Which transmitter?

ColdTurkeY_UK

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a transmitter & receiver for my model, I'm pretty keen on buying either the 6EX or the T6J, I have used a 6EX before on a buddy box setup and my dad recently acquired the T6J, which I think is a very smart piece of equipment but yet to try it.

The question I have, to those who have either transmitter, or prefereably anyone who has used both; is simply which in your opinion do you believe is the better value for money?

The only thing ive noticed in a lot of shops is the the 6EX seems to have more in the box (i.e 4 servos, batteries, charger...etc), but no such combo seems to exist for the T6J.

Any advice would be more than helpful from the community.

Regards

Edited By ColdTurkeY_UK on 17/03/2012 17:22:50

Edited By ColdTurkeY_UK on 17/03/2012 17:33:58

Edited By ColdTurkeY_UK on 17/03/2012 17:34:26

Advert

Both are good entry level radios. But be aware that the T6J uses the "new" FHSS system, whereas the 6EX uses the "old" FASST" system.

I'm not familiar with the FHSS system, but from reading forums I understand that it's not superior to the FASST system, but is designed to bring down the price of receivers. I also believe that the two systems are not interchangeable so, once you've made your choice, you'll have to always buy the appropriate receivers.

Look athe the futaba website and do a comparision of the two sets. You will find the T6J is a far superior set in terms of look and functions.

So what if its S-FHSS and not FASST. If you read between the lines, the FHSS system is the one that Futaba are puuting the money into. The new T8J is FHSS and the new high spec large channel sets are now/or will be S-FHSS and FASST.

FHSS rxs are much cheaper than FASST and the new Hobbico RxR planes (Great Planes, Electrifly, Futaba, OS etc etc) are designed for FHSS - think a Futaba version of the Parkzone RTF.

You will get lots of opinion and lots of 'FASST is superior' comments by, well current FASST users who are feeling a bit put out by the new S-FHSS system. This is a similar system used by Hitec, Graupner and many others.

For you and I, there is no difference, the S-FHSS and FASST system are two methods of doing the same thing. There is no difference in relieability of the link, nor the range. If anything, the S-FHSS has a faster frame rate (6.8ms) compared to FASST.

So what, well putting the 'how the radio system works' piece aside and getting away from rhetric, what you want is the set that is the best value for money and in that sense, its the T6J.

BTW, I have used both and the Spectrum DX7.

I must admit I didnt expect such an indepth response from you guys, but I am very grateful to you for it.

I am still a novice in the modelling world and I do not know the difference between FASST and FHSS, actually I dont even know what they mean.

But going on what Christian said that they are two versions of an identical system then I guess it's something I dont really need to worry about?

Anyway I think that although the 'bargain' aspect of the 6EX is appealing, I think I will go down the T6J route. Thanks to you guys for your knowledge, informations, opinions and advice.

FASST Stands for Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology in which the frequency of your transmitter and receiver hops around in tandem, in milliseconds, randomly, no other transmitter and receiver will copy this exact pattern so only you can ever control your model.

FHSS Stands for Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum, and works as above, but somehow costs less