Spoilerons ? on my Speedo

Hi Guys.

Now I've nearly finished a couple of repairs on my speedo after it's not perfect maiden, I'm thinking of setting it up with spoilerons?? to slow down the model on landing.

I am using a Futaba 6EX 2.4 with a 6 channel rx, what and how do I go about doing this?

The Speedo has no rudder so obviously I still need to retain the function of the ailerons.

Please help the dull one dont know with this before I total it on it's next outing crying

Thanks chaps

Phil

I havent had 6EX for a while but if I remember right there's only 3free mixes. So I mixed each aileron and the elevator to the throttle and switched on and off with a switch. I'm sure some will have a nifty setup to do it with 2 mixes.

I find that spoilerons don't so much slow up the landing, but kill the lift from the wing which alows you to lose height without increasing speed.

Mark.

I fly my Speedo on a Futaba T7C. I use the airbrake function on the T7C, setup with 50% "flap" (ailerons) and 10% elevator. That moves the ailerons up and elevator down when I flick the idle-up (as it would be on a heli) switch.

I don't know if the 6EX also has the airbrake function - I suspect not. I may try something like Mark suggested on mine some time, as it would be better using the throttle stick rather than the "all or nothing" that a switch gives.

Morning all,

this is how I am getting on.

I have connected ailerons to channels 1 & 6.

Activated the flaperon mix on the radio and set so ailerons go up instead of down, I still have aileron operation when the 'flap' switch is activated on the radio. So all or nothing for now.

I then mixed in the elevator to go down when this switch is activated. (just thought, I forgot to check if I still have elevator control when activated)

The amount of travel I set is yet to be determined - unless I'm advised against I'll start off at John's settings.

Am I heading the right way on this one

Thanks all

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 01/03/2012 09:15:47

• 2 weeks later...

I'd better clarify that , I dont know what radio your using but you need

at least 3 programable mixes 1: being flap to elevator (compensation)

2: flap to throttle 3: elevator to throttle a few more mixes need if you actually had flaps as well as just aileron you can get Crow braking ( Butterfly) happening

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I know it's nearly a year since this thread was live but I need advice along similar lines.

I've just set up a Fly Fly "Freebird" sloper, which is very similar to the Speedo. It has aileron/elevator control only and I have set up a landing programme on a Tx switch, to give about 6 mm up travel on the ailerons, whilst still retaining normal aileron control. I have also dialled in about 2mm of UP elevator compensation since my experience of spoilers on a thermal glider is that they make the nose pitch down and UP elevator is required to compensate. I haven't flown this model yet and would welcome any comment from others with similar models on the travel and direction of the control surfaces. The ailerons on the Freebird are top hinged so they have more up than down travel, enabling them to act as spoilerons.