Maidened my 1st Winter Project

This is my first attempt at designing and building an International One Meter RC racing yacht. Yesterday was the first time she had sailed and she was really well balanced especially considering the blustery conditions. Hopefully Sunday she'll have her first race and we'll see how fast she is compared to more seasoned and traditional designs.If you are interested in the build then it has been documented on my blog;
soaring-sailing.blogspot.com
Edited By FWAL on 06/01/2012 17:24:29

Edited By FWAL on 06/01/2012 17:25:42

Advert

Posted by Tim Mackey on 06/01/2012 17:48:08:
You sort of qualified this post in the sub title so Ill let you off
Very nice incidentally.

Thanks Tim

I know it's a bit of cheek but I am committed, obsessed with gliders too and it did make a change from building aeroplanes. as I don't do mouldies!
My next project which has already started is a 44" lightweight, totally symmetrical section, high aspect ratio, flying wing. I also have a Topaz II partially completed which I (WILL) finish this year.

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 06/01/2012 18:31:01:
That was interesting to watch,and was it your skill that prevented it from tipping over.also what stops the sails from just being blown right round are there string ties hiolding them interesting diversion thanks

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 06/01/2012 18:31:34

Hi Stephen

There's exactly 2500g of ballast in the bulb on the fin/keel this prevents the boat from capsizing but not broaching. The sails are controlled by a servo which rotates a 30mm diameter drum up to 3 times so you can pull the sails in tight to go towards the wind and let them fully out when the wind is from behind the boat. These winch servo's cost anything between £35 and £135, some people use a standard high torque servo and a long lever and pulley's to control the sails. Any servo with more than 4.5kg/cm of torque is suitable for the rudder. Normally you'd have three rigs (suits of sails) to choose from depending on the wind strength with the largest being 0.6m2 and every IOM must weigh at least 4kg, I have to add 50g of corrector weights to my boat, a professionally built boat might require up to 300g of corrector weight. From the bottom of the fin to mast head is in excess of 2m high. Like gliders IOM costs vary from a couple of hundred pounds to a max of around £2000 other Classes of larger yacht and the costs are higher.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Andy
Primer has both won and lost some races, the design is OK a little tweaky but not a flop. Haven't flown much recently but that will change soon, most of my models are all ready to go.
I'll get plenty of practice and take a few vids of the action before your next visit . What's with the avatar?