liberty 182 alieron control rods

david 7

Hi all, just setting up the control rods for the alerons the servos are mounted the normal way up and not on its side as per instructions, the rod is about 70 mm long when i move the servo to get the 15mm movement on the alieron the rod pulls in at the servo end when moving the aliron up or down about 10mm , i have tried a small servo arm on the servo but does not run straight as i would like it but is better, dont want to put strain on the control horn on the alieron, is it normal for the rod to do this , all my other models have the servo on its side so they run true and straight.
Thanks Dave

Hi all, well i spent many hours last night at work looking at servo set up and movement of servos on the net but not sure how to solve it, i have the servo arm at 90 deg to the servo when servo arm gets to a certain point the rod starts to get pulled at a angle , do i have to much movement on the arm would moving the on to a lower point on the horn help and should the control rod be straight when moving at all times, any takers out there any advise would would be welcomed.
Thanks Dave

Hi David,
Do you have a clevis on the control rod connected to the servo?
These can quite often bind on the servo spline if a central servo
arm hole is used when the servo is near full deflection.
If this is the case try using an outer servo arm hole & an outer control
surface hole to maintain the correct deflection - might be worth trying
a bit of EPA as well if necessary.
If there is this binding problem with clevises an alternative is to make up
new piano wire pushrods with Z bends at the servo horns.
Hope this is of some use.

Thanks for the link steve, was just about to down load photos to photo bucket when the next problem came up the company i work for just filed for bankruptcy you might of seen it on the tv, same old story all ways the last to know.
going to replace the rods, clevis, connectors in a moment i think i could of been moveing the alieron up and down to much will try a bit of adjustment with the servo movement with the radio, what did you think it could of been steve, going to do learn this photo bucket over weekend if it kills me so i can post some pictures at some time.
Thanks Dave

Sorry to hear that David......I guess that puts your job under threat yes? Not good....

From your description I think what you are worried about is that the rotary motion of the servo is moving the pushrod out of alignment with the horn on the control surface.....

Unless this is a huge deviation I wouldn't think it too much to worry about personally.....an idea might be to use a ball joint on the horn as these will take a fair bit of angular displacement or even use this type of horn. These have a built in ball joint to take a bit of angular displacement......not cheap though.....

For posting pics then don't bother with Photobucket.....just create a photo album on the site (go to my photos) then Add More Photos....click on browse & find the pictures you want to upload (only do 2 or 3 at a time however or it tends to fail!!!) Then when you are ready to insert a pic in yer post click on the "Insert Image" button above next to the Youtube icon...find yer pic & click on insert...job done.....

Hi, i whent to photos i have a page that says add new photo album name ,description,create album, how do i insert the picture as there is no browse button on this page i have photos in my documents, doing my head in now WHY EVERY THING GOT TO BE SO DIFFICULT.

It just needs a bit of practice David.....here's what you do......

Click on Create A Photo Album

Put a name in the Album name box.....add a description if you like & decide if you want it to be public or not by ticking the box...public means anyone can view your pics....

Click on Create Album

You then get a new page.....Add New Photos

Click on the Browse button & this takes you to a windows explorer type format.....navigate to the picture you want to upload click on it & then click Open.....this will put the path into the box & return you to the Add A Photo page.....

Repeat for the next few photos (personally I don't add more than 2 or 3 at a time cos I find it falls over!!)

Click on Upload photos.....be patient depending on your connection speed....

You will then see the album......

To use in a posting....click on the Insert Image button....(second from right) & you get three columns.....on the left the list of your albums.....click on the album you want & this brings a list of the album contents in the middle column......click on the photo you want & it appears in the right hand column.....assuming this is the right pic click insert..

Et Voila......your pic should appear in the post.....

Thats wot I do anyway.......

HTH

Aaarrgghhhh NOOOOOO...Somebody stop him......

No problem David.....we all have to learn.....& Patience is my middle name....I know cos my wife tells me so.......at least I think thats what she said.....

BTW you can add more than one pic per post too......

So looking at the pics have I interpreted the problem correctly? If so I don't think I'd worry too much....yes its not perfect but you won't be using full stick movement very much on a Cessna type model anyway & the horns are flexible enough to take up a bit of twisting....

If you can't live with it then either a ball joint or one of the Robart horns mentioned earlier should help.....

Hi David,
Just one thing when you said in the first post...
"when i move the servo to get the 15mm movement on the alieron "

Is that 15mm up and 15mm down you're setting or 15mm total
(up & down combined)?
15mm each way is a lot of aileron travel & I'm just wondering if the
instructions haven't been too clear on this.
A Wot 4 for example has 1/4" up & down aileron, or 1/2 " total travel
which is about 12.5mm.
The position of the pushrod at the hole in the servo arm in the pics
looks like there could well be too much aileron travel.