Sanding tool

Olly P

Hi all,

The other week, my better half dragged me to a fabic shop with her. All was no lost however, as I had been thinking about making a sanding tool to do the job I like least on wings - shaping the leading edge.

I find it very hard to get a consistant and smooth 'roundness' to them when I'm sanding and have been strongly tempted by the permagrit tools, but put off by the price. Anyway I spotted the rolls that had been emptied of fabric leaning in a corner, and asked one of the assistants what they do with them, apparently some are reused, and the ones which have been bashed on the ends go for recyling. anyway I asked for a couple of the 'bashed ones' and got 2 in different diameters anout 3m long.

These tubes are hollow and made of a cardboard like fiberous material. I intend to cut them shorter, probably about 12" long, and then cut in half, soak in watered down PVA and attach some sandpaper to the inside. These should then do a large amount of the sanding smooth and evenly for me. I can also cut some smaller radii to allow me to sand and different angles!

Advert

An excellent idea- but it reminds me of an urban myth I heard at school which was about a bloke who wrote to Swan Vestas (the match company) and offered to save them £X million per year with a simple idea, in return for half the first years savings. Allegedly the company agreed and he told them to only put sandpaper on 1 side of the matchbox- halving their sandpaper costs- and our hero trousered a fortune!

I would also suggest sticking sandpaper on the outside curve too- then you can also sand those internal corners and curves with the same tool.

The cardboard might straighten out if cut open, especially if soaked in a water based glue! Try a piece of scrap PVC plumbing pipe.

The cardboard would be better kept to store rolled up plans or several lengths glued together to store balsa strips etc.