Futaba 10cg Lipo LLF Battery Pack!

JayCee

Hi Guys

Any views on this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16529

Futaba Lipo LLF battery pack from our friends at HK

The MiNh battery pack I have has to be charged at least twice a week and then 'Cycled' every couple of months. Have always liked the idea of a Lipo but was concerned about fitting a standard 3 cell because of the high fully charged battery voltage (12.6v)

Anybody use a Lipo as a TX power source? any problems?

Sorry about the full URL was unable to link a 'Target' the web site has changed since I last used it!

JC

Edited By JayCee on 20/02/2012 17:38:15

Advert

I know that people are using LiPos in their trannies, and their 12.6v fully charged voltage is not far off what an 8-cell NiMh pack can reach.

But I'm curious why you have to charge twice a week, and then cycle every couple of months. NiMh packs don't need to be cycled to avoid the "memory effect" like it was supposed that NiCds did, and if you use the standard "wall-wart" type charger, charging overnight before you fly is no big deal, and keeps the pack nicely balanced.

My 10CP has a 1200mAh NiMh pack in it, compared with the 700mAh one that shows in the spec. on Futaba's web site. I can't remember if I changed it, or if Ripmax ship them like that. To my mind NiMh (or LiFePO4) is better than the hassle of having to remove a LiPo every time for charging. Even LiFePO4 should be balance-charged, which is difficult, if not impossible, while in the trannie.

Thanks for your response.

I've only had the TX since July 2011 and it came with a 1200mah battery pack.

I'm retired now so when the weather is kind I go to the club most days, we are lucky that we can fly 7 days a week so it gets a bit of use.

I just liked the idea of only having to charge once every week or so. The LiFe PO4 is quite a rare bird! found one on Ebay £15.00 inc P&P HK or on back order!

Have ordered the one in the 'Link' as it was cheap anyway, but still a bit concerned about the 12.6v fully charged.

However, is is clearly marked ' 1C TX pack LLF Lipo' Any idea what 'LLF' means?

JC

I charge mine on the field every 3 flights but do not like nimh at all and have changed to an overlander nicad which is 1100mAh. My reason is when a nimh nears the end of its capacity the voltage takes a real nosedive, unlike nicads which decline slowly. I would have fitted a lipo in but, tbh, prefer the absolute simplicity of nicads.

...Lovely Large Fire, perhaps?? cheeky

You could be right!

However, I would have thought a top end Futaba TX would have some sort of over voltage protection, have read quite a few posts on people using basic 3 cell lipos without incident.

Still trying to find the the significance of 'LLF' and Transmitter Power Pack clearly marked on the battery implying that it is in some way different from a standard Lipo! Still confused!

When I get it will you try it in your TX first <grin>

JC

Yes, sorry JayCee, not in the best of tastes, perhaps. I don’t know what LLF stands for, probably something quite obscure, or maybe it just looks good. Allan’s Low Load Factor looks to be a very good bet now, though!
However, I don’t think there will be any problems with the lipo, if you consider all the millions, nay billions of lithium polymer packs that are in all the phones, laptops and all the other toys around the world, you hear of few, if any, incidents with these cells, then I reckon they’ve got it just about nailed. They are all fully automatically charged and discharged, generally speaking the operator can’t influence this, so they are never a problem. That rather tends to say something about the problems that modellers have, when they have total control over these functions…
I wouldn’t give it a second thought, my laptops have always had polymer packs, and they are invariably perched on my knees…

Live dangerously, i always say!

Good Luck.

PB

Just one difference between the lithium packs used in phones, cameras, and laptops, and the ones we use; the phone/camera/laptop ones use dedicated chargers and either have integrated charging circuitry that balances the cells -- note how the batteries usually have multiple contacts -- or are single-cell.

With a lipo in a transmitter you need to find a way to balance it while charging. This must surely mean removing the battery for charging, unless you're able to easily get access to the balance plug while it's in situ.

I'd be interested to hear how others do it.

Hi

Yes I think the only way is to remove the battery for charging/balancing which is no big deal if as they claim the battery will last up to five times longer between charges.

The only concern I still have is the 12.6 volt fully charged state of the battery...will it damage the TX or does the TX have some form of over voltage protection.

JC

Hi Jaycee....I have a 10C & was interested in using a LiPo in it for the reasons mentioned....I was a bit concerned by the higher voltage though I do know that many people successfully use them.

Salvation came in the form of a LiFe battery which is nominally 9.9volts. I have fitted one & it has been brilliant.....see here

Just to add a bit more info re- the actual charging of the battery....I have a custom lead that connects my Tx's charging point to the charger....I then pop off the back cover & extract the balance lead so I can connect it....

Since I am charging via the Tx port I tend to keep the current quite low (1A or less) whilst charging as I am unsure of the route the current needs to take....might be via a pcb or quite small section wires. The battery doesn't need charging often though so this is no hardship....

Stating the obvious maybe but you will need a dedicated LiFE setting on your charger...

Edited By Steve Hargreaves on 22/02/2012 10:07:03

Edited By Steve Hargreaves on 22/02/2012 10:09:54

Hi Steve

Ahh, think I just made a mistake, followed your link and ordered one from the De warehouse then after ordering (that's me all over) I read the spec it says it replaces the 8 X AA pack not the 4 X 4 AA pack, doing a quick measure up I'm not sure it will fit!

JC

The pack in my post is the one I use....it fits the Fuby 10C no problem.....its long & thin same shape as rectangular block of 8 x AA cells (2x2x2)....

Irritatingly it comes with a strange connector that doesn't fit the Tx (as I mentioned in my post)....you'll need to cut it off & replace it with a Futaba plug (i cannibalise an extension lead & solder it onto the pack)

Thanks Steve

No problem, Had already ordered the Lipo version so will end up with both to choose from will stick one on good old ebay!!

Apologies for going off topic but when I did my first post I was unable to find a way of targeting a word for the URL and had to post the complete string, the site has changed a bit since I last used it can you point me in the right direction.

JC

I'm very happy with my LiFE one......it just sits at 9.8 volts for ages.......I usually recharge it after 3 hours or so but only put around 5-600 mAh back so theroretically it should last about 9 hours....

Be aware that the incredible voltage stability of these types of batteries mean they hold their voltage right until the very end & then it falls way very rapidly.....it would be wise to keep away from this area!!!

Linking...yes it has changed but got a bit better/easier in my view......simply type what you want the link to say....

Tx LiFe battery..... for example.

Then highlight it, click on the link button (second row 6th from left) paste in your URL & click OK...'tis now a link.....HTH