Airspeed Courier - Tim Hooper's 1930's Classic Mini Airliner

Hi Terry
Thanks for your comments. The glazing bars were I thought going to be weaker than I would wish so although I beefed them up the finished item I think is alright.

I have started to experiment with turning up some dummy cylinders. will paint them an antique gold. Fuse I thought needs a hatch to enable screw drivers to get at servos for adj.
Tomorrow will bash on fitting strobe light wiring, fuse has a coat of balso loc so very close to covering it.

Hi Iain,

You're keeping the pressure up aren't you. Lathe too! Hmmmm! Well my cylinders will probably made from what they call 'gain' over here. That's the round flexible tube that all french wiring goes into in the wall - no conduit here! Just got to get the right size.

Back from a good old Brit roast dinner so may be a bit lethargic!

Yesterday I tried to cut the cockpit roof supports from hard sheet balsa from my own stock but kept breaking them across the grain so I went for ply. Before fitting permanently I cut them down a bit further to a thinner profile and also cut to length as required.

Finally yesterday I fitted the front uprights - that was a good time to stop for the night!

This morning dawned beautiful and very cold! The horizontal side bars were added after careful reference to the plan. The fuse height overall is about a 1/4 inch lower than the plan due to the side frames being cut to the plan outline and without any allowance for the 'lean in' towards the roof so some 'on the job' adjustments had to take place.

Also reference to the various photos reveals that, just as there are many variations on the type of cowl, there are also considerable variations in the cockpit and side glass glazing bars. Tim's prototype correctly displays additional vertical bars for that a/c. However some Couriers had similar bars and others had different bars or no extra ones at all. The RAF a/c K4047 appears to have had no additional vertical bars at all so the apertures seem larger. Additionally, when K4047 was in silver pre WWII it seems that the whole of the roof area which makes up the hatch was also glazed. This disappears in the later WWII camouflage photos. Just shows you can't take anything for granted.

So I made a start on the front end. This was the first effort - there were three attempts in all! If you can survive CA fumes you would do well to use it here otherwise patience is the order of the day. I don't like it so I don't use it unlessI have too. You have to 'build' the frame up piece by piece. I collapsed the structure several times and on other occasions I took the structure down because it didn't look right. There are issues with the plan here too. The plan clearly shows a lower bottom front rail which cannot be fitted because in fact the front fuselage has an elliptic profile and not straight. Reference to Tim's build appears to show that he did not fit it either and glazed onto the fuse surface.

Also the next up horizontal bar which meets at the front of the cockpit at the level of planking actually disappears under the planking on the plan side elevation to keep it level on the plan. Obviously it cannot be like that as the glazing wouldn't work. Tim has his resting on the top of the planking. I eventually went half way by sinking it half below the planking with, I hope, enough above the planking to allow the glazing to be fixed to it. I did it this way because otherwise it rose towards the front too much and distorted the look of the rest of the bars. Its all part of building folks!

This picture was of the first attempt with the bottom rail sitting on top of the planking. I removed it and started again!

When it came to the top supports I used the ruler to ensure the roof line was continued.correctly

This was also taken apart!!

More follows........

..........so finally we started to get there!

This is what keeps me sane - the view out of my workshop window! The green tunnels are common here - they are tobacco drying tunnels - yep it's one of their main crops together with maize, sunflowers and walnuts.

I fly my Fun Cub and my powered foamie gliders in the dip after the nearest trees. Everything else is flown at the club.

Et voila! C'est finit! The frame is finished! Done it, got the 'T' shirt. Phew!

Well we can't leave it like that can we!! Scary or wot!

Brilliant Apart from sawing away part of one of the H2 formers.

P/O Fearless is carrying out a damage assessment!

That's all for now - going to have a lie down in a dark room.

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 29/01/2012 20:12:58

Edited By Terry Walters on 29/01/2012 20:14:26

Hi Terry thanks for your comments, I've just come inside from painting the cylinders (copper) we'll see how that looks may change to silver.

Will secure the cowl using cocktail sticks through the outer ng and into the top of every other cylinder. Should make for a strong structure.

I can also still get the motor hatches out for motor removal too.

Fabulous work guys!

Terry, it's a given that them glazing bars are going to be a bit of a fiddle to make, but you've done a grand job on them! As every model is going to turn out slightly different, it's very hard to standardise the detail work involved inthe original design. I don't have my own Courier her to check, but I may have curved a short length of 1/16 square strip on top of the rear edge of the planking, to make a land for the acetate to sit on. Seems reasonable.

Iain, your engine looks great - far less clumsy than the plastic conduit I used.

tim

Ok - glazing bars done and feel good about that - like a challenge and it's sorted! Don't be put off by it after all when you've done it you will be prepared to do other similar jobs that you might otherwise have decided were not for you.

After a thinking day yesterday and regretting not having a lathe I got stuck into the cowl. Now - on the a/c I am representing there is an extra long straight cowl so I decided to make the cowl front block from balsa and venture for the first time into the world of lithoplate sculpture for the body of it. No cheapie flower pot for this one!

First SWMBO lent me her adjustable foam cutter to mark out the outline of the front cowl block 3 times onto the sheet balsa I had butt jointed earlier to make up the correct width:

The foam cutter works well to mark out circular shapes but I didn't have the bottle to test it for actually cutting right through the balsa (I don't have anywhere else to go!)

I then cut the balsa sheet roughly into 3 circles and spread aliphatic glue evenly across 2 of the surfaces put them together and carefully placed a 12v gel battery on top while they dried.

Whilst that was drying I tidied up the glazing bars by sanding as appropriate to the angles of the glazing.

Then I started on the litho! I worked out the approx length of the cowl from the photo and taped a metal length to the litho at the right depth and scored it deeply with a stanley knife.

I then flexed the strip until it parted along the score line. This is fairly easy to do and some complex shapes and curves can be cut like this if you are patient.

Just like that ha ha!

Fun over! Now back to the cowl block.........

Edited By Terry Walters on 31/01/2012 19:49:02

............. it needs a bit of work!

The extent of the required aperture was then marked out.

A starter hole was drilled and the block put onto the reciprocating saw and the centre cut out. Not perfect but a good start!

Then some free hand shaping with a Dremel cylinder sanding disc and in particular a rebate was cut behind the front edge to give shape and realism. The line between the outer ring and the inner two rings was used to guide the shaping. Call me Dusty!

The reverse......

Then the litho was wrapped round and held with an elastic band to check for fit:

P/O Fearless was checking that the work was being done properly:

I then decided (yes I was making it up as I did it!) to put a plate across the litho join and this went rather well! The pieces are not fixed together yet as i have to decide on cowl fixings and the 7 cylinders to make and fix. Looks neat doesn't it?

Trial fitting - how about that - Terry's a happy man tonight!

But as they say - tomorrow is another day................................

Terry

Posted by Tim Hooper on 01/02/2012 09:11:41:
Ooooh......shiny!

Are you going to leave the cowl in it's ali finish?

tim
The only photo of K4047 in camouflage that I can find, which is on the first page of this thread seems to show the cowl in bare metal and also the panels on top of the fuse before the cockpit are the same. It could be that it's a light colour, say yellow(?) or another colour but 'shiny' doesn't seem to be right with 'cammo' does it?

Terry

Here's a bit more info from the British Aircraft of WWII site:

"Courier K4047, used at the RAE, crashed July 14, 1943.

AIRSPEED AS. 5 COURIER - One example of this six-seat light aircraft, designed by A Hessell Tiltman and first flown at Portsmouth on April 10, 1933, acquired by Air Ministry in February 1934, with 360 hp Cheetah IX, and used at RAE Farnborough (as K4047) until 1943. Nine Airspeed Couriers with 240 hp Lynx IVc engines impressed in 1939 for use by National Air Communications unit, later assigned to ATA station comm flights."

So does anyone have any idea as to whether NACU or ATA a/c had any high vis colours added for ID purposes?

Terry

There's even a bit more here!:

13 AS.5A Courier To A&AEE as K4047 4.2.34 [or 9.2.34] [under Contract No.276131/33].
To RAE Farnborough 27.2.34 for landing gear research.
To Airspeeds for modifications 5.5.34; returned to A&AEE 28.5.34 [handling trials] and RAE 11.6.34 [automatic controls].
To HQ Fighting Area, Duxford for research 21.11.34.
To Airspeeds 4.12.34 and to RAE 30.12.34 [auto control tests].
To Airspeeds 21.10.35 and returned to RAE 26.10.35 for flap research, later gunnery research.
To Airspeeds 11.2.38 and fitted with AS Cheetah IX.
To RAE 30.6.38 for trials & training; later boundary layer research. Later used as
communications aircraft.
Damaged & soc 14.7.43.

Hello

Great work Terry & Iain, I am envious of your rates of progress. My only excuse is that mine is a kitchen table build which makes things a bit more time consuming. That said, I am enjoying the building process irrespective of my slowness .

I am currently in the throes of sanding and shaping the upper nose planking. That should be finished tonight & then I can get on with the upper fuselage sides and the remainder of the cabin /removable hatch.

Terry, where did you source your litho plate? Any ideas about a UK supplier? I might use 0.5mm aluminium or possibly 1/64th ply on my cowl - it will still be a few more days before I am at that point.

Keep the blog & photos coming, I am finding it all intersting & informative.

Cheers,
John

Posted by John Roberts 9 on 01/02/2012 18:20:39:

Terry, where did you source your litho plate? Any ideas about a UK supplier? I might use 0.5mm aluminium or possibly 1/64th ply on my cowl - it will still be a few more days before I am at that point.

Keep the blog & photos coming, I am finding it all intersting & informative.

Cheers,
John

Hi John,

Got a pack of 50 sheets off ebay over a year ago - can't remember where from but it was a one off sale of several packs. Need to keep your eye open for the stuff and just get it while you can. I would willingly give you a sheet or two but I live in France. What part of the UK you in?

Terry

Aside from just a final bit of finishing when the hatch is finally sawn free, the upper planking is now complete.

This shows the planks pinned to the building board and given the water treatment to help them take a nice curve.

Then the planks at about the halway stage.

And then the finished product.

More fuselage work tomorrow.

Cheers,
John

Well done John - you are now a 'planker' too!

Hi all other Courier followers!  I was just watching the BBC4 programme "How the British Took to the Air" and what did we get a glimpse of? That's right two quick movie film clips of G-ABXN one of which concerned the world first re-fuelling in mid air exercise! Amazing! For you in the UK you should be able to view it on iplayer.

All I did today was a bit more thinking and also proved Tim right by getting my chubby hands inside to drill pilot holes and screw in the rudder and elevator servos.

The main thinking bit was about the fuselage in front of the cockpit. On looking really hard at the various photos I began to understand the challenge I have foreseen in fixing the lowest panel of glazing which runs diagonally acoss the front of the cockpit. On the build the panel immediately in front of the cockpit is elliptical. On the full size I now realise that the panel was flat and sems to make a striaght ridge on the centre line with the matching panel on the other side. It's also that flat shape that gives the straight flat edge you see on the photos.

Choices:

1. Leave it as it is and make it work

2. Remove the planking from the hatch only and work some 1/16th or 1/32 ply from the curve H2 to a straight edge by the cockpit to facilitate a better look and easier glazing.

Hmmmmmmm? How long did it take me to do the planking.

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 01/02/2012 21:22:18

Hi all,
Tremendous progress from everyone,very little done up here, too much work and the heating has failed in the shed,( It is -5c outside.)
Terry, this is how I did the lower screen valance,

The photo is not that clear, I cut a curved piece of 3/16 sheet and laid it on the back of the hatch planking then filed it to shape, final tweaking will take place when I start the glazing bars.

Here is a shot of a AS Lynx for those who suffer detailitis, Terry , the cheetah fitted to Kilo 4047 is just a beefed up version.

Cheers from the frozen North , James.

Posted by Highlander on 02/02/2012 10:10:01:
Cheers from the frozen North , James.

Hi James thanks for that - I think that's probably the better option and certainly worth a try!

'Frozen North? It's snowing here in the middle of SW France and it's -5C here too!!

Actually tomorrow it's forecast -11C! I don't get Winter Fuel Allowance as I moved out here before my 60th but our Winter's are every bit as cold as yours as we are in the 'Continental' climate here not 'Mediterranean'! We don't have central heating either and to be honest I don't miss it. We don't heat the parts of the house we don't use and we burn oak logs which keeps us cosy!

Thanks again for the pics.

Terry

Posted by Terry Walters on 01/02/2012 21:21:15:

... two quick movie film clips of G-ABXN one of which concerned the world first re-fuelling in mid air exercise! Amazing! For you in the UK you should be able to view it on iplayer.

Edited By Terry Walters on 01/02/2012 21:22:18

Just watched the programme - absolutley fascinating!

You know that unmentioned Rapide that was so prominent throughout the programme? I've a had a 30 minute flight in that machine. Brilliant!

tim

Well the weather has stopped building progress, today was clear blue sky no wind and even some warmth from the sun. Great flying this afternoon and tomorrow looks as thought I will have to desert the workshop too.

But just in case you all thought I was slackening off the pace here is where I am up too.
Black covering really can show up the imperfections. And I thought I was OK at this building lark !!!