Crane Fly Trainer Autogyro

Tom Wright  2

Advert

I did look at the photos of the head and wonder why there was only one supporting plate? Or have I missed something else.

I need to get a check in the post to you Tom, thanks for the bits.

I considered using this little gearbox, which I actually bought for another build.

Was just going to fit a collet style prop nut on the top and job done. Will follow your lead Tom, but thought this might be of interest. Can dig out where I bought it from if it's of interest.

No progress on mine, might get a bit done at the weekend, maybe. Could I ask for a sneak shot of how the servos orientate in those bearers, so I can check a few things before glueing in place.

Cheers,
Simon

Edited By simon burch on 12/01/2012 22:35:01

The two bearing can now be loaded into the top of the housing ,and the spacer fitted to the opposite side .
Tighten the grub screws in the housing and spacer.
This completes the flapper plate, housing ,bearings, and spacer assembly ready for bolting to the control head with a 3mm bolt.

Side view photo to follow.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 12/01/2012 23:20:21

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 12/01/2012 23:23:41

Hi Simon.
If you have the spacer the correct way up the face is machined to run against the center bearing ring .The top of the 3mm machine bolt does the same on the top bearing.The inner bearing ring remains stationary and the head turns on the outer ring.The result is very free running .
The answer to your last question has already been posted the part used as the spacer comes with the shaft which is not used .
Tom.

Tom, really enjoying watching the progress on this build. Hope to get mine started in the next few days.

Thanks for putting my name on the 'waiting list' for your parts

Malcolm

Our cam man Stuart was at the field today and got this footage of Pete's new pusher design which under the covers has several "Crane Fly" features.
My first carbon prototype version of the the "Crane Fly"is seen in the second half.
It was a great afternoons flying Fred and Stuart both flew my model ,but its hands off Pete's Snoopy at the moment as its his new baby,mind you later in the day he did hand the TX over to me and I can confirm its a very easy to fly model.

Both looking really good. I assume I've got some nice tear drop shaped fuz sides to add to mine at some point?

Was thinking of adding a rudder on a closed loop, but the model doesnt seem to need much of a drive around on the floor to get the head spinning.

Not done anything on mine as this weekend has been spent flying my heli's, getting some fresh air and trying not to think about work.

Need to get in the shed and knock out the 1/8 ply parts so I can crack on with the head.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon
A rudder can be very usefull ,but ground steering is not a issue even in dead calm weather ,a bit of breeze and models like the Crane Fly are off in a trice.

Rotor turns can be very flat if the elevator is used correctly ,a rudder allows pirouette style turns, but I would suggest the model is flown as is, and a rudder added when the pilot is really comfortable with flying such machines.The same applies to the teardrop sides add them after test flying and full familiarisation, after all its one more thing to mend if things don't go well at the trimming or getting used to the characteristics stage.

Tom.

Before anyone starts fitting the bearings and housing to the flapper tri plate I am just about to consider a change to the assembly that will avoid fixing the bearings with thread lock or cyno and reduce the obstructions on top of the flapper plate .
This further reduces the chance of damage due to repeated blade strikes.

Strangely an ultra simple alternative is staring me in the face in that the spacer component could be used as a plain bearing as it comes with a flanged top and wide nut ,so it could be placed through the flapper plate central hole and fixed with the nut underneath job done.

I have flown plain bearings without a problem but would prefer to post a simple twin bearing set up as this is the norm.Will post an update when the flange bearings arrive.

Tom.