'Windy Ain't It'

Hi Guys,

I think I have done enough to start showing you what I am doing in the Winter Mass Build 2012. It is the first of, hopefully, at least two models, the other being the ubiquitous Super 60. You may glimpse the kit lurking in the background in some of the photos. But please do not expect either a rapid build or a rapid blog.

Windy is described as a semi-scale free flight sports model. Designed by Ron Aarons. I believe in the early fifties. It is roughly the same size as a '60' but rather different looking. I built one over fifty years ago when I was living in S.W. London and was a member of the Richmond and District Club. I never got to fly it as shortly after we moved back to the midlands and I sold it to a clubmate. However, it turned out to be a beautiful flyer needing no adjustments. At least, that is what he told me.

I still have my original plan, but got a new one from Hobbystore. They also sent plans for a larger version. about 72" span. I might do that later. Yes, I have made alterations, particularly to the fuselage, reasons why later. And it will be leccy and covered in Solarfilm.

For now I will just add a couple of photos of the original.

Windy is the big black and orange jobby. No comments, please !!

Alan.

David,

A Senior moment. Yes they are for the Vintage Mass Build but I would not know how to mod this, so will go ahead for now.

I am afraid my colour scheme is worked out and I have my Solarfilm ready. No, it is not the same.

Now I have some pics of the wings to download.

This built exactly per plan but with the addition of 1/16" webbing between the spars

Here you can see the slots for the boxes that will accept the tongues that are built into the fuselage.
Finally for now, a pair of wings (unfinished).I've got to do some photo sorting before I can go on. But now it is lunch. Pork chops !!! Then it's siesta. But I've had a constuctive morning. I've also got my this years trip to the RCHotel fully booked .

Alan.

It's looking good for the wings Allan, there's something about wing boxes and tongues that have that vintage feel of their own. A bit like some of the KK stuff that we built years ago. I'll try to get up to Derby Road when the weather settles down a bit, maybe see you up there.

Cheers,

Chris.

Happy New Year, Chris. I am still trying to psyche myself up to visit the flying field. Trouble is, I am in building mode to the exclusion of most other things.

I did some photo editing yesterday morning but I was horrified to discover I have lost the pics showing the construction of the tongue boxes and wing tips. (It has something to do with transfering stuff from my PC to my new laptop.) So you will have to manage
with these.

So, wings ready for final sanding and covering. Nice shape aren't they ? All those years ago, it was it's appearance that attracted Windy to me and, when I started again those few years back, it went on to my 'must build' list.

Chris. I like the idea that the the tongue and box system has given you a solution to your problem on your Matador. I should add that I have managed a lovely tight fit and, as it will be leccy powered vibration should not be an issue.

Alan.

Hi Allan,

The jobs looking really good so far, keep up the good work.

The super 60 just doesn't seem to be fully thought out with regard to integrity of the structure, 1/4" x 1/16" ply braces just doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to a safety issue on such a large wing area supporting 3lb's upwards.

May be OK for free flight, but with RC interference the flight loads are less predictable in practice and the structure should be re-designed to accommodate such changes.

Any road up you've inspired me to make some common sense changes which I should have thought about myself in the first place if I had my eye on the ball.

Cheers,

Chris.

Right. Yesterday, I virtually finished the fuselage. No, I am not showing it to you yet, but I am rather chuffed with it. For now, it is the tailplane. Look at this first. I know the reproduction is not great but be aware that the original photos were taken over fifty years ago with a box Brownie.

You should be able to see that, very usefully, the stabiliser protrudes from under the fin by a good amount, thus making it quite easy to split off an area for an elevator. You can also just see that there is a rather substantial trim tab that, of course, was easy to extend into a proper rudder. However, I have increased the respective areas by a smidgen. On the original these tailfeathers are removable as a unit, held on with little wire hooks and rubber bands underneath, not visible in the photo. For accuracy, the unit lines up with plugs and tubes. I shall glue mine on permanently, but my next job is to drill for said plugs.

Alan.

So, here is the tailplane set for this version of Windy.

The outlines are virtually identical. As I said before, a tad of extra area on rudder and elevator, so that the areas are very similar to those on the S 60. However, on the original the construction is from 3/16" sheet and square with 1/32" sheeting on the leading edges and capstripping. Thus giving a thickness of 1/4". I have used 1/4" through out and inserted 1/8" x 1/4" diagonals. I am not too bothered about possible weight increase, as there will be a fair load at the front, as you will eventually see, and I may have to add weight at the tail.

I've done the holes and plugs and I am waiting for glue to dry before sanding. But like the other day, it is time for lunch. And then siesta. Did I tell you I took my A Level in Spanish three years ago ? Only a 'C' I'm afraid but not bad for a guy in his seventies. When I have a bit of spare time I read Harry Potter (in Spanish). At the moment it is "... Y El Principe Misterioso " so I only have one more left.

Alan.

Looking very good young man, but whats all this malarkey about reading Harry Potter in Spanish. I think a course of therapy is in order such as building model aeroplanes .

Just had a bling moment aeromodelling should be free from the NHS on prescription for anyone over 60, local pharmacists should have to turn over at least 25% of their floor space to stock modelling materials. Balsa, proper balsa cement made from acetone, dethyl either for making up your own diesel fuel mix, proper dope, celly thinners, banana oil, LOL.

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris,
I wish my bifocals did not cost so much.

Back to Windy. While I have tried to preserve the outline, there are several alterations to the structure. The original fuselage has full length sides from nose to tail of 3/32" sheet alone. There is a very cleverly designed interlocking 1/8" and 3/16" ply engine mount and another for the wing tongues. This latter I have preserved as per, but going electric could not see my way to using any of the former.Here is pic of the area on the plan and you may be able to see my inked in changes.

The main forward bulkhead has been pushed back and the u/c former done away with as I shall be using a two wire u/c as hopefully it will have stand repeated take offs and landings. So my fus sides do not go to the nose and I will make a seperate cowl to fit my motor etc.

I have truncated the sides, still of 3/32", and reinforced them with 1/32" ply doublers (stuck on with impact adhesive (Evostick) ) and 3/16" longerons to absorb the loads from the r/c equipment.

Right, so here we go ready to start assembly.

Those wings dont look very efficient.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 18/01/2012 12:23:35

I have just uploaded some more photos, so I can bore you some more.

I show here some formers. As a F.F. model the formers are plain, but I needed access for the pushrods so all the formers have been modified as the one on the right. The piccy also shows the underfin. Originally of 1/4" sheet, I have made a balsa ply of three 1/8" sheets and it is glued to the ultimate former.

Taking shape.

Servos installed with the Sullivan outers,

Here you can see the platform for the lipo. It should be around the CG position and allow for adjustment. Now I will take a break. Soon be lunch. Stew and a jacket potato .

Cheers.Alan.

Alan build coming along very well, its looking good tip top work

will be watching now i know what the build is.. i watch most builds in the hope i may get some tips from what others are doing..

dont worry about people not commenting i have a Pix-e build going at the moment i have 4 people commenting but there must be other people watching ..

I hope there is anyway

Keep up the good work
Adrian.

Chris B,

Go back to the pictures of the wing tongues and formers. The formers are of 1/8" ply and have 3/16" slots cut into them for a quarter of the width each side and at the dihedral angle. The tongues are of 3/16" ply and have 1/8" wide slots cut in to the same depth.

When assembled dry, you already have a remarkably rigid assembly. After epoxying it together, I decided it was tough enough, but it could always be reinforced with GRP or somesuch. Hope that helps.

Alan.

Hi All,

As I am on the thread, I might as well post some more photos.

Here I have added the top 1/8"square longerons, sanded carefully to the correct angle. Then the 1/16" sheet sides. Not too difficult up to this point. All the remaining sheeting is 1/16" like the original. It is not really structural and keeps the weight down.

Now the tricky part. There are the two 3/32" sort of ribs that slide over the tongues. Although cut carefully from the plan shapes, in the end they were entirely remade until they fitted. Mind you, the originals were a great help to work from. Then the remaining sheeting / planking from 1/16". Compound curves !!!!!! Much careful carving and fitting. Water brushed on the outer surface and plenty of sticky tape.

More tape but she is beginning to look like a real aeroplane.

Okay, here is my chosen power setup. The motor is an O.S. OMA-3825-750. It is quoted as being the equivalent of an i/c 25. It is the second in a series of four and I do wonder if I should have gone for the less powerful one. But the dimensions are exactly the same and a bit of extra power shouldn't hurt. It will need a rather large propeller however but with the high thrust line, fairly long u/c legs and large 3 1/2"dia wheels we should cope. The mount is a J. Perkins and was chosen so that thrust lines can be adjusted easily. They are designed in on the original but with R/C and a more powerful motor, I would not know where I am. I intended the motor to be inside the cage but changed my mind . It has a nice long nose and there should be lots of space for the ESC. I did think the lipo might go there, but I would then need a ton of lead at the tail.

Alan.

Some more photos. I think we are getting to the drooling stage.

Well, she goes together, sort of. I've just spent a couple of days having to do other things, but got back to it this morning. I am now satisfied that I can seat the tail unit correctly relative to the wings. Also, I have started on the cowl and now waiting for glue to dry. I also use aliphatic, especially for blocking and shaping by sanding. Wont be long now before I can start covering. Then it is fingers crossed for super day for her maiden, Chris.

I deliberately posed the last pic to show what is in progress and to do. S 60 and Popsie kits. The Webbit 52 also awaiting finishing and covering. I hope to do a blog on that project after this one. And, Jim, I hope to get back to the Toot again this year. I do have everything to finish her. Bought a wire u/c at the swapmeet just the right size . Got all the film covering to do the Hawk Pshaw version, spats, cowl etc.

It's a hard life !!

Alan.

Hi Chris,

There is no wash in, or out, built in and none is indicated on the plan. However, I have wondered if the shape of the tips is designed to eliminate that need. What do the aerodynamicists think ? I have not weighed anything yet. The wings and tail, uncovered feel deliciously light. Then the fuselage feels rather heavy in comparison. But that is with nearly all the hard ware already installed. I do feel, however that I may need to add some weight at the tail. And now, on with the cowl, which needs to be as light as possible.

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Back again after, what is for me, an intense session of building, ha! ha! Next picture:

Trust me to get things out of order. Anyway, starting the cowl, we have the nose former of 1/4" ply to which is glued a semi circle of 1/8" balsa. Two sides of 3/32" balsa with triangular longerons and, and the rearmost former which is of two cross grained pieces of 1/8" balsa laminated for toughness. The nose former is very similar to, but slightly larger than that of the original. This is because I could not obtain the specified 2 1/8" diameter spinner, also to allow room for the outrunner which needs more room than the original inverted diesel.

This is what I should have shown first. You will see I have reinforced my laminated underfin with a piano wire skid. This is instead of the fixed tail wheel of the original.

I have screwed the cowl sides to the fuselage, epoxied the nose former, glued the rear former and started planking with 1/8" strips approx 1/4"wide and chamfered.

Another view.

Underneath of cowl built up from 1/2" soft balsa. Retains fairly closely the original's silhouette.

Plenty of cooling air can go into that scoop. I wonder what Ron Aaron's inspiration was ?
Nearly there.

Cowl finished. It is lovely and light. The remaining item is the access hatch. Held by a tongue for'ard and mini magnets at the rear. The oval hole serves two purposes. First to provide an exit for the flow of cooling air and, second, you can insert your fingers to remove the hatch to change the lipo. The hatch carries no load and the integrity of the fuselage is maintained by the 1/32" ply doublers.

And that is all the framework complete. Now to iron on the Solarfilm.

Cheers. Alan.

No more photos yet. That is quite deliberate. In fact, I am only posting to indicate that I am still around. In fact during the last few days I have been ironing on Solarfilm. I have told you that I am a slow worker. I am managing to create the scheme I have 'designed' ?, but a few wrinkles are appearing. However, nobody will see them when it is airborne. I will post again in a few days.

Alan.