hitec Optic 2.4GHz anyway...

Got to say, highly satisfied with the recommendations by Tim Hooper about the kit needed; all arrived and plane now almost ready (i'm taking my time so I can drag out the evenings doing something worthwhile!!).

The only thing I have noticed is that the pushrods/snakes for the elevator and rudder appear to be a lot more stiffer than I remember them being? Ok, it was 20 years ago, but my memory hasn't faltered that badly and iirc the movement was smooth and quite easy, putting little or no strain on the servos.

Anyone else found this when/if they built the Calmato?I've removed the steerable nosewheel for now, gone for a fixed one until I get used to flying again - i'll reinstate it once I have mastered landings again!

Gone for a Hitec Optic 6 combo at 2.4GHz system, very low I know but since I've had to re-start from scratch I preferred going low end first, I can always upgrade later when I'm back in the flow of things.

Edited By Steve Cornell on 11/01/2012 12:41:57

Hi Steve,
I've personally experienced no interference using servo extension cables
in electric models but I have had problems with poor quality connectors
fitted to cheapo ones - buy good quality cables & secure the connectors
together with tape, string or those purpose-designed clips.

I haven't built a Calmato but if the snakes are stiff it's worthwhile trying
to sort out the problem. It could be that the clevis is binding in the hole
in the control surface horn - I had this problem recently & fixed it simply
by enlarging the hole a little.
Disconnect the clevis & see if the snake frees up - something worth trying.

Cheers

With respect to extension leads. Also as a returning modeller of some 7 years now, there does seem to be quite a change in opinion. It used to be argued that long servo leads were a no-no. Te reasons being given, were interference and loss of power. Now most models use extension leads, particularly foam kits and many modern ARTF models.

I use extension leads all the time now, without any issues whats so ever.

The other ongoing change, is a trend to do away with long push rods and placing the servo close to the surface to be moved, using a very short pushrods.

Not many new young modellers will push old fashioned pus rods, which tended to be heavy and strong, or light and flexible. Heavy and strong, can destroy gear trains and have inertial issues with fine control and the flexible, loosing motion and hence precision.

Most in the club of which I am a remember will more often than not use a snake, in preference to a long pushrod.

As to the Hitec, the price seems very modest for what appears to be a capable radio. You can always pay more and get much the same.

Thanks Richard and Erfolg, however I have taken the precaution of giving up a couple of grams by adding a couple of graphite rings around the leads near the Rx, hopefully might reduce any possible problems, but I also gather the 2.4GHz standard doesn't have any issues with such problems anyway.

As for the pushrods; I'd already checked the clevis and horn movement, they are nice and smooth with no resistance at all, the problem appears to be the metal pushrod running inside the sleeve. I might try a very thin smear of silicon lubricant on the rod and see if that makes any difference. Will let you know what I find.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Steve C,

Got mine yesterday so I've been working on it today and got most of the fus done.
Got a bit of a deal on some new 3s 2550 (50C) Flightpower batteries so I got 4 with the intention of running them as paralleled pairs (they fit easily) giving me 5100 capacity. Got to get some leads made up for both the charging and the balancing.
Is yours flying yet?

Hi Steve W,

Yep, all built and tested. Only problem where I am is there is nowhere to fly other than a very large park which is mostly used by dog walkers. I do however live a few minutes away from the airfield where Top Gear (amongst others) is filmed and was able to persuade the security there that I was only going to taxi and do a couple of low level practice flights; as there was next to nothing happening that morning, he was quite happy to let me, provided I stayed in his sight.

After completing all pre-flight checks and range checks, I connected the battery again and carried out a few taxis just to get used to using the tranny again and familiarising myself with the responses. After around ten minutes, I brought it back in and changed the battery for a fresh one, preparing for the maiden flight. As I say, it was nothing special as such, the idea was just to see her leave the ground for a few minutes and bring her back home. There was no air traffic whatsoever, so I went for it and despite me taking a couple of attempts to get airborne, the excitement and thrill was back, and as people have said even though I've been out of it for over 20 years, you don't forget and it does come back to you.

The only thing did find is that I am of course 20 years older, and whilst I'm still only 51 my reactions were a tad slower than than were all those years ago and my judgement a little off as far as speed is concerned. A couple of hard landings eventually took it's toll and it veered off to the left and caught the lead edge of the wing on an old tyre laying nearby; probably one of Stig's! Damage was only minimal, easily sorted, but it didn't take the big grin off my face when carrying it back to the car to head home.

Very pleased with the overall result, but need to find a club near me to get more flying time in as I cannot rely on the goodwill of a security guard all the time and I don't really want to fly in a dog infested park full of cr*p which will ultimately get all over my airframe. The nearest club to me is Aldershot, but they apparently fly from Basingstoke, some 45 mins from me and that's on a good, clear, early Sunday morning! There is a purpose built strip apparently near Guildford in a place called Normandy, but it is kept so secret that only a handful of people know about it. Surrey is a funny old place, all full of posers with Discoverys towing yachts, even though the sea is over 50 miles away - told you they were posers

Steve

I do not think it is only Surrey.

When my daughter lived in Aberdeen, it is also full of people with Fly Rods (so I am told) driving around with them on top of the Range Rovers etc. Yet I did not remember seeing a single poser in Inverness when she lived there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bit more flying done now, maybe 10 flights in all.

Must say I'm impressed with the Calmato as it flies well but not sure if it's really a "trainer" as such.

Does nice neg G manoeuvres and will do big outside loops from level inverted flight ! Power seems well matched, will climb out a good speed at 45 degrees, or more. Slows down well and lands nose up on the rear wheels first. Yes it's a nice aeroplane so thanks for the original recommendation by Tim H earlier in this thread.

Wings still held together as per the instructions, i.e. no glue and all is well--------------so far!