what size of prop

help needed, im my sebart wind s 110 i i have the recomended X-80 OPTO-Pro ESC and A50-16L motor all Hacker, i want to go 10 cell 2 x 5 cell lipos 4500mAh, what size of prop would be best for that set up, someone did recomend i use a 18x12 prop, but i think that would draw a lot off amps through the motor and possibly fry the motor and the esc, a 18x12 will be ok for the 8 cell set up, would a 17x10 be ok for the 10 cell set up,

I don't have the ability to calculate amps from prop size, but what I do use, and find quite reliable, is WebOCalc, which you can find if you go to the Software button http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/

But, even with a calculator, I hope you've got a wattmeter so that you can verify your actual amps -- manufacturing variances mean that even the best calculators or recommendations can be off by quite a margin.

i sent Hacker a email and there reply was the 18x12 prop is to much for the A50-16L motor as it draws about 90amps, and the 17x10 draws about 60amps, the motor is rated at 45 amp continuous, and a maximum burst of 60amps 15s, so i could be looking at a 16x10 prop as i think this will be he prop to go with the 10 cell set up , i will check it with the amp meter anyway, i just thought i would mention this , rob

Buy different dia props as well as a different pitch. A Propeller is cheaper then a Motor or ESC, and experiment with your watt meter.. Don't forget they would be static tests and the model unloads in the air, (draws less watts.)  And see how it flies in the air, You will soon find your ideal set-up.

Edited By Keith Simmons on 10/02/2012 09:18:49

I've no experience of such large & powerful set ups so can't comment specifically but as a general thought going up by two cells is quite an increase in voltage & would result in a significant increase in revs.

Given that 2 extra cells is a 25% increase I would think you will need to reduce the prop load by a similar amount....

ye thanks guys, a prop is cheaper that an motor or a esc, thats why i hade to be sure i just neded a starting point, i will start with a prop i have which is 16x8 that will draw about 53 amps, it does sound a bit small for the set up and the size of the wind s 110, i did read somewhere a while back that the more cells the smaller the prop and the less cells the bigger, thats wut made me think, Rob