Advert

Well, I seem to have drawn a blank there. As it happen I noticed that the Ben Buckle plan offered says its a FROG 45 (1948) and not the Frog 45 mkII which is some years later so I've ordered that in the hope it is the earlier version. Hopefully it will have less sheet in the sides and more stringers etc. I can but hope.

Ady

Ady

The Mk i was designed around the radially mounted Frog 175 petrol motor - and when they came along it would accept the radially mounted 100 and 180 diesels and the 160 glow.

The Mk II was redrawn at the front to accept beam mounts for the frog 150 diesel (by the time it came out the radila mounted motors were very definitely old hat).

I haven't been able to find a clear enough plan of the Mk I to be able to see if there were any other chanes, I am afraid. HTH

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the response. i had hoped that there would be less sheeted structure, as it would look very nice with a stringered fuselage rather than the all sheet type that is. The only deviations to plans will be addition of inset ailerons and elevators, and the motor mounting for an outrunner motor.

Ady

I have both sets of drawings now,for the Mk1 and Mk2. The Mk1 is exactly as Mike described. It also looks like the MK2 was simplified as well in that many of the Mk1 formers are laminates of ply and balsa, whereas the Mk2 is all balsa except where plywood is necessary. Where this is leading is that my version will be a Mk1 1/2 using the best compromise (To my mind at least) of parts from both drawings. I'll be using a conventional leading edge as opposed to the kit ones that are grooved along the centre to accept the noses of the ribs. One curiousity though. Both drawings omit the tailplane sections (Ribs) so a bit of licence will be needed to draw up a set of ribs. (Next weeks task).

Ady

• 1 year later...

Hi Ady I built my Frog 45 a few years ago now. Its still flying well . Power is a Frog 150 diesel fromthe mid 50's.I Looked for a plan for ages and found the Ben Buckle plan first.It is a lot simpler than the original and apparently lighter.My build blog on our clubs forum is attached if interested.I covered it in Lightspan and its still looks smart after many flights and cleaning sessions . The diesel oil is realy messy.Good luck with your project

. photo Frog.jpg

photo Frog45.jpg

Edited By Engine Doctor on 21/06/2013 09:22:49

• 1 month later...