New Seagull Harmon Rocket III V.2

Well after a few ermm niggles....here she is
Found another niggle, while trying to put right wing on...it wouldnt go on, after 1 and a bit hours of head scratching talking to Jperkins and Swindon Model shop (cheers for all help) i finally got wing on. Why wouldnt it go on straight away, well i dunno. Would only go in so far then 'jam' leaving a 5 mm gap hmmmm, made sure Ikea fixing was wide open and tried again n again and again, switched couplings around as the left wing slotted in perfectly, still no joy....checked length of wing joiner, yep spot on so thats not jamming it....finally after taking out wing joiner and 'wiggling' left wing, in it went, so i then put wing joiner in and tightened up Ikea fixing, left wing straight on no problems. Why it wont work with wing joiner in right wing to start with i really dont know, least i can put wing on now and secure both of them.....another design flaw/problem/not thought out application? Who knows!

head on pic....think i lined up spinner and cowl pretty damn well, even if i say so myself!

Awww its got a cheeky lil smile

I feel sick, turn me the right way up....balanced perfectly at 75mm (no fuel)

Beautiful cowl but then again it does as David said gives lots of cooling!

Cant see it too well, but i reckon the Pitts style exhaust looks goooood.

Well thats her all done. Lovely day here apart from freezing cold and a very stiff breeeze, so no maiden today...maybe tomorrow, BUT i wont rush into it, dont want a bag of balsa.
Final thoughts on build:
1)Well put together wings, fuselage etc
2)Well made ancillaries
3)Instructions i would say are ok to a point, lousy pics in black and white, come on Seagull, colour is better!
4)Seagull really need to check their designs carefully, cockpit/tank interaction. Wing joining system, not sure i like Ikea fixings to be honest

Overall tho i am impressed at what you get for yer money (£119)...

One final note, MODEL SHOPS (not all of them) try and be a bit more helpful than, nahh sorry aint built one or we dont stock em!! oh really so me clicking on buy on YOUR website means i bought it from the Man in the Moon, but you kept the money...way to go Sussex Models!

Edited By Mark Rowse on 01/02/2012 12:41:45

Advert

Hi all.....just weighed..in bits as my scales wont handle everything at once.
It comes out at 2.8Kg...which accoring to the instructions is the lower weight, upper weight is 2.9kg...so kinda happy with that

Hows your Rocket coming along Gary? Still going leccy?

Hi Gary, will be using the low rates.......but have full rates also programmed in. Maiden for me is just to get height and do any trimming required then land.....if needed i will adjust the low rates to increase throws, but dont go near high rates until i have about 8 flights and i feel comfortable.
Hoping to maiden this weekend

Edited By Mark Rowse on 06/02/2012 18:50:23

Then there was the cowl as mike said how do you fit it ?
Well followed mikes advise and rubbed down the inside of the cowl this made it go a little further just a gentle push and CRUNCH |||| the cowl split AHHHHHHH

OK so now had to cut 6mm of the cowl all round

no room for error but its OK

Then fitted it back PERFECT

Hi Guys

I now have all the parts for the Rockett so will be putting it together in the next few days !

Tru- Turn Ultimate ally electric spinner including prop adaptor and cut to fit my prop.

(Thanks Amanda Tru-turn spinners America )

A swept back undercarriage in fibreglass colour white (Thanks lads carbon copy )

16 x 8 electric prop XOAR in white with red tips

2 x Lipo 3S 3500 25C in series giving me 22.1v

Outrunner motor Constant Watts 1600

Futaba 3003 servos all round .

Unfortunately no it dint come near to the Harmon Rocket for me.I was never confident with the landing of it.I loved flying it but never managed to balance getting it slown down enoughth to land satisfactoriuly.It took forever to lose the speed.Looked fantastic in the air and really superb to fly,but the under carriage was weak and difficult to get at on the ouside and it took a bit of time to get it strong enough,but it often bounced on landing and sometimes went into a cartwheel the I never managed to learn how to prevent.The Harmon Rocket had no such vices and gave me bundles of confidence and a thoroughly enjoyable year of trouble free flying loved it and miss it.

Over Christmas 2010 I did a lot of flying and was flying the Rocket when someone drove up behind me shouting at me.I decided I should land and find out what he wanted.We fly deep in the back of a farm so visitors are few,and people driving into the field very rare.I was halfway round a circuit and came across diagonally to bring it round to land.We fly the far side of trees and I hit the top of the highest tree ,about a little over 40 feet up and the Rocket was destroyed.The fuselage landed in a stream,the tank and cowl floated away,the engine was laying in the middle of the stream ,the fuselage to the side,and the wings or what was left of them were at the top of the tree.With that I turned to the culprit and he said he didnt think I was that low and drove away.It took until dusk to retrieve what was left.