Flair Spectrum - ABS safe??

simi_av8r

Hi All,

Santa brought me a Thunder Tiger 'Ready' mk3 for Christmas, and i'm really not impressed by the decal sheet design included with it so would like to spray paint it in my own design but i need some advice.

The model is injection moulded ABS plastic, and i assume, would need priming first and then after applying my design (using acrylic spray paints) it would need fuel proofing against the 10% nitro fuel i use (Model Technics Formula Irvine)...

I've use Flair Spectrum Primer before, but only on my balsa models so have no idea if this stuff this stuff is ABS safe? The website says i'ts not fuel resistant but wont need to be as it'll be covered by the design and fuel proofing spray.

On that note, Flair also do various Fuel Proofing sprays in different finishes (matt/satin/gloss) but the website doesn't say if these are ABS safe or safe for use over an acrylic base, nor does Flair seem to have an email address for me to ask directly.

Does anybody here have any info regarding my querys above - can i safely use Flair Spectrum products on an ABS plastic fuselage without and make it fuel proof in doing so?

Advert

The Ready, if I recall, is not ABS but a type of Polythene plastic, thick and slick to feel.
The paints should be fine to use, just key and prime with a general automotive primer first.
I use the Spectrum paints on ABS, which is thin brittle plastic, and it is fine, even with thinners added, and sprayed straight on it has been fuel resistant on anything I have sprayed. Just let it cure for a week or so.

Darryl

Edited By Djay on 04/01/2012 13:07:32

thanks chaps,

i've checked the original box, instructions and the thunder tiger website and all of them suggest that it is of "fully blow-moulded ABS construction".

i'll have a go with keying it up and priming with an automotive primer - would a 340 grit wet 'n' dry sanding sheet be too much?

My Ready 2 was painted with 'Plasticote' from B&Q ( see my album). Also available from Wilkinsons.
A light rub down with 600 wet n dry wasall the preparation
The finish seemed to be reasonably fuel (10%) resistant without any extra fuel proofer,
when cleaning the model after flying the cleaning cloth showed slight colour transfer.
With my standard of flying at the time the finish outlasted the model

• 7 months later...

Hi , I have a thunder tiger ready mk3 with which i have been very pleased , unfortunatelyone of the aileron horns got broken due to the wing twisting round an landing at edge of runway , Does any one know where i might obtain some replacements , this is the only damage to an otherwise great little plane ,

Thanks

Chris .