Horse on runway causes air crash....!!

I share my flying field with a horse, the farmers horse he uses for fox hunting (Don't agree with that, but... )

To be fair it pretty much ignores me, and the planes, so I pay little attention to it...

Here's an aerial shot of me and the horse from about 600ft (Field on left)... As you can see, it's doing it's own thing...

My flying field n me from 600ft

I'm the pixel top middle, the horse is the bigger blob middle left... (my runway has been re-mown since)

So, yesterday I was flying the Bipe with my brother in-tow, yapping away... The alarm went off, telling me my 6mins was up (The bipe has power-train issues, that need sorting, and does use alot of battery)

I circled round, but came in too fast, so went up and round a second time

At this point, I noticed out the corner of my eye, that the horse was loitering near the end of the runway..

01 Horse at end of runway

You can just make out the end of the runway to the right of the horse..

Came in for the second attempt, which was going well... Straight down the runway, but the 8-10mph wind was increasing the glide, so I was going to land near the end, and probably roll further still....

THEN... I see the stupid grass munching quadroped, has moved directly in line with the plane.. !!!

02 abort landing

You can just see it's back-end thru the prop...

So, I pulled out at the last second, went around for a THIRD time, and as I turn into the wind, the motor died, and my baby bipe, kinda fell out the sky... crying

Pulled the undercarriage mounts out, and loosened an aileron... DOH..!!

Nothing an hour and some glue wont fix, but I blame the horse... Obviously it was his fault.. wink

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 26/03/2012 11:56:55

Maybe the horse is a STALLion? Were you in stable flight? Was it reqlly the mane cause of the crash? Perhaps you should pin a horseshoe on the side for good luck next time? Sorry you've been saddled with this Chrisie but perhaps you should change tack? Did you shout yourself horse yelling at it?

Still it's a good tail isn't it

Terry

Posted by Terry Walters on 26/03/2012 16:40:07:

Maybe the horse is a STALLion? Were you in stable flight? Was it reqlly the mane cause of the crash? Perhaps you should pin a horseshoe on the side for good luck next time? Sorry you've been saddled with this Chrisie but perhaps you should change tack? Did you shout yourself horse yelling at it?

Still it's a good tail isn't it

Terry

laugh Wipes tea from computer screen. wink Well done Terry.

Hi cycliy.

We fly of a field with travellers horses on it. When we turn up at our patch the horses disperse to the outer parameter fencing. Also we never fly alone so if the horse or horses decide to wonder onto take off/landing aeria theres always somone to move the horses away.

Dave.

Hi Chrisie,

That's hard luck, may be next time you could hang a nose bag on a fence at the far end of the runway. It just brought to mind a scene from an 80's movie, any more would be too much information wink 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 01/04/2012 20:28:44

Hi Terry,

You certainly have a way with words when you have the BIT between your teeth, I always try to keep a tight REIN on my imagination rather than let it Gallop away. May be Chrisie's runway is in fact really a BRIDLE Way wink 2.

After Harry Potter, WINNIE the pooh's on, I know it's LAME, but there's nothing else on, may be it's time I got back in the SADDLE and got out a bit more teeth 2 teeth 2.

Feet in the STIRRUPS, tighten the GIRDLE and RIDE,

HI HO Silver away, Chris.