aileron hinges

David Bess

Advert

Hi David. This is for your 46 inch Spitfire build?

I'm sure someone will be along to suggest otherwise, but I would have thought that the furry cyano hinge material would be suitable for that model.

Mylar is a fexible material. I've not used them but have used furry hinges. These are the ones often supplied with artf models and you fix them with cyano, and then pin them if you are sensible! (a small drill hole through the hinge and a bit of cocktail stick glued in place.)

You can buy strips of the material in a model shop which you cut to size. It's a fairly economic way of hinging small models. The fur just helps the glue stick.

You could use proper hinges. The ones you can get from SLEC might be suitable and are reasonable priced, and you will find hinges on the "Giant Cod" web site.

There are lost of different choices here. The AC hinges look to be what I mean by the furry type and are very cheap. Also consider the round ones, there are lots here of different sizes. And you will find more conventional hinges. The smallest pivot hinges might be suitable for the Spitfire, it will depend a little on the thickness of the material where you need to fit them.

That's the beauty of building, it's up to you!

Edited By GrahamC on 12/01/2012 21:50:44

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, I'm just finishing an ARTF power glider ehich should have come with hinged surfaces -- they weren't, and no material in the box. I'm looking for the flocked hinges mentioned in this thresd. Can anyone give me a trade name and source of some of this stuff?

Graham - I'm off to look st the SLEC site now.....

many thanks

Steve

Posted by steve jones 7 on 28/02/2013 19:59:25:

Graham - I'm off to look st the SLEC site now.....

Whilst you're there, Steve, have a look the building aids section and treat yourelf to a Hinge-fitting Jig. It's not necessarily the best one on the market but I use one and it's very useful in centreing the slitsthumbs up

Pete