Which Soldering Iron?

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 17/02/2012 15:57:11:

I've actually a collection from my days as a service engineer (later service manager) and while I do have the 'leccy ones (including the Weller gun and Antex), my normal one is a 120W equivalent gas job from Maplin.

Reasons are simple - it's portable (no mains socket required) and yes, I do know about extension cables but just can't seem to control my hand with 30 foot of heavy duty flex dragging on the butt end of the iron. Additionally, it works for any field repairs (when was the last time anyone saw a 13 amp mains socket at the typical flying field?). Again, not having a heating coil with its associated magnetic field, I don't have problems with static blowing any CMOS components (providing I remember to eath myself first).

Being variable temperature controlled, I can manage anything from surface mount components up to and including heavy duty co-ax and PL259 connectors (and the piano wire in the models) just by oving the slider gas regulator with my thumb

I always secure the extension, so that only the iron cable is hanging, but it does make the whole operation less convenient than your gas would be.

I don't repair at the field anymore, at one stage I found I was spending too much time helping others use my tools, and "giving" them spares, so now I take it home.

I haven't soldered the braid of a PL259 for at least 15 years now, but I do remember it was not the easiest of soldering jobs. I use compression or screw on types now, and even with RG8, the centre connector is not much of a challenge.

I have been lucky with CMOS, have never popped a device, and have used ordinary Antex irons. I have an Antex station, but haven't used it since I lost the spare room a few years ago.

I think it has a lot to do with how each person feel comfortable working, I think those who have been soldering fo a long time, don't conciously think about what iron to use for a particular job, they just pick up the one best suited.

Advert

Have not had much luck with soldering irons, i use a gas pen i can solder 6 connectors in about 5 mins a good strong joint for lipos and esc, i would not go with old soldering irons they are more problems than they are worth slow and you can not get the heat wher you want it.

Dave.