'Windy Ain't It'

Hi Chris,

I think the colour scheme is coming on a treat, but will not bear too close scrutiny due to the dithery digits. However, there is a lot be said for being able to work in the house when it comes to cold weather like this. I've done something every day for the past week, but will have to go to appointments this coming week. A bit of an MOT for me on Tuesday and the real MOT on the car on Wednesday. If it is not too traumatic I may go to the LMS on Friday and spend a few pennies.

Jim,
The Toot is very much on my mind again. I picked up a wire u/c at the swapmeet that is going to save me some effort and I have virtually everything to hand to finish her off. However, as soon as Windy is done, I must finish my Webbit 52. That is really only a matter of covering. Solarfilm again and it is a simple shape so should not take too long.

Then, with at least one model complete for the Vintage Build, I want to start the S 60 but do it alongside finishing the Toot. I intend to briefly blog the Webbit but not the S 60 as BB has done such a superb job.

Cheers. Alan.

Takes me back a bit, my windy was built with 1/8" birch ply sides and originally powered by an Irvine 20 diesel, ghastly dirty smelly thing, now has an OS 26 Fs. I fretted out the bulk of the ply and moved the battery in with the engine and lost 10 ounces of lead as well. Prior to this she could only be flown in a blow of some magnitude as it tipstalled so easily. Now it floats, it will loop but doesn't look right and won't stay inverted (you have to try you know) it lands at walking pace. I epoxied a piece of stiff clear plastic to the rudder to increase the area and added a larger elevator.
One small tip, to keep the wings on I epoxied 400 grit paper on the tongues and, when the wings were mounted correctly, drilled a 1/16" hole right through wings and tongues. Brass tubes were epoxied in the wing and short lengths of multicore solder poked through the holes to act as wing retainers that will easily shear.
I haven't flown it for years but will probably get it out this summer as long as the mice haven't eaten the wheels!

Hi Alan,

Thanks for keeping us in suspenders , I know what you mean about dithery digits. I've done the trim on the Super 60 this weekend and I aint a happy bunny. I've tried Flair paint, and wont bother again, can't remember if it's Jim or Bob who said they used Wilco's paint, in future that's the way I'm going.

And another moan how do I turn on the spell checker, since Firefox threw a strop on the laptopamabob, it aint working. Rant over .

If your going to Steve's on Thursday or Friday give us a bell on my personal mobile and I'll meet you there, we can have a coffee and a bun while we're there, and catch up a bit.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 1 month later...

Well Guys, here we are again, eventually. The covering with Solarfilm was something I was certain you would not have wanted a blow by blow description of.

You will see from the next photos that like an ARTF I covered the fuselage and tail units first before attaching them permanently, unlike the original. So the piccies show stab and fin in situ awaiting the triangular fillets. With the dowels, it should be nice and strong. As said before, I am not bothered about adding weight as the nose will be, relatively, heavy. Alan.

Windy 42

I know, I keep saying she wont bear too close inspection. I have used standard Solarfilm and Solartrim. It is fairly good around the plain bits, but rubbish around that curved forward decking. Now for the lettering. I got this clear sticky back film from W.H.Smiths. About four years ago I knew what I wanted and tried the internet but it seemed that what was available was in large quantities and sizes and a tad expensive. Then, I was browsing in my local Smiths and found this stuff in the crafts section rather than PC printer papers. It was called Decadry in A4 size and it worked. I used it for my Merrimog .Merrimog 1

The printing is on the outside, so as MM is glow, I fuel proofed the decals with Clearcote, no smudging or running. When I went to Smiths this time my branch hadn't any so I went to their website. This time, again under 'crafts' it is called ' Window film' and on offer half price. £3-99 a pack of six sheets I bought four packs and did not have pay p&p.

With Windy being leccy, no need for fuel proofing. Makes life easier, but I have not succeeded in bonding my ESC to the motor successfully. Colin is coming in a day or two to hopefully sort me out.

Statistics: Windy is 60" span with wing area approximately 500 sq. ins. Without lipo she weighs 54 oz, which I think is almost exactly one and a half kgs. My hope is that I can fly her as a radio assist model to be enjoyed on a nice calm day. Soon, I hope. Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

Very soon now , Chris, problem sorted. It turned out to be a glitch in the Tx, on the throttle control. Un fortunately, I did something last Sunday and hurt my knees. Two traipses to the hospital on Monday and Wednesday (nothing to do with the knees) and I am having a very bad leg week. I keep saying it, we'll get there.nerd.

Alan.